Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I like to build things. I want to know how hard it would be to build an R1. I can purchase all the parts and stuff I don't mind spending money. I just want to do it myself so I know I did it right. I also want to do this to understand the motorcycle better before I drive it. My main question is there any sort of "VIN" like on cars or something? You can't go out and buy a new Car Chassis. But can you buy a Motorcycle one? Then if I do build it. How would I register it at the local department of licensing. If there is any links or information you guys could give me I'd really appreciate it. Also where is a good place to buy OEM parts. Thanks!

·
Yes it's fast...NO you can't!
307 Posts
Are you a glutton for punishment or what??? I have torn down my One to bare bones and it was no easy task getting everything back together. All I can say is get verrry familiar with Yamaha's service manual. It gives you everything (and I mean to the most minute detail) on how to fix/pu together the bike. As far as DMV, i'm sure that varies state to state. :eek: And it does have a VIN.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the R1 will not be my daily commuting vehicle or anything. It is more of a just for fun project. Something to do with friends or my girlfriend on the weekends and stuff. Doesn't have to be a one weekend project. I don't mind if it takes me a whole year to build one. I guess from reading your posts its do-able just a PITA... Well okay then are there any websites you guys recommend etc? For the Motorcycle is there only one VIN number on the chassis? or is there a VIN number on everything. Like in cars they have a VIN number on the doors, hood, chassis, etc. I guess the licensing stuff I will figure out later on. I have about 16k I can spend into this project. I do have quite a bit of knowledge in cars and I imagine this to be in some ways simliar just with half the wheels.

·
Yes it's fast...NO you can't!
307 Posts
I have fooled with cars/motorcycles most of my life and i'm here to tell ya putting a motorcycle together ain't no easy task. Granted it is easier than a car just for the fact that you don't have confined spaces to stuff parts/engine. As far as I can remember there is only one VIN on the left side of the chassis up toward the triple tree. Websites, stick with the forum these guys have tons of knowledge to give and willingly. The upside to this is you get to pick and choose the parts you want oinstead of all stock. I look forward to some pics when you get started.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol Pics? First pick will be a frame. But yea I gues I could choose what I want instead of all stock. That would be nice. But there's one thing I guess I should say. I've never owned or riden a motorcycle before. Now I bet people are gonna start pushing me away from building/owning an R1 as my first bike. But I've had my share of knowledge and I am very aware of the dangers of a R1. I know they are devils. They are freakin fast and powerful. I will however plan to drive it carefully and only in a huge public parking lot. I plan to build it myself to get a better understanding of it. I rebuilt part of my previous car and putting my heart and soul into it for some reason made the car perform better than it should. I was pulling low 16s on a 4 cyclinder family wagon O_O. I don't know what made it. But it was all bone stock but the exhaust which I added just for a nice deep tone. But even with the exhaust I should not be doing a whole second faster than the quarter time it was suppose to be at. But the other main reason for the project is my girlfriend. This city of ours that we grew up in has become can we say a bit boring? I hope this would be a fun project I can share with her. SAR do you have any tips? I will get a Service manual and study it front to back first before I attempt to start building.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was at a race track. I don't street race or anything. I went that day actually to watch. But my friends wanted me in so I gave it a shot and did one run. I really don't plan to use the bike that much. More of a project for fun thing. I've registered for a couple motorcycle training courses in my area. I plan to take the "superbike" class in cali before i start taking the bike onto the road as a commuting bike.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Kid Loops said:
are you being serious? after that low 16's comment i'm not so sure anymore.
WTF?? building a wagon to run 16's cuz the city is boring?? build a bowling alley.... that should drum up some fun!!

:no

·
It's possible to push so I win
183 Posts
LaZy4zNbOi said:
Okay I like to build things. I want to know how hard it would be to build an R1. I can purchase all the parts and stuff I don't mind spending money. I just want to do it myself so I know I did it right. I also want to do this to understand the motorcycle better before I drive it. My main question is there any sort of "VIN" like on cars or something? You can't go out and buy a new Car Chassis. But can you buy a Motorcycle one? Then if I do build it. How would I register it at the local department of licensing. If there is any links or information you guys could give me I'd really appreciate it. Also where is a good place to buy OEM parts. Thanks!
Catastophic exercise of judgment. Trust me, go to your local dealer, fork over some fun tickets, and ride home on an R1. If you're really keen, purchase the service manual for some light bedtime reading. If you want to know what you'd be getting into, think about giving an orangutan a Mechano set. Disaster awaits.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: R1 Newbie

Randall said:
Catastophic exercise of judgment. Trust me, go to your local dealer, fork over some fun tickets, and ride home on an R1. If you're really keen, purchase the service manual for some light bedtime reading. If you want to know what you'd be getting into, think about giving an orangutan a Mechano set. Disaster awaits.
Well I guess I'm the orangutan... I really do take pride in my work and I make sure I've done it correctly. I have a good friend who has worked on quite a few bikes. But his are all hondas. I don't feel this is a bad project. I don't see whats the harm in trying. In the end if I fail its basically off to ebay. Why not give it a shot? The purpose of this project is not to kill myslef, race, or have a new daily commute vehicle. I admit I find it easier to commute by bus. I don't drive even though I have access to two vehicles. So is there really something wrong with me giving this project a shot? :dunno I mean Okay you guys have warned me. Now how about letting me try it out. I won't blame you guys for not warning me. You guys have.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts