Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does 18 R1 have the ability to shut itself down due to ECT temps? I was letting my bike run at idle and I heard it shut off. Went outside, was at 233F w/fan blowing only.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,116 Posts
i've wondered this about a couple of bikes over the years.. would seem the recent models run
hotter, even than our own Gen I. One of the things I did during break-in was in between some
'hot runs' I would pull over to the side of the road and observe a full cycle (temps going up till
fan turns on and thus temp stabilizes) a couple of times. Mind you in regular use its not
very often i just leave her running for long periods. I guess its possible its shut off on its own
maybe once over the years but for the most part I think it just keeps churning away, no issues.
I have at least one or two memories of me realizing i left my wallet or phone behind and had
to run into the house looking for it, bike was def. running when i returned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
dude that is a pretty damn high temp for any motorcycle. my '18 has never exceeded 210F. my fans come on at 200F i think.
note: i have a full exhaust system, high flow intake filter, and has been flashed with FT ECU. i live in los angeles, ca.
edit: in the past, i have seen my '11 CBR1000RR go up to 220F. no more than that.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
No that shouldnt shut off. That isnt that high if your bike isn't flashed. 240 is getting high. It's possibly the fan came on and drew power and it sputtered out. I would check if you can replicate it

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,116 Posts
i didnt chime in on the actual temps cause i hate Fahrenheit , but yeah fans should kick in earlier than that.

i dont think ive seen those temps, but we lucky weather-wise up here.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I think 232 is 111c so it's warm but for stock fans that kick on at 105 it's not bad it's traffic on a warm day. Guys have hit 240-245 in traffic. I have been up to 260 towing with other vehicles so they will go there without issue but it isn't ideal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didnt chime in on the actual temps cause i hate Fahrenheit , but yeah fans should kick in earlier than that.

i dont think ive seen those temps, but we lucky weather-wise up here.
dude that is a pretty damn high temp for any motorcycle. my '18 has never exceeded 210F. my fans come on at 200F i think.
note: i have a full exhaust system, high flow intake filter, and has been flashed with FT ECU. i live in los angeles, ca.
edit: in the past, i have seen my '11 CBR1000RR go up to 220F. no more than that.
Yeah, what I'm thinking too. I rarely see it go above 220F (104 C), normally running 165-190F. I've never seen 230+ on this bike.
Only thing was the battery was dead, so I just started it and let it run for a bit (around 50F outside temp). Next thing I know
it died. Going to retest again in a few mins.

Have appt for 4,000 mile maint on Thu. Getting new battery, probably new tires and then its off to terrorize the streets again.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,116 Posts
Yeah, what I'm thinking too. I rarely see it go above 220F (104 C), normally running 165-190F. I've never seen 230+ on this bike.
maybe its because i've been running engine ice for years.. but i agree, ist not just that i hate F. deg but to be honest i never see those temps.. when i stop n' wait for others on a ride, i shut if off pretty quick. i honestly think i'm only riding within 165 to 190F. i know the fans come on and all that so it must be hitting at lest 210 when i stop here 'n there, but i guess i dont pay attention to it that much..

i never see 220.. nope

·
Registered
996 Posts
A different Yamaha model that I’ve owned in the past would shut off after idling for a set amount of time (2012 Yamaha Roadstar). Air cooled v-twin so a much different bike other than the brand. It was something like 10-12 or maybe even 20 minutes. Can’t remember the time but it definitely shuts off if you just start it and let it idle for a long time. No idea if the R1 has that programmed into it but something to consider.

Maybe ask a dealer mechanic about it but I wouldn’t really expect them to know (save a few).

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,116 Posts
^^ cruisers, specially the air cooled type are a very different animal.. i own a Raider S XV1900,

you should see the beautiful machining work on the engine, iits clearly made to dissipate heat
10 times better than an R1 engine, nevermind the fact an R1 is covered in plastic :D

for what its worth, Yamaha's have (always) ran hot, my old man had a Virago in the early 80s overheat on him. I dont think it was a big deal but he's a mechanic and did his little research back in the day as well.. Again, its not a deal breaker for me, and havent had major issues myself. The topic does come up often over the years, i'd say there's a bit of a trend.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, now its got new shoes, oil, new battery. When I rode it home from the dealer, it seemed hotter than normal, constantly houvering in 200+ area. Thats way too hot for a 60 degree day. I'm wondering if the thermostat might be sticking shut.

Made a mistake and went from synthetic to semi syn. Going to drain and refill w/synthetic. It seemed to like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
well, now its got new shoes, oil, new battery. When I rode it home from the dealer, it seemed hotter than normal, constantly houvering in 200+ area. Thats way too hot for a 60 degree day. I'm wondering if the thermostat might be sticking shut.

Made a mistake and went from synthetic to semi syn. Going to drain and refill w/synthetic. It seemed to like that.
yeah that is pretty hot for 60F. i think mines runs at around 180-190 in 60F weather.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts