Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
My R1 ate my R6
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for now anyway, in the first practices the Superstock R1 of Aaron Gobert was faster than all the Superbikes...

In fact 4 of the top 6 in Superstock were R1's...I hope this pattern holds...now if SpeedTV would just air Superstock races...:dunno

http://amasuperbike.com/2004/Mar/e/n040303e.htm

·
The World IS Mine
562 Posts
GSXR 1000 fastest thing at Daytona!

Pos. Rider Team Bike Time
1 Ben Spies American Suzuki Suzuki GSX-R1000 1:48.203
2 Jason DiSalvo Yamaha Yamaha R1 1:48.496
3 Jamie Hacking Yamaha Yamaha R1 1:48.643
4 Aaron Gobert Yamaha Yamaha R1 1:48.763
5 Damon Buckmaster Yamaha Yamaha R1 1:49.292
6 Tommy Hayden Kawasaki Kawasaki ZX-10 1:49.442
7 Jason Pridmore No Limit Kawasaki 1:50.181
8 Josh Hayes Kawasaki Kawasaki ZX-10 1:50.263
9 John Haner Hooters Suzuki Suzuki GSX-R1000 1:50.333
10 Vincent Haskovec Valvoline Emgo Suzuki Suzuki GSX-R1000 1:50.873
11 Larry Pegram Yamaha Yamaha R1 1:50.993

Suzuki's Ben Spies won the Superstock pole at Daytona on Wednesday. Spies won the pole by setting his best time on a lap that barely began before the final checkered flag flew. Spies spoiled what would have been an all-Yamaha front row.

His lap time of 1:48.203 was the fastest Superstock time ever, breaking Jason Pridmore's previous lap record of 1:51.567. The time was also quicker than Ben Bostrom's pole time from '03. This is the first race since the Superstock class moved from 750 to 1000ccs.

Spies had a machine problem as time was running out in the session when he pulled behind the pit wall to switch machines. At one point late in the hour Spies was out of the top ten.

Yamaha's Jason DiSalvo was second, having set his best time early in the session.

His teammate, Jamie Hacking, set third best time despite severe pain from a morning crash.

Larry Pegram crashed in turn one but walked away from the crash.

Taken from http://superbikeplanet.com/

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,449 Posts
Hell this class may very well have more hype and drama surrounding it than the SBK's for pity sakes!! I suspect its because the general public can relate better and we have 4 legit contenders for the win on any given sunday.:thumbup

BD

·
It's a racer now
147 Posts
Too bad the top superstock riders won't be in the 200 as they would give them (S.B.) a run for their money its only a matter of time before the superbike class gets phased out.

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,449 Posts
This was only a practice day for the SBK's so to make something of it in terms of the superstock times is foolish as the SBK's will be smokin tomorrow some 1.5-2sec a lap quicker.:fact No disrespect intended towards the SS machines but these are the facts as you'll see come qualifying tomorrow.

BD

·
It's a racer now
147 Posts
No doubt the s.b.'s will pick up the pace for qualifying but the top superstockers where only about a second off the s.b. lap times in practice the two classes will be redundent just like the old fx and superbike classes. Why not have all the top riders in a more cost effective class if the lap times are so close anyway. There aren't that many factory riders in s.b. anymore. Just an observation.

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,864 Posts
:rock

Pretty sweet... Damn Zuk...

- BA

·
It's a racer now
147 Posts
3/3/2004
What Would Daytona Be Without Timing & Scoring Problems?

Copyright 2004, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

The first day of official AMA activity at Daytona has been marked by a series of timing & scoring problems.

The wireless network that is supposed to transfer data from timing & scoring to the press room first started working late in the afternoon. The day started with runners carrying timing sheets from timing & scoring to the press room, until a FAX machine was finally installed in timing & scoring.

Duplicate times and rider names have been common on timing screens all day, with, for example, Jamie Hacking appearing as third-fastest and sixth-fastest at the same time on monitors during Supersport practice.

Fast times by several riders appeared on screens, then disappeared, then appeared again.

Chuck Graves is in an uproar, claiming that Ben Spies' pole time in Superstock qualifying appeared on the screen several minutes after the session ended, and that Spies did not start his lap prior to the checkered flag falling on the session.

At 3:43 p.m., timing & scoring issued times for Formula Xtreme Group #1 qualifying, showing Ben Bostrom fastest at 1:52.800, followed by Miguel Duhamel at 1:53.339 and Vincent Haskovec at 1:54.213.

At 4:02 p.m., timing & scoring issued times for Formula Xtreme Group #2 qualifying, showing Ben Bostrom fastest at 1:52.800, followed by Miguel Duhamel at 1:53.339 and Vincent Haskovec at 1:54.213.

No word on when the system will be up and running correctly, if ever.

·
It's a racer now
147 Posts
Chuck Graves is in an uproar, claiming that Ben Spies' pole time in Superstock qualifying appeared on the screen several minutes after the session ended, and that Spies did not start his lap prior to the checkered flag falling on the session.

This is what I was getting at and yes I do own 4 Honda's and 6 Yamaha's. What's your point? I'm rooting Yamaha all the way you know that. Just have the nacho's ready.LOL.

·
Moving Chicane
768 Posts
Even if the Zook proved to be the fastest SS bike today, to see a new bike like the R1 to be right there is awesome for them.

And if Kawi could have afforded better talent, no doubt you would have seen one of them toward the top of that list.

Sadly Honda seems to be under represented here.

Lets just hope that FX dies a fast and painful death in viewership and the powers that be realize that there is no place for that snoozefest and move up to SS permanently rather than Daytona only.

·
Registered
98 Posts
the ducati of Eric Bostrom was actually the fastest bike at Daytona. First superbike that went under the 47s. ...1min46.800

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,449 Posts
erixR1 said:
Even if the Zook proved to be the fastest SS bike today, to see a new bike like the R1 to be right there is awesome for them.

And if Kawi could have afforded better talent, no doubt you would have seen one of them toward the top of that list.

Sadly Honda seems to be under represented here.

Lets just hope that FX dies a fast and painful death in viewership and the powers that be realize that there is no place for that snoozefest and move up to SS permanently rather than Daytona only.
Yeah its a shame Gobert's VISA issues couldn't be ironed out to enable him to ride in SS on the Honda.

BD

·
My R1 ate my R6
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Look who won the Superstock race....YAMAHA!!!!

Way to go Aaron Gobert! I just wish they could have shut out that Kawi for a Yamaha sweep.

http://amasuperbike.com/2004/Mar/e/n040304m.htm

In other notes, I'm sure we will hear all season long commercials about Honda being the Formula Extreme podium sweeper at Daytona..blah blah blah,,,too bad they aren't compettive in Supersport. I guess they are scared after the ass whooping they took last year in the premier 600 class.

·
mmmmm...black bike
1,856 Posts
Ducati was the fastest!

Eric Bostrom & Ducati On Provisional Daytona Pole
italian bike, american rider shatter lap record
by evan williams
Thursday, March 04, 2004
Pos. Rider Team Bike Time
1 Eric Bostrom Ducati Austin Ducati 999 1:46.835
2 Miguel Duhamel American Honda Honda CBR1000RR 1:48.116
3 Jake Zemke Erion Honda Honda CBR1000RR 1:48.344