Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

My 2017 R1 is in the shop right for a new set of Ohlins FGR forks.

I wonder about the mounting height of the forks.
My guy says they are supposed to sit flush with the upper triple tree clamp but I am not 100% certain that is the case.

Any help or knowledge on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the super quick response Redgecko!

Yes I figured different riders like different mounting heights but starting out with the highest possible setting seemed maybe the like the wrong way to go.

The picture you attached is with extenders so that the rider could push the height even more?

OEM style setting would be what in comparison to the flush mounting position?

Cheers!

·
I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,659 Posts
Thanks for the super quick response Redgecko!

Yes I figured different riders like different mounting heights but starting out with the highest possible setting seemed maybe the like the wrong way to go.

The picture you attached is with extenders so that the rider could push the height even more?

OEM style setting would be what in comparison to the flush mounting position?

Cheers!
R1M Ohlins sit 2 up as std if that helps

Attachments

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I’ve read many times that the front of the 15+ R1 should be raised as opposed to the 2009-2014 R1 where the majority of the benefit came from raising the rear.
On the 09-14, I think they (Graves/WSBK) raised the rear ride height more for aiding traction rather than handling. Also they used YEC triples that had a lower upper clamp to push the OEM fork body as low as possible.

I would assume the 15+ bike would be designed to eliminate the traction issues from the previous model and that by raising the front (very common in the local club racing scene) you gain back some agility during side to side transitions.

OP: I’d start at the OEM height and make adjustments from there to see what you like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for their input.
After all the comments and also speaking to Motorsport Exotica here in California we decided to let the fork sit higher in the clamp to start out with.

Going for the first ride now with the new forks, let's see :)

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have no idea on the specs of the triple you are using but if its aftermarket from stock and depending on how that's configured you could have different numbers than if you were running a stock triple, my Attack Performance triples I know were not the same spec as stock the upper triple where the fork legs go through was lower than the oem unit if I remember correctly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts