Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts
8,268 Posts
How'd u go?

I've just had a new rear Spring put in and a few manual base line setups programmed. Leaving the front for now, as we think it will be suitable.Testing it out at the track tomorrow

Sorry I'll get to it soon. Been trying to help a friend buy a new track bike and he can't make up his mind.

And why does nobody know exactly what the ERS is adjusting by how much...Ughhh

You would think the more technical data available, the more likely your bike will sell.

Test rode these 2 bad boys today...

ImageUploadedByMO Free1459395625.796482.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1459395634.264619.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
90 Posts
So through a series of unfortunate events (mostly my fault) I had my ERS reset and I don't know the settings I was at. I realized all this today with a track day coming up this weekend. Just wondering how these settings worked out for you as a starting point? They FEEL similar to what I had before but I just can't remember.

I'm going to try and push on it a bit tomorrow and tweak it before I head out but thought I would ask.

Thanks!

Took my bike to KFG racing and had them do a baseline set up. The shop next to them is building a M race bike so once they get all the geometry on that figured out I'll go back in and get that done. Here's what I got set up
For a starting point. Can't wait to get to the track with this think.

I'm 185-190lbs. Street/ track day baseline.

·
Back to the Yamaha community.
767 Posts
Anyone have any updates on suspension for the M's? I put 11.0 front springs in before my last track day at Pitt Race and ran a 95 rear spring. Didn't get much time since I crashed second session when my new rear Dunlop decided to cold tear horribly after 6 laps. The bike felt like it was running wide on corner exits so I'm going to try to swap one spring in the front and run one 10.5 and one 11.0 and see how that goes.

I have my forks almost flush with the top triple trying to get some weight off the front since when I was running stock springs and stock fork height the bike was nervous and I didn't have good front end feel. Under heavy braking the fork dive was a bit too much and hit bottom a few times. Rear shock height I have at 315mm which is stock with the Ohlins race kit installed. The back seems fine but the front I'm struggling with it seems.

Anyhow...anyone else try anything that seems to be working for you?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Anyone have any updates on suspension for the M's? I put 11.0 front springs in before my last track day at Pitt Race and ran a 95 rear spring. Didn't get much time since I crashed second session when my new rear Dunlop decided to cold tear horribly after 6 laps. The bike felt like it was running wide on corner exits so I'm going to try to swap one spring in the front and run one 10.5 and one 11.0 and see how that goes.

I have my forks almost flush with the top triple trying to get some weight off the front since when I was running stock springs and stock fork height the bike was nervous and I didn't have good front end feel. Under heavy braking the fork dive was a bit too much and hit bottom a few times. Rear shock height I have at 315mm which is stock with the Ohlins race kit installed. The back seems fine but the front I'm struggling with it seems.

Anyhow...anyone else try anything that seems to be working for you?
How much do you weigh? I am about 190lbs without leathers. I just switched to a 105 N/mm shock spring and have been running 10.5 N/mm springs in both forks. I started off on a 95 N/mm shock spring and just couldn't confidently get on the throttle for exits. I began dialing in shock preload until it was maxxed and it kept getting better. So I swapped in a 100 N/mm shock spring and it was the best thing for handling that I've done to my bike. I could get on the throttle so much harder and sooner without the bike pushing or spinning up the tire. Since then I feel I have improved as a rider and I am running grippier tires so I've found the need for even more support at the rear which is why I am now running a 105 N/mm shock spring. I have also always had the shock at 317mm in length.

Also, at the front I am running 10mm of preload with the forks flush. Under my hardest braking I am typically just a couple mm off bottom out. Though every lap I do end up bottoming somewhere. In other words, you're running a lot of fork spring. Please also note that changing fork height has a very minimal effect on weight distribution, but it does have a noticeable effect on rake and trail.

·
767 Posts
I weight the same; between 185 and 190 on any given week. Have you checked your staitc and full sag on your suspension? I was running 35mm front sag with 11.0 springs and 4 turns in on the preload and 25mm rear sag on the shock with a 95 spring. I have the hydralic Ohlins adjuster added and I had 10 full turns in on the preload. It gave me the total sag numbers I wanted but it just felt nervous at speed. Running Dunlop Ntec slicks and the front never felt planted but then rear let loose and tried to put me over the bars. I fell over in the grass so it wasn't a big deal and the bike survived better than I did.

I softened up the front some with one softer spring and will do the same for the rear and try to run 40mm front sag and 30 for the rear which is the upper boundary of where you want to be but I think the bike is too stiff since it doesn't absorb the bumps without upsetting the chasis. I'll play with the clickers once I can get a feel for how the bike turns and hold it's line at my next track day.

Right now I have little confidence in the bike which is odd since I raced professionally for 7 years and never had this much difficulty. Maybe I'm expecting too much I dunno.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I weight the same; between 185 and 190 on any given week. Have you checked your staitc and full sag on your suspension? I was running 35mm front sag with 11.0 springs and 4 turns in on the preload and 25mm rear sag on the shock with a 95 spring. I have the hydralic Ohlins adjuster added and I had 10 full turns in on the preload. It gave me the total sag numbers I wanted but it just felt nervous at speed. Running Dunlop Ntec slicks and the front never felt planted but then rear let loose and tried to put me over the bars. I fell over in the grass so it wasn't a big deal and the bike survived better than I did.

