Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a fantastic day at the track yesterday. The more I ride it on the track, the more impressive it is. :bow

It was at Sears Point (Infineon/Sonoma for the teeny boppers) with Zoom Zoom at the Yamaha Appreciation day yesterday 8/14/17. fantastic event

I ran the stock Bridgestone's with 1700 hard miles on them and used Bridgestone's recommended cold pressures for track days (Front 28 psi, Rear 25 psi). I did used my tire warmers before and between sessions.

I used Mode A with the suspension set to A2. Front sag is 39mm and rear sag is 27. The forks used all of their travel so I need more front pre-load.

I weigh 180lb in full track gear.

I ran A group at a mid-pack pace and found the limits of lean and grip. Slide control, lift control and traction control systems all activated and worked amazingly well. I recently added a flash tune and auto-blipper and OMG, I can't imagine running on track without an auto-blipper ever again. I remember being amazed when I first used a slipper clutch but this is a giant leap ahead of that.

I have attached some pictures of my tire wear after my last session.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks like a very good tyre wear, almost perfect.
I'm picking up my R1 today and already have transonic blip assist on the way :D yes I had BSD blipper on my old 1199 before and absolutely loving it. You are right, leaps ahead of slipper clutch, even if just for the giggle factor

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must be the perfect weight for the bike. All I did was use the recommended settings and ride the tits off it. Even the standard sag was correct. I took out some front pre-load but now I'm adding it back.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,347 Posts
I'm not really understanding how a slipper even compares to a blipper??? These last few post have me confused. Isn't a blipper just a sudden fast rpm gain that happens while downshifting to make it where you don't have to use the clutch or even blip the throttle??? Or does it continue to keep the rpms at a level where it's like not having any engine breaking kinda like a 2 stroke feel??? I've not had any experience with a slipper or blipper but when reading comments like a blipper far better than a slipper it has me wondering exactly what it is capable of. Until now I thought it only blipped the rpms for you a split second when you downshift and that's it??? But now I wonder if it does more. Even slippers have kinda confused me because when I watch a onboard camera ride on the track and when they downshift I still see and hear the rpms rise like it's still engine breaking. Maybe it just cuts out a good portion of the rev and engine breaking but still has some. So does a blipper do more than just blip where it eliminates the need of a slipper?? Meaning does it blip then continue to add in just enough rpms to drastically cut down engine breaking??

·
Registered
367 Posts
Had a fantastic day at the track yesterday. The more I ride it on the track, the more impressive it is. :bow

It was at Sears Point (Infineon/Sonoma for the teeny boppers) with Zoom Zoom at the Yamaha Appreciation day yesterday 8/14/17. fantastic event

I ran the stock Bridgestone's with 1700 hard miles on them and used Bridgestone's recommended cold pressures for track days (Front 28 psi, Rear 25 psi). I did used my tire warmers before and between sessions.

I used Mode A with the suspension set to A2. Front sag is 39mm and rear sag is 27. The forks used all of their travel so I need more front pre-load.

I weigh 180lb in full track gear.

I ran A group at a mid-pack pace and found the limits of lean and grip. Slide control, lift control and traction control systems all activated and worked amazingly well. I recently added a flash tune and auto-blipper and OMG, I can't imagine running on track without an auto-blipper ever again. I remember being amazed when I first used a slipper clutch but this is a giant leap ahead of that.

I have attached some pictures of my tire wear after my last session.

How much wiggle room do you have on the preload adjustment for your weight?

·
My R1 go to warp drive
498 Posts
I'm not really understanding how a slipper even compares to a blipper??? These last few post have me confused. Isn't a blipper just a sudden fast rpm gain that happens while downshifting to make it where you don't have to use the clutch or even blip the throttle??? Or does it continue to keep the rpms at a level where it's like not having any engine breaking kinda like a 2 stroke feel??? I've not had any experience with a slipper or blipper but when reading comments like a blipper far better than a slipper it has me wondering exactly what it is capable of. Until now I thought it only blipped the rpms for you a split second when you downshift and that's it??? But now I wonder if it does more. Even slippers have kinda confused me because when I watch a onboard camera ride on the track and when they downshift I still see and hear the rpms rise like it's still engine breaking. Maybe it just cuts out a good portion of the rev and engine breaking but still has some. So does a blipper do more than just blip where it eliminates the need of a slipper?? Meaning does it blip then continue to add in just enough rpms to drastically cut down engine breaking??
Both systems are basically so you can pound down on the gears while coming into a corner without worrying about locking your rear. Yes you are right about them being completely two different systems but they both regulate the rear wheel from locking up.

" Isn't a blipper just a sudden fast rpm gain that happens while downshifting to make it where you don't have to use the clutch or even blip the throttle" Yes, perfect blips for you. Scary shit at first, it spins the throttle in your hand as it blips. Got help you if that thing fails.
"Or does it continue to keep the rpms at a level where it's like not having any engine breaking kinda like a 2 stroke feel" Yes and no. Proper blips equate to decrease engine braking so wheel doesn't lock up. If you know how to blip while down shifting a sport bike an auto blipper does the exact same thing, only its perfect and "faster"

"I still see and hear the rpms rise like it's still engine breaking" It's slipping the clutch not disengaging the clutch, that is why RPM still go up...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Each manufacturer is different. The R1 has a slipper clutch and ECU management of engine braking. When you add an auto-blipper you get ECU management of all three. The effect is seamless downshifts and ECU management of rear wheel drag after the shift.

·
Gian11
1,577 Posts
I kinda have same understanding. I had the blipper alone and at hard braking downshifting many gears I was still getting a bit upset chassis. Installed an EVR slipper clutch and damn... the bike downshifts and goes into corners like a dream.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts