Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I got a 98 r1 with low km. i have heard is they have some issues with the front ends and some people are useing the rear suspension link off the 2001 model. can anyone shed some light on this for me.and also what so of tyres are good for R1s

Paul

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
Hi

I got a 98 r1 with low km. i have heard is they have some issues with the front ends and some people are useing the rear suspension link off the 2001 model. can anyone shed some light on this for me.and also what so of tyres are good for R1s

Paul
98-01 links are exactly the same.:fact

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
thats funny i was talking to peter at prommecha and siad that people are doing this mod.
ask him exactly what he thinks the difference in them is then?:lol i bet he doesn't even know!

·
Downunder wonder
62 Posts
the 02-03 link (dogbone) is the one you want. It is 165mm centre to centre. The 98-01 link is 175mm, This will raise the back a good amount and improve the steering. but you might want to invest in a steering dampner

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hay

Thanks for you help arwon i have already picked up a dampner from ebay and and i will be sending the frontend to prommecha in melb he has done setups for me before and it knocked a few seconds off my lap times around the island.
So blur1 do you know peter at prommecha. or are you a suspension Expert.

Shafs

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
Hay

Thanks for you help arwon i have already picked up a dampner from ebay and and i will be sending the frontend to prommecha in melb he has done setups for me before and it knocked a few seconds off my lap times around the island.
So blur1 do you know peter at prommecha. or are you a suspension Expert.

Shafs
well obviously he isn't as there is NO DIFFERENCE :fact between 98-01. like i said, ask him what the actual difference he 'thinks' there is and get back to me!:1pok: and yes i know more about r1 suspension than him OBVIOUSLY.:lol:eek:wwn3d

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if you are the expert and you know more than Prommecher why didn't you say it was the 02/03 model. and please tell me where your bike suspension shop is because i will bring the bike to you. it sounds like its in lygon st i am right.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
So if you are the expert and you know more than Prommecher why didn't you say it was the 02/03 model. and please tell me where your bike suspension shop is because i will bring the bike to you. it sounds like its in lygon st i am right.
you didn't ask if the 02-03 will fit. btw i wouldn't take my pushbike to amatuermecha. it's ok to admit i was right though!:eek:wwn3d:lol

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
oh and btw einstein... it's PROMECHA!:fact

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Just to add more fuel to the fire I can confirm the 98-01 dogbones have no difference throughout that year range and they are indeed 175mm center-to-center and the 02-03 are 165mm std. I have this one which has been shortened to 160mm for my '03 but I've yet to try it... I'll post up when I have with my experiences with it :thumbup

As for tyres, my personal favourites at the moment are Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I brought a lowering link for draging 2 position but the first is stuffall difference (182mm)and the next too far (210) so i was going to cut and reweld but was having trouble trusting the material once it was heated enough to change the temper 6061t6 aluminium.
Marcaztls are you sure its not going to dump you ?

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
I brought a lowering link for draging 2 position but the first is stuffall difference (182mm)and the next too far (210) so i was going to cut and reweld but was having trouble trusting the material once it was heated enough to change the temper 6061t6 aluminium.
Marcaztls are you sure its not going to dump you ?
Yes I'm very confident. It's been very well welded and has perviously been used on a racetrack by a major team so it's been tested quite well :sneaky

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.