I softened up the front some with one softer spring and will do the same for the rear and try to run 40mm front sag and 30 for the rear which is the upper boundary of where you want to be but I think the bike is too stiff since it doesn't absorb the bumps without upsetting the chasis. I'll play with the clickers once I can get a feel for how the bike turns and hold it's line at my next track day.

Right now I have little confidence in the bike which is odd since I raced professionally for 7 years and never had this much difficulty. Maybe I'm expecting too much I dunno.
I don't measure sag. How much total preload do you have in the fork and shock?

·
767 Posts
I was running 4 turns in on the front fork with 11.0 springs and 10 turns in on the rear 95 shock. My rear shock has the hydralic spring collar and not the standard notch rings so turn for turn I don't think they are similar. 10 turns on the adjuster on the hydralic may equate to 3 or 4 full turns of the collar but I'm not sure. I do know my total rear sag with rider was 25mm and the front was 35mm. A bit on the stiff side.......

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I was running 4 turns in on the front fork with 11.0 springs and 10 turns in on the rear 95 shock. My rear shock has the hydralic spring collar and not the standard notch rings so turn for turn I don't think they are similar. 10 turns on the adjuster on the hydralic may equate to 3 or 4 full turns of the collar but I'm not sure. I do know my total rear sag with rider was 25mm and the front was 35mm. A bit on the stiff side.......
Any chance you can get the total preload measurements? Your shock and forks likely have installed preload. So even with the adjusters backed all of the way out there is still preload on the spring. Keep in mind that preload really only affects suspension stiffness/compliance while the suspension is topped out. Once the spring has started to compress beyond the topped out position the stiffness is purely defined by the spring rate.

·
767 Posts
I'd have to remove the shock to measure the spring length loaded and unloaded with any accuracy. The front springs would be somewhat difficult to measure without doing math on the forkcap thread pitch. I just reset my front and rear total or overall sag to 40mm front and 30mm rear and will see how that works in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
https://youtu.be/kAbigNA3MX8

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk
So he added preload and damping because to compensate for a heavy rider. Was there any other option aside from a spring change or oil height adjustment? I have always enjoyed Dave Moss' videos but when people act like he's some kind of god... Then again, go to the track and find some guys, they don't even have to be within 5 seconds of the lap record, hell even 10 seconds. They'll recommend you to their guy saying he's the best. Unfortunately, this sport is filled with salesmen, not engineers.

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
1,935 Posts
Some options have been, remove the Ohlins ERS and put on a conventional suspension.

Another option that I did was install the Ohlins ERS Race kit. It gives the front forks 10mm more travel. The rear suspension can be adjusted with new adjustable eye bolt from the kit.

I swapped out the 9.5 to a 10nm rear spring. Felt a lot better for my weight. 205 geared up.

http://www.superbikeunlimited.com/1167-ohlins-2015-16-yzf-r1m-race-suspension-kit.html?search=Ohlins race kit&category_id=0

When the rider in the flick gets faster, he will need to swap both front n rear springs to handle his weight.

So he added preload and damping because to compensate for a heavy rider. Was there any other option aside from a spring change or oil height adjustment? I have always enjoyed Dave Moss' videos but when people act like he's some kind of god... Then again, go to the track and find some guys, they don't even have to be within 5 seconds of the lap record, hell even 10 seconds. They'll recommend you to their guy saying he's the best. Unfortunately, this sport is filled with salesmen, not engineers.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Some options have been, remove the Ohlins ERS and put on a conventional suspension.

Another option that I did was install the Ohlins ERS Race kit. It gives the front forks 10mm more travel. The rear suspension can be adjusted with new adjustable eye bolt from the kit.

I swapped out the 9.5 to a 10nm rear spring. Felt a lot better for my weight. 205 geared up.

Ohlins 2015-16 YZF-R1M Race Suspension Kit

When the rider in the flick gets faster, he will need to swap both front n rear springs to handle his weight.

I think you mean you went from a 95,000 N/m to a 100,000 N/m or a 95 N/mm to a 100 N/mm shock spring. Why can't anyone get those units right? Even suspension guys I've talked with. And yeah, your geared up weight is about the same as mine and a 100 N/mm spring is a must, atleast. I am on a 105 N/mm spring now. If only the R1 had an adjustable swingarm pivot we could make a softer spring work.

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
1,935 Posts
Im used to the imperial system which i barely understand.

Well, you can get the swingarm pivot kit from attack performance. Just gotta strip the bike to the frame and give it a little shave for the kit to work

I think you mean you went from a 95,000 N/m to a 100,000 N/m or a 95 N/mm to a 100 N/mm shock spring. Why can't anyone get those units right? Even suspension guys I've talked with. And yeah, your geared up weight is about the same as mine and a 100 N/mm spring is a must, atleast. I am on a 105 N/mm spring now. If only the R1 had an adjustable swingarm pivot we could make a softer spring work.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Im used to the imperial system which i barely understand.

Well, you can get the swingarm pivot kit from attack performance. Just gotta strip the bike to the frame and give it a little shave for the kit to work

Well stop it, the world really needs to get use to the SI system haha.

I did not realize attack made a kit. Definitely looking into it.

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
1,935 Posts
I need to correct an earlier post. The R1M stock rear spring is a 90n/mm ...did i do right?? Lol.
Well stop it, the world really needs to get use to the SI system haha.

I did not realize attack made a kit. Definitely looking into it.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts