Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I emailed Dan today that all the testing at rehearsal went perfectly. The show will start at 6pm Pacific standard time and run for an hour. Topics are listed by Dan and audience questions are encouraged. Please post your questions here (I'll download them tomorrow) and I'll try to answer as many as I can during the 40 minute Q&A during the show.

We are also looking for feedback after the show, so please let us know what you liked and what information was missed that you may like to see in other shows. Talking of that - let us know if you want more of them as I can go into all kinds of specifics about individual topics.

The goal is to help as many riders as possible worldwide have a much safer handling R1 so they can enjoy it more and get a lot better handling from it allowing them to increase their skill levels.

Spread the word because everyone benefits from these events!
Awesome! Thanks to both you and Dan for putting this together.

Here's a question for you - is there anything bad about running pre-load completely maxed out? I've setup my street-going 2009 R1 and I'm currently riding it with 37mm sag in the front and 32mm in the rear and I think I've got the rebound pretty close, but I had to max out the front pre-load to get it where it is.

Is this bad? Are the sag numbers a reasonable place to be?

·
The Lead Farmer
25,425 Posts
Anyone wanting to ask a question of Dave Moss, please post the question in this thread!
I've got a hundred or so, but these will suffice for this venue.

1. Oil temperature concerns when there is a 30-50 degree temperature swing in the forks. Such as the amount of adjustment needed to compensate from morning warmup to the last race of the day. Especially when there is a mixed bag of valves and manufacturers. Would the 20mm Traxxion cart's stand the temp swing better than the 25mm or 30mm Nix kits? Just a generalization and comparison if you would please. Also, what can we do to mitigate these issues? What can exacerbate the issue?

2. Can you explain how you setup the steering dampers on the race bikes you tune? Everyone likes a different feel, but what are the mechanics involved in the proper adjustment. Is there such a thing as the perfect damper setup and how will you know when it's right. Not much info out there on this subject so I wanted to get the dirt out there for the membership.

3. Adaptive technology shocks and forks in the future. I few manufacturers have come out with adaptive technology on dampers and now Ducati has the electronic shock dampening, so what will the future hold? Aftermarket adaptive tech and gas charged internals? How far can we ride the tech wagon before the cost outweighs the benefit?

·
Super Moderator
24,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nice work on the questions, and thanks for signing in Dave!

Keep posting up the questions for the show tomorrow. I know I always have a ton of them, but I'm saving them for later in the event someone posts up the same topic.

Will this be street only?
This session with Dave is going to be street riding. As soon as we complete this one done we will discuss what to do for the next.

·
Super Moderator
24,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So what happened? Is there a link to the video? I'd love to see it.
It's live, tonight at 6:00 PM Pacific Standard time

·
Super Moderator
24,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Not every man really lives
3,263 Posts
Sub'd, wish I had some questions.

Dave really knows his stuff, he's set the suspension on my 06 R1, 09 R6, and my brother's 636 for me (later returned to his settings) all trackside and all within a matter of minutes (different trackdays). Jim @ Catalyst Reaction did my 09 R1 and I'm sure Dave has taught him well; need to bring it back in since installing my TTX rear shock.

He's also a good riding coach/instructor. Did a 2 day school this past August with Keigwins and got some coaching from Dave the second day. Learned a lot about my riding (good/bad), what needed improvement, technique, and built some confidence too.

·
Braaaaapppp!!
3,017 Posts
I think that was the only hour of the day that I was too busy to log in. Any chance of downloading an archive?

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
About this Discussion
77 Replies
35 Participants
DanQ
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing