Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok peeps, so far I've clocked a little over 800miles on the new 04/R1, and I wanted to share with you my thoughts so far.

tomorrow I will have 1000miles on the bike, and it will be time for me to twist it's little neck:yesnod..
After that I will post a Part 2 to this thread and talk about the power delivery. MMI is set to do the Dyno runs, after I get the break in over....

So anyway:
***PRO's***
-Brakes:
OMG, was the first thought that ran through my head when I grabbed a fistful. The transition from brakes to gas (while going into a turn) is seamless. You can truly feel the quality in the Brembo master.

-Transmission:
Finally, after 5 years, Yamaha has built a tranny that feels -smooth. The Clunk-&-Grind is gone, hahaha. The tranny shifts like butter. Hopefully this will continue under hard power later this week.

-Looks:
Com'on, you've all seen it. Nothing but Sexxxxxy;)

-Sound:
If it wasn't for the Full Graves system setting in my garage I would consider keepin g the stock pipes. They sound that good. The motor has a cool turbo sound while flexing the throttle.

-Tires:
I am not a DumbFlop(dunlop) fan, but I have to admit, these 218's are not that bad. So far they have stuck like glue and offered loads of feel on corner entry.

-Handling:
neutral. The new R1 is so comfortable in the turns it gives you a sense of confidence. I have found my self in a good lean, just while turning at a red-light, hahahaha.. If you've ever ridden a new gsxr then you know the feeling I'm talking about...
There is more to brag about in the handling then ever before for this new rocket.

-Power:
SO far I have not had the opportunity to twist it up past 7000rpm's, But the low end torque has pulled me up to speeds with ease. I got the chance to ride my old 02 and new 04 back to back yesterday, and I have to admit it "the 02 seems to have the grunt, but I will go back over this once I can give the 04 a little more gas.

***Con's***
-instrument panel:
The lap timer is a joke. I can't believe they would even bother taking up program room to include it in the description. The start and stop buttons are on the display WTF??? This is almost impossible to press with gloves on at a stand still, much less at race speed as you cross the line... I have to say the Kawi has it beat here with it's thumb button.

-Oil Filler cap
WTF, again.... It looks great but now you have to worry about scratching it every time you change the oil.:eek:

-Front brake res.:
The soft bracket makes this thing shake around the whole time your rolling down the road.

-Plastics and fit:
Seemed to have an issue every time we removed the lowers for the oil change. The pipe guard piece has a problem letting go. As far as the Seat; not sure who the hell they had line this one up:mad:

***Over All***
Yamaha did a great job, putting this beauty together.
Next we switch everything to race gear and twist the throttle wide open.
MMI will be doing all of our Dyno's and tweaking the mapping if needed. We will video the Dyno so there won't be any doubts.

I will have it on the Daytona Speedway this Thursday to see what that baby will do:thumbup
But right now I'm sleepy and I'm outta here...

·
Beating a dead horse.
4,015 Posts
good review, and it sounds like the bike is a real beauty. I'm still waiting to see on on the show room floor...so i have a feeling i am going to be waiting awhile ;)

·
R1 2FEAR
612 Posts
hey ya got me beat on milage i am at about 500.just wanted to add to a great report.That faring has a trick to it just like the way you have to slide the front ones.also the oil filler cap is that way so you wont hit your knee on it ....its really high,you will find in the "tool" kit a wrench with a rubber coating on half of it just for taking that cap loose.and i have twisted on mine a little here and there and boy do you got a surprise coming,remember the book says "avoid prolonged operation above 7000" not dont get anyware near there.But we all break em in diffrently really glad to here you voice some of my exact thoughts on this especially the handling,this bike is an absolute blast!!!:thumbup

·
Team Hissho
62 Posts
R1Fast,

Excellent review. I can't wait to see the dyno vids. Your Graves full titanium system, how much does it weigh total and how much did you get it for? We'll be receiving our first shipment of '04's here this Thursday. The local dealer by the airport (South Seas Honda/Yamaha/BMW) will have one of each color on the showroom floor for everyone to see. I was also told that the first 9 bikes are already SOLD :cryin I gotta sell my bike soon......

·
OG Moderator
996 Posts
R1Fast - nice review

·
Super Moderator
21,686 Posts
Nice review, so the stock exhaust sounds that good?

·
...Is just so addicted to R1..
902 Posts
what was the temp??

NIce job- I just wrote my impressions - rode yesterday. Curious: what was the air temp? Mid 40s where we were- I was impressed by the dunShlops, still don't like em- but man, I wish the 208s my 02 came with were more like these... It was still far too cold to tell- whwat was temp where you were?

thanks
-scud

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
Thanks for the review buddy. How did the front brake lever feel? I heard it was a lot thicker than the previous year R1s. And what about the front seat?................db

·
When in dought Whip it out
453 Posts
:hellobye
Thanks for the review
Looking forward to part deux

KV

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
Thanks for the info...
Just so you know.4 heat cycles is all ya need for break in.4 heat cycles then change the oil.I know of some racers with less than 50 miles on there new bikes ringing at the track.......

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: what was the temp??

scud said:
whwat was temp where you were?

thanks
-scud
I froze my ass off Thursday night it was in the 40's but the air temp gauge on the display was only ready low 50's:dunno
Might have been a little warmer than reported...

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
thanks for the review man, i really enjoyed reading that. you make me wanna trade my 02 for the 04!

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
r1-superstar said:
Thanks for the review buddy. How did the front brake lever feel? I heard it was a lot thicker than the previous year R1s. And what about the front seat?................db
Brake lever,
Not sure about the lever being thicker,,,, I only pull it form one side:D

Front seat,
It's harder than before but fits nice. Took a little for the heart shape to grow on me. Hanging off the bike is more comfortable than previous models... My ass is not sensitive enough to feel any heat from the pipes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts