Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many is too many, have a chance to buy a 2016 a great price but has 37,000 miles, new tires and slip on and no other mods. Runs excellent and it looks very well with no issues but the miles scare me, should pull the trigger. Your input is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Lighting, If they are pleasure and highway speed miles opposed to commuting-city miles then bikes like that are great buys.My 2011 has those miles on it and runs perfectly with no oil consumption.

·
Fuelled by Rice
3,727 Posts
You will just have to negotiate into the asking prices the cost of the major service which is due soon. It would be due for valve check soon which for full service is close to $1000 at dealer I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
How many is too many, have a chance to buy a 2016 a great price but has 37,000 miles, new tires and slip on and no other mods. Runs excellent and it looks very well with no issues but the miles scare me, should pull the trigger. Your input is appreciated, thanks.
Depends on how it was broken in, ridden, and maintained .

I have 1998 R1 I bought new . . . now with 55,000 miles . I broke it in as specified by Yamaha, changed oil/filter every 2000-3000 miles and kept it well serviced . It uses NO oil and shows no signs of having any engine problems . This motor is so under stressed that I can think of no reason why it shouldn't run many many more miles without problems . This is just my opinion though .

·
Twisty Roads for me!
872 Posts
Pull the trigger for the right price.

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,155 Posts
Just Do It - Nikay

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have seen R1 motors with 160k kms /100k miles and still no problems with it. there're good motors if you look after them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, at the end couldn't negotiate pricing with the dealer, they stated a price and when I went ready to purchase(cash) they pulled a snake move and attached fees and junk so I had no choice, really wanted the bike, back to my trustee 2010.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts