Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am new here and have been searching all over for an answer and can't find a similar situation
So I bought a 2008 r1 from a friend of mine he bought it new and parked it it has 7k miles I've replaced the fuel pump battery and the spark plugs cleaned the injectors and tank I checked the coils with my multi meter they're giving off the resistance the service manual says is good when I pull the fuel rail it's spraying fuel all the plugs are giving spark and it won't start on fuel if I put starter fluid in it it will start for a long as the starter fluid lasts I ran the diagnostic and the only thing that is on d61 are 19 and 60
If anyone has any ideas or needs any more info please let me know thank you

·
Registered
292 Posts
Try clearing all errors in diag mode 62 by turning the kill switch and off.

For error 60, someone has connected the battery terminals in reverse at some point. Check your etv fuse and replace it if blown. If error 60 can't be cl3learwd after that, you've got a bad throttle body. Replace.

For error 19, your ignition (where you put in your key) has some poor contact underneath, which isn't surpsising as the bike has been sitting for 10 years. You either take the ignition apart and clean it, or if your bike is American, buy another one and replace.

(A friend of mine had the same problem as he was gettin his bike up after a year down. Nutjob took his battert out and poured fuel.. FUEL! down his ignition barrel and cycled it on and off till he was confident it had dried up. Put his battery on and the 19 is gone. Still waiting for him to call to tell me his bike is on fire).

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is the evt fuse I checked all the fuses I could find I replaced all the fuses on the left hand side under the headlight and the 50a main fuse is good

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I cleared all the codes 3 days ago and the 60 came back in the memory yesterday

·
Registered
292 Posts
If the error 60 is coming after being cleared, it points to a damaged throttle. If it was the fuse, youd never be able to clear it.

A few checks I'd recommend:

If you spray starter fluid, and it starts, open the throttle and see if your butterflies respond.

On opening the ignition, check if your butterflies move a bit.

In the diagnostic modes for throttle values, open and close your throttle and see if your butterflies move, and check if the values are between 14 (fully closed) and 106(fully open).

If your bfly valves aren't responding, the whole unit needs to be replaced.

Another thing just crossed my mind. 10yrs and the valves might just be stuck, so it may just need penetrating oil and cleaning vs replacing. All tests above are still valid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the intake off when I turn the key to on and turn the throttle the butterfly turns a little bit but in diagnostic it's operating perfectly I assumed this was to come the motor for starting
I'll try some penetrating fluid when I get home
Also if I hold the butterfly open and crank the motor I can see the valves moving

·
Registered
363 Posts
If it’s running on starting fluid , then it’s not getting gas. You say the fuel rails are pressurized, but are the injectors spraying or clogged up?

·
Registered
314 Posts
pull the throttle bodies with everything still connected and try to start the bike - lift the TBs off while cranking the engine and see what the injectors spray looks like. Easiest way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried penetrating oil to loosen up the valves it seemed to help some now it will idle for a little under a minute

The injectors are spraying pretty good but I ordered a fuel rail and injectors just to be sure

·
Registered
292 Posts
Do you still have the error 60? I'd have ordered the complete throttle body and not just the fuel rail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I installed the fuel rail and injectors it idled rough with white smoke coming out for a few minutes so I changed the oil assuming the smoke was from the penetrating oil in the intake mixing with the oil I had to go to work before I could continue working on it I'll let you guys know if it will run it I'll post a video with what it's doing now

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sometimes when I am riding it won't Rev over 5k but if I shut the bike of and turn it again is OK

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol well sorry for the delay I replaced the fuel pump and spayed out the injectors again and got it running and 2 days later my buddy crashed it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Has anyone ridden a Honda cb1000r in thinking about getting one abs I want to know if it will have close to the same take off power

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
5 Participants
Lindenbaum
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing