Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
ok guys, i have found an R1 shock 2005-2006 and i am hoping that it will fit a 2008 R6?
can i ask why would you want to fit an R1 shock onto your R6?? i would say that the R6 shock is way better than the R1 shock...

They have different bottom linkage fitting plus the R6's shock is a bit shorter as in total length!

I am currently running an R1 stock shock with a 2007 R6 spring on it with the proper spacers to achive the lenght of my R1 spring!

·
working hard
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i could not find an ohlins or k-teck shock for the R6 but i found a secound hand ohlins R1 shock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Now we are talking....... Haha! Unfortunately the shocks have different linkage fittings! Plus different overall length as I mentioned before!

·
O'Gradys Paint
1,290 Posts
You need to match the stroke and total length, eyelet to eyelet...other than that any shock will work as long as you have physical clearance for it. Spring rates can be fairly similar (chances are if you measured sag you'd have to change your springs regardless) same as the valving.

·
O'Gradys Paint
1,290 Posts
Now we are talking....... Haha! Unfortunately the shocks have different linkage fittings! Plus different overall length as I mentioned before!
If he's looking at an Ohlins, and it didn't come off OEM, it's got height adjustment...
Now it's just a matter of can it be brought within range? Usually nothing wrong with being a few mm too long, more of an issue if it's too short. The eyelet that screws out for height adjustment has a mark near center in the threads as a max length...(basically what ohlins knows to be 0% failure rate and over egineered for the task)...you can safely go past it a bit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If he's looking at an Ohlins, and it didn't come off OEM, it's got height adjustment...
Now it's just a matter of can it be brought within range? Usually nothing wrong with being a few mm to long, more of an issue if it's to short. The eyelet that screws out for height adjustment has a mark near center in the threads as a max length...(basically what ohlins knows to be 0% failure rate and over egineered for the task)...you can safely go past it a bit.

True regards to height adjustment with an ohlins rear shock but what about the linkage fitting??

R1 ohlins rear shock:

http://www.5by5discountcycle.com/motorcycle-parts-accessories/images/D/R6 12.jpg

look how it mounts on the linkage

R6 ohlins rear shock:

http://www.gravesport.com/images/P/graves-r6-ohlins.jpg

Is it possible to change those lets say "adapters" to make it fit to different linkage type??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts