Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· 0-Jailtime in 2.9 seconds
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone,

Now I know this has been posted countless times, but I am getting a bit nervous about the ticking as I can now hear it with my ear plugs in.
It seems to have gotten louder since my recent 30k (km) service (oil and plug change)

The oil I'm using:
https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/oils-lubricants/5100-4t-10w40

The sound of my bike at idle:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s16raZnet37K

This is recorded on the RHS of the bike. I do switch to the LHS after a few seconds.

I understand it's hard to diagnose sounds, but if someone would like to give me some advice on this, I would appreciate it!

249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re-igniting an old thread here..

The tick is now completely gone! I've had to replace the springs on the header pipes, and it's been quiet ever since.
After removal, I could clearly see the headers were blowing from the manifold as the aluminium flanges were black on cylinder 2 & 3.

Now, power on low revs are even better than when I purchased the bike 2 years ago! Must have a lost quite a bit of back-pressure as a result of the springs losing tension over time.
I purchased generic ones to replace them as the Akrapovic ones were not locally available, and replaced the gaskets while i was at it.

249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sadly not, that hosting site must have lost it and I never kept a copy.

If you have the tick, replace those springs. It's a cheap fix as the springs will cost you about $10, but loads of effort (if you do it yourself).

I looked at Akrapovic springs, but the cost of them vs how long mine actually lasted, did not make much sense. These springs have a limited lifespan due to the amount of heat cycles they go through, so a generic brand will likely not have a dramatically longer life span.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.