Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Use the same fuse amps that you are replacing.

Local autozone,O rileys, chief auto , pep boys, checkard auto sells em

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
ok so i got a 7.5 fuse then plugged ecu in. the fans kick on for a second then shut off. dash still has error code and flashing temp. the ecu is the same exact part number as my old one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Is all of the stuff still unplugged under the tank (airbox, TB's, etc)??
just plugged it in same thing. i think the throttle bodies are shot because the motor isnt turning on. butterflys arent moving all i hear is the motor for the airbox. already have new throttle bodies coming wednesday as well as a air temp sensor for the front nose but still flashing temp and err on the dash

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Is all of the stuff still unplugged under the tank (airbox, TB's, etc)??
so basically were working with a 2017 r1 ecu same part number as the original ecu. 2017 r1m harness same part number as old ecu and a 2017 r1 dash that we cant get over to M mode because of the err and temp flashing. all fuses are ok its got a brand new battery that sits on a trickle 24/7 imu is working on the dash just nothing else. everything is plugged in minus the air temp sensor. and obviously headlights tail lights and communications control unit as its going to be a track bike and im not going to be using all of it. the suspension control unit is plugged it to its harness forks and wheels speed sensors are in as well. not to sure what to do other than wait on the air temp sensor and throttle bodies.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That air temp sensor could definitely be throwing a code since it’s unplugged. Signal too low code. I’d have to dig back into FTECU code manager to see what feedback the ECU gets from that sensor..

I’m thinking you’re gonna need to get some diagnostic tools to figure it out from here. Otherwise you are going to spend a ton of money changing parts and not know. Depending on the errors, they may not even clear without some help from diag tools. If you planned on flashing the bike, FTECU works as a diagnostic tool also. If not, maybe it’s a trip to the dealer... or maybe there is a way to connect via the yamaha diagnostic port that I am unaware of.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That air temp sensor could definitely be throwing a code since it’s unplugged. Signal too low code. I’d have to dig back into FTECU code manager to see what feedback the ECU gets from that sensor..

I’m thinking you’re gonna need to get some diagnostic tools to figure it out from here. Otherwise you are going to spend a ton of money changing parts and not know. Depending on the errors, they may not even clear without some help from diag tools. If you planned on flashing the bike, FTECU works as a diagnostic tool also. If not, maybe it’s a trip to the dealer... or maybe there is a way to connect via the yamaha diagnostic port that I am unaware of.
thats probably going to be the plan. gonna see if theres an obd reader. where is the diagnostics port located?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pretty sure tucked up under tail somewhere. Think it’s a 4 pin, square plug. FTECU uses its own cable, so not real familiar with that path unfortunately.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Pretty sure tucked up under tail somewhere. Think it’s a 4 pin, square plug. FTECU uses its own cable, so not real familiar with that path unfortunately.
just ordered the adapter so i can run it through my nice handy obd2 diagnostics tool. that way i can scan myself. as i go along ill keep bringing you updates. trying my hardest to get it ready before track season. and ive got a ton of parts to finish it on hold.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
update new throttles are in. butterflys are working!! one thing checked off the list. still dealing with the stupid dash. gonna have to wait on that obd reader and the temp sensor and hopefully i can clear codes and make it work!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
update new throttles are in. butterflys are working!! one thing checked off the list. still dealing with the stupid dash. gonna have to wait on that obd reader and the temp sensor and hopefully i can clear codes and make it work!
ok i got the bike started!!!!!!!! first time hearing her. amazing extremely excited right now sounds super healthy. the temp ended up being frayed wires in the harness. i cut and sodered and rewrapped the harness to fix the issue. dash still shows error, also i had to jump the starter through the relay. would that mean the relay is bad? ive got the motor to crank before all these issues but wouldnt start. now it wont start unless i jump it. fuses on relay are not popped. and suggestions? once started it stays on. rectifier and stator seem to be ok.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
starter relay fixed. had to clean connections. now my only issue is the error on the dash. what should be my next step?

·
Registered
27 Posts
You're likely still going to need your diagnostic tools. It may be stored errors from when the misc. stuff was disconnected. I don't know if there is some back door way to clear CEL on these bikes unfortunately. Once you get diagnostics hooked up, it should be pretty straight forward to see what is wrong.

Is the bike stock? First things that come to mind would be the last ECU was flashed and had stuff like AIS, O2 sensors, EXUP valve disabled if those things are removed, and now your new ECU is standard. Hard to say without a bunch more details and getting hooked into the ECU.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You're likely still going to need your diagnostic tools. It may be stored errors from when the misc. stuff was disconnected. I don't know if there is some back door way to clear CEL on these bikes unfortunately. Once you get diagnostics hooked up, it should be pretty straight forward to see what is wrong.

Is the bike stock? First things that come to mind would be the last ECU was flashed and had stuff like AIS, O2 sensors, EXUP valve disabled if those things are removed, and now your new ECU is standard. Hard to say without a bunch more details and getting hooked into the ECU.
got ya, gonna just wait on the scan tool. this current ecu is flashed for graves full system and block off plates (ill be doing a reflash and 3/4 system anyways.) ive got a ftecu abs delete coming in to remove that dash light. all that will be left is whats stored in the CEL i already have a exup delete relay installed. just waiting on a abs delete air temp sensor and the diagnostics tool at this point. could just need to clear and install the last 2 things for it to clear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
having a bit of an issue boys. so my adapter came in. tried reading codes with 2 different scanners and it keep giving me an error. wont let me connect to read codes. key is in on position ecu is working, (started the bike the other day) temp is flashing “HI” sometimes because the thermo temp sensor is bad. tested it as manual stated and was not meeting requirments. new one comes in next week. could that also be an issue as to why i cant connect and read codes?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not sure if there is a non-factory scanner that works with these bikes. Hopefully someone with some knowledge on that subject can comment back. I wouldn't think the temp sensor being bad would stop a connection though... those are exactly the things the scanner should be used to diagnose.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts