Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Rather be Ridin'
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had or heard of 04-06 or 07-08 R1's with valve trouble? My 06 with 24,000 miles dropped a valve and just about destroyed the motor. (Thank goodness for extended warrenty) Since then I have heard of at least 4 other cases of R1's dropping valves. Some were caught before failure, but some resulted in complete failure, like mine. Mine resulted in a $8600 repair. (again, thankfull for warrenty) Just curious if anyone else has had or heard of similiar problems. I have never questioned Yamahas reliability or worried about problems with my bike until now. Just hopeing to avoid problems going forward. Thanks.

·
I am my battery's tender.
2,217 Posts
This happened to mine at 35k miles while on the freeway in 6th gear going the speed limit. I spent about $600 to rebuild the motor with all new bearings and seals and now it runs like a champ!

·
when in doubt throttle out
223 Posts
i know for the 07 there was a bulletin type deal, not a recall. In the #4 cylinder, the valves were rubbing and wearing them down cause them not to fire correctly. There was a thread somewhere on here about it. That may be what your talking about.

EDIT: I had to get mine repaired with 4,200 miles on it

·
Booya
34,507 Posts
High strung motors....even at lower speeds this does happen often enough.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
yup my bike had valve problems it was number 1 intake but i swapped heads out before it got bad i had about 26k on the clock when i did the valve check and found my loose valve it has to do with the guides being machined wrong but at least you had warranty

·
Rather be Ridin'
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guess it depends on the amount of damage, but whatever the case, its not a cheap fix.

·
Street Runnerz M/C Natl. Prez
1,251 Posts
$8,600:scared yikes!

you could just find a new motor for less then $2,000...
but with a warranty its free:thumbup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Funny, my friend (ablaz3d) dropped a valve last month @ 7K miles (cyl. 1 intake). We completely rebuilt the engine but used another guy's parted out cylinder head with 7K miles on it, and sure enough, 800 miles later, it has just managed to bend a cylinder 2 exhaust valve. I HATE Yamaha valves.

·
Rx for 2nd mid-life crisis
551 Posts
Is that just the 5 valve heads? The 09+ have 4.

·
Wheelie Makin' MoFo
659 Posts
07+ has 4 valve heads

·
551 Posts
Thanks for the info... I didn't know that.

Do you know is it just the 5 valve heads with the bad rep?

·
551 Posts
I think I'll buy that extended warranty...

·
Registered
8 Posts
These valves have cost me two rebuilds in the past month and we are about to be on our 3rd cylinder head of the month. I can't take much more.. I can't speak for others with 4 valves but the 05 with 5 per cylinder is riddled with problems if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
33 Participants
andypugh
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing