Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mike
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv got my highway wheelies down pretty good lately, can ride em out for a mile or two on a good day.

I could problably go further, but problem is, I can't steer it for the life of me.

Even if I weight different pegs, nothing.

I transfer my weight from peg to peg enough that it feels like I could do a can can, or nac nac if I wanted. The thing is wobbling and duck walking underneath me.

I can turn the clip ons, but still nothing, the bike goes whereever it wants, I have seemingly no control over where it goes.

Im a tall guy, 6 foot i guess, so when Im doin the stand up, Im squated down just a bit so im peering right directly over the nose. My chin is basicallly sitting on the tip of the windscreen.

My form would be exactly like adamgeek in his DVD trailer, when the car is filming from the side.

How do I steer the damn thing?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
skinnyR! said:
Iv got my highway wheelies down pretty good lately, can ride em out for a mile or two on a good day.

I could problably go further, but problem is, I can't steer it for the life of me.

Even if I weight different pegs, nothing.

I transfer my weight from peg to peg enough that it feels like I could do a can can, or nac nac if I wanted. The thing is wobbling and duck walking underneath me.

I can turn the clip ons, but still nothing, the bike goes whereever it wants, I have seemingly no control over where it goes.

Im a tall guy, 6 foot i guess, so when Im doin the stand up, Im squated down just a bit so im peering right directly over the nose. My chin is basicallly sitting on the tip of the windscreen.

My form would be exactly like adamgeek in his DVD trailer, when the car is filming from the side.

How do I steer the damn thing?

Thanks
I got the same problem with steering, some times i can manage to steer and other times it wont go anywere. :eek:

·
Registered
351 Posts
adams a tank humper, i hang off tha back hehe, basically push pressure and lean body on the direction you wanna go

·
Super Moderator
8,670 Posts
I put on my directional and change lanes on the highway. Pretty much what prizefighter and CR500 said works pretty well.

As far as the wobble. I'm finding the type of tire to make a difference there. Play around with tire pressure also.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
prize and i used to have trouble with steering back in the day. i'd lift one foot, so all the weight was on the one side of the bike, and it still wouldn't steer.

the thing i wasn't realizing is.. that you can be standing on only one foot.. so seemingly putting all the weight on the side of the bike, but really your center of gravity is still OVER the middle of the bike.

now, if you actually LEAN all the way off the side of the bike, and have all your weight on that peg, it will turn. it's hard to get used to it at first, but you will get it over time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
MY $O.02
When I was trying to learn changing lanes while wheeling I just stick my ass where I want the bike to go. I might have missed the whole point of the thread however so if this is pointless just ignore it.

·
Mike
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This all helps....I can kinda steer by moving my entire body.

The wobble still scares me tho, I lowered the pressure to 30, but still feel the need to put the front down cuz it starts to wobble so bad sometimes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hanging your ass off to steer works sitting(get your ass off the seat completely- if only an inch) or standing. wobbles happen at high rpm- shift damn it!!! or set your shift light to 8k-or-9k rpm so you get a warning before it decides to dance with you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts