Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im getting rid of my R6 racebike and intend to use my R1 for a street/track hybrid for a year ( or maybe 2 ).

First question - does anyone know of a way to increase the ride height with the stock R1 shock? I havent heard of any.

Has anyone had experience with the Brembo GP Radial Pump brake master cylinder? Im looking for the cheapest way to get more bite from the brakes. I have EBC HH pads and SS lines but the bike just doesent have enough stopping power and Id rather not spend $$$ on new rotors.

And has anyone tried rearsets with ball bearings ( like the Arata or Sato ) - does the action improve that much - seems like the rearsets that have that feature cost $100-150 more, want to find out if its worth it.

EDIT - I forgot to mention the year of my bike - its an 03.

·
02 for sale
591 Posts
kneedrag,

I have an '02 with the brembo radial brake and the Sato rear sets;

I felt more of a difference when I went to SS lines than I did when I installed the brembo cylinder. Although the feel of the brembo is incredible compared to the stock one, for your goal of increased braking response at a discount, I recommend just going with the SS lines. The '04 R1 now has radial mount master cylinder stock I believe in addition to their calipers. Just wait for a few months and their will be plenty to be found on ebay.

The Sato rear sets are nice but they are pricey, range of position adjustment is greater and the shifting feels very precise.

hope it helps
JOhn

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
the cheapest way to alter ride height would be to get a shorter or adjustable dog-bone link.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
blur1 said:
the cheapest way to alter ride height would be to get a shorter or adjustable dog-bone link.
Could you elaborate on this dog-bone link. Im not famaliar with this modification.

EDIT - Actually I just did a web search, found a ERP link and a graves link. I will try to find more details. The ERP looks like it raises the rear 15mm, which is quite a lot.

EDIT #2 - Found a Metisse dog-bone link that raises 25mm. The graves actually reduces ride height. If anyone knows of any others please post up.

25mm seems huge, my R6 is raised 14mm in the rear and it steers extremely fast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by jqd02R1 The '04 R1 now has radial mount master cylinder stock I believe in addition to their calipers. Just wait for a few months and their will be plenty to be found on ebay.

I wonder if that whole setup, the master cylinder and the calipers will be a bolt on upgrade to the 02-03 bike. That would be a nice effective low cost brake upgrade.

·
02 for sale
591 Posts
I've been talking to a guy who raced the '02 R1 in the west coast this past year and he told me that the problem with the R1 was that it spins the rear on corner exit because it squats too much. He raised his rear ride height as much as possible (Ohlins rear with 10mm longer eye lid) and raised the forks through the clamps 4mm. It still did it and the bike only had 150 hp....when he raced at VIR (AMA) the Graves crew told him that they used their shock linkage to reduce that wheelspin (antisquat) by altering the angle of the shock...it should not alter the ride height.

After using it, he did not have that problem anymore. I have hte exact same set-up that he ran and had similar (wheelspin) problems. I will get the Graves link and see for myself.

Hope this helps,
JOhn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I havent run into any problems getting drives out of corners on my R1, but I only did one trackday with it and I was 8 seconds off the times I set with my R6. So I guess you could say I wasnt running it very hard ;)

I nearly highsided the thing on the street a couple times but thats another story.

I was really just looking for a cheap way to get the bike to steer quicker without altering the ground clearance.

I read an article the other day about large rear sprocket size negatively affecting drive out of corners because of antisquat characteristics. Im wondering if thats why my R6 spins it up so bad, it has a 52-tooth sprocket on the back.

·
Broke ass rider.......
98 Posts
I'm sure all the suspension "EXPERTS" will argue but on my R1 99model, I actually installed a stock 03 R6 linkage which helped turn in and helped counter act a little of the excessive "squat" I was experiencing coming off tighter corners.

·
Have you been bitten yet?
939 Posts
KneeDragr said:
I wonder if that whole setup, the master cylinder and the calipers will be a bolt on upgrade to the 02-03 bike. That would be a nice effective low cost brake upgrade.
Ive been thinking of doing this to my 02 when 04s start crashing and ending up on Ebay. However you will need the forks front rotors and maybe the 04 wheel too. You need the forks to mount the radial calipers and you need the rotors because now they are 320 mm instead of 298's any way thats a start, you may even need the 04's tripple tree we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
KneeDragr said:
Could you elaborate on this dog-bone link. Im not famaliar with this modification.

EDIT - Actually I just did a web search, found a ERP link and a graves link. I will try to find more details. The ERP looks like it raises the rear 15mm, which is quite a lot.

EDIT #2 - Found a Metisse dog-bone link that raises 25mm. The graves actually reduces ride height. If anyone knows of any others please post up.

25mm seems huge, my R6 is raised 14mm in the rear and it steers extremely fast.
speedlink and over racing also make links. both are adjustable

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
blur1 said:
speedlink and over racing also make links. both are adjustable
I cant fine their websites or places that sell their products - anyone have more info?

Oh and blur1, you were able to fit both the over racing adjuster and the graves triangular link?

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
KneeDragr said:
I cant fine their websites or places that sell their products - anyone have more info?

Oh and blur1, you were able to fit both the over racing adjuster and the graves triangular link?
yes because the graves dogbone isnt adjustable, whereas the overracing one is. i didnt use the graves dogbone link in other words.

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
KneeDragr said:
Hey blur1, check your PM's please.
done:hellobye btw anyone wondering, the graves dogbone is 157mm eye to eye, and standard on mine (98 model) is 170mm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts