Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Collector
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone confirm if the R1M will come with the optional track only ecu as stated by bikeme.tv? Thank you.

Quote:
"Oh, and it can all be switched off with a bolt-in ECU that comes as an aftermarket extra on the R1, but is included with the R1M."

"The R1 was indeed special. How much more special its special brother, the up-spec R1M is, was yet to be seen, but since it was equipped with Öhlins race suspension and a batshit crazy racing ECU, I could only imagine."

· Registered
344 Posts
As I've read it, the Circuit ECU is an optional part....but I don't think it's as advanced as the KIT ECU, where you can adjust fuel etc.

Btw....the FlashTune unit is ready to ship later this week....this is great news.

· kickin' at the darkness
10,318 Posts
i saw the posts where someone thought that was the case but to be honest, after reading the other articles around its pretty obvious BOTH models had this Circuit ECu, if that is a piggy back system then its 1st we're hearing of this. It may just be a bit of an editing error where the writer says its stock on the R1M, as he may have been thinking about the CCU at the time, which is the Communication WIFI gizmo... alas its something we will require further clarification on ... as i'm sure there's a few HAPPY R1M owners about to find out they have a FREE toy to play with extra :D

so does this mean there is still a KIT ECU available as well? damn :dunno

okay maybe there is something to this, would this be the quick fix for EPA BS we've been dealing with?

from Cycleworld's article http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/02/21/2015-yamaha-yzf-r1-and-yzf-r1m-superbike-motorcycle-review-first-ride-photos/

optional Circuit ECU accessory that deactivates UBS and applies a very aggressive track ABS setting, which I found impossible to invoke on track. That same Circuit ECU also eliminates the top-speed limiter and gives the slightly detuned-for-sound-emissions US models their mojo back

AND from CycleOnline http://www.cycleonline.com.au/2015/02/23/tested-2015-yamaha-yzf-r1/

however since at the launch we were using an optional Circuit ECU that disengages it, we’re yet to see how it feels and performs. The Circuit ECU also deactivates the rear ABS and includes a track-spec front ABS. Interestingly, it actually removes the top speed limiter of 300km/h and disables the headlights.

ABS hasn’t always been welcomed on track, but in using the Circuit ECU with the track-spec front system, this would be the best and most natural package I have used since it started to become more common. It’d be interesting to see how the standard system works though if you don’t opt for the Circuit ECU.

now beginning to wrap my mind around it, i guess it is possible that there will also be a YEC RACE ECU available within their catalog :dunno

· Registered
344 Posts
As I understand it, Yamaha will provide:
- standard ECU
- Circuit ECU (trackdays, mapped for open exhaust, other circuit optimized settings)
- YEC race ECU (adjustable as usual)

....and again - FlashTune unit will be ready end of this week.

· Registered
186 Posts
No official info on the Circuit ECU mentioned in the articles. I sifted through all of the available 2015 R1 part numbers last night in hopes of finding it as well as pricing/release date, but only found the few accessories announced yesterday (windshields, Yosh slip-on, seat cowl, frame sliders, and rear stand hooks) as well as 500+ hard part numbers.

I'll keep digging.

· SEMPER FI 0331
422 Posts
Is the race ecu really that big of a deal? Won't we be able to get the standard one dyno tuned to get rid of all the restrictions? Or do people want it more for the different abs settings?

· Collector
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No official info on the Circuit ECU mentioned in the articles. I sifted through all of the available 2015 R1 part numbers last night in hopes of finding it as well as pricing/release date, but only found the few accessories announced yesterday (windshields, Yosh slip-on, seat cowl, frame sliders, and rear stand hooks) as well as 500+ hard part numbers.

I'll keep digging.
Thank you, really appreciate having a dealer around supporting this forum's questions. I will always keep miller's yamaha in mind for purchases or referrals.

· kickin' at the darkness
10,318 Posts
Is the race ecu really that big of a deal? Won't we be able to get the standard one dyno tuned to get rid of all the restrictions? Or do people want it more for the different abs settings?
a proper KIT ECU will allow for the rider to have options as to how the bike is tuned, its much more than just a flash, i mean in comparison to what most are used to, it allows for tweaking of things at the ecu level, much more than a piggy back system ever could, and since we're talking uber cool electronics on these bikes i'm sure there's a whole new world of control right around the corner..

but yes for your avg joe, a simple 'common' flash and fuel controller will do just fine... personally i'd just want the quickest way to get rid of emmision and noise BS programming,
give me the bike i paid for, i dont want to complicate things on this bike, straight up flash with optimized YEC settings will do for me :dunno

· Registered
186 Posts
Received some info today. Yamaha will offer 2 options:

1. A full race ECU with wiring harness. This should enable full access and tuneability.

2. A "circuit" ECU which will offer the benefits as described in the first-ride articles. This will be more suitable for track-day riders. It will most likely offer an enhanced "canned" tune, revised ABS/UBS settings, deactivated lights, and removed top speed limiter.

Pricing and availability on both is still unavailable, but I would estimate availability in late Q2.

· Build Quality Police
923 Posts
For those of you busting to get rid of the electronic suspension found in the R1M, there will also be one aftermarket (suspension specific) ECU available from Ohlins. Ohlins part number will be 35000-04 and this ECU - or the full race ECU from Yamaha - will be mandatory if you are planning to unplug the electronic suspension. Otherwise the bike will lock up in a fail safe mode with very poor performance.

· I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,912 Posts
For those of you busting to get rid of the electronic suspension found in the R1M, there will also be one aftermarket (suspension specific) ECU available from Ohlins. Ohlins part number will be 35000-04 and this ECU - or the full race ECU from Yamaha - will be mandatory if you are planning to unplug the electronic suspension. Otherwise the bike will lock up in a fail safe mode with very poor performance.

Not really seeing the benefit to buying an M in this case. :dunno

· Build Quality Police
923 Posts
Not really seeing the benefit to buying an M in this case. :dunno
Still, a number of racers will use them in classes where you are not allowed to use electronic suspension or simply don't want to use electronic suspension.

· Banned
672 Posts
Received some info today. Yamaha will offer 2 options:

1. A full race ECU with wiring harness. This should enable full access and tuneability.

2. A "circuit" ECU which will offer the benefits as described in the first-ride articles. This will be more suitable for track-day riders. It will most likely offer an enhanced "canned" tune, revised ABS/UBS settings, deactivated lights, and removed top speed limiter.

Pricing and availability on both is still unavailable, but I would estimate availability in late Q2.
Any update on this "Circuit ECU"? It has been a while and when I asked my dealer he didn't know anything about it at all. But then again this is Australia :crying:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.