Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· WHERE'D WHO GO?
1,283 Posts
i honestly probably never shift at the same points, unless I am racing, then it is right after the light

· X R1 X
736 Posts
wildgoose said:
WHAT ARE THE RECOMMENDED SHIFT POINTS ON A STOCK R1.(RPM AND MPH FOR 1-6TH)
That is a good question, I read my manual and it states:
1st->2nd at 12.5 mph
2nd->3rd at 19 mph
3rd->4th at 25 mph
4th->5th at 31 mph
5th->6th at 37.5 mph

Down shifting:
all listed at 15.5 mph??? :dunno

Do you guys downshift as you slow down or just brake then downshift at a stop, or clutch in then shift down? Sounds like a stupid question...just wanted to get a feel for others view on it.
:dunno

· Searching for Greener Pastures
11,155 Posts
Re: Re: R1 Shift Points

jmartens said:
That is a good question, I read my manual and it states:
1st->2nd at 12.5 mph
2nd->3rd at 19 mph
3rd->4th at 25 mph
4th->5th at 31 mph
5th->6th at 37.5 mph

Down shifting:
all listed at 15.5 mph??? :dunno

Do you guys downshift as you slow down or just brake then downshift at a stop, or clutch in then shift down? Sounds like a stupid question...just wanted to get a feel for others view on it.
:dunno
I wouldn't recommend those shift points if you are racing a Busa....:D

· Conjugal Visitor
363 Posts
I tend to shift down, let out clutch, shift down, let out clutch. I let the engine do some breaking, plus it sounds cool!

· Until it sleeps
5,443 Posts
I downshift, blip throttle and let out clutch, as i slow down ;), if im stopped and still in 6th gear, its a bitch to try and get it into 1st. I usually have to feather the clutch in order to get it to downshift. Dont know why. But if im moving it down shifts perfectly.

I can say that if im tooling around town, thats pretty close to my shift points though

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When for my first ride on my r1 today and the reason i asked about the shift points is because i dont have an owners manual and while driving the bike i reved up the gears pretty hard and the shift light never came on.I was shifting around 6-7000 rpm threw the gears.

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Actually folks, the shift light is programable... it will switch on at the point set by you.
Rev her as high as you need to get the thrust you want after shifting. In cruise mode you may easily shift at 4000rpm, in "race" mode you will want to use the full band...

· X R1 X
736 Posts
wildgoose said:
When for my first ride on my r1 today and the reason i asked about the shift points is because i dont have an owners manual and while driving the bike i reved up the gears pretty hard and the shift light never came on.I was shifting around 6-7000 rpm threw the gears.
Hey bud!

If that is a new R1 you are on, I would keep her at or under 4k for the first couple hundred miles....just my opinion and this topic alone can open a whole new can of worms with break in procedures etc.....:thumbup

· X R1 X
736 Posts
Looneybomber said:
I downshift, blip throttle and let out clutch, as i slow down ;), if im stopped and still in 6th gear, its a bitch to try and get it into 1st. I usually have to feather the clutch in order to get it to downshift. Dont know why. But if im moving it down shifts perfectly.

I can say that if im tooling around town, thats pretty close to my shift points though
Right on Looney! I have the same issue with not being able to find first gear sometimes and feel like a horses ass stuck at the stop light looking like i need the owners manual to figure it out!:dunno

So is this a normal thing or what?

· 70,000 miles on 4 R1's 01-04
2,384 Posts
jmartens said:
Right on Looney! I have the same issue with not being able to find first gear sometimes and feel like a horses ass stuck at the stop light looking like i need the owners manual to figure it out!:dunno

So is this a normal thing or what?
Mine does it too, Ive found that rocking it helps it get down through the gears when stopped, but now im a blippin down shifter, its more fun that way :thumbup

· Registered
57 Posts
To get it to downshift while sitting still just let out some clutch almost as if you were getting ready to take off and the gear will go down easily, you dont have to jam on the lever. Mine has done it since new and my buddies 954 does it so id say its pretty normal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.