Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Bollocks.
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read in the R6 section that some people prefer an R6 over an R1... I never heard that one b4... Does the R6 really handle that much more better than the R1? And is the R6 therefore a better drive if you're never going exceed the 160mph barrier??

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
The R6 , and just about all the 600 cc bikes out there, have more power than most average street riders know what to do with. And this is including me.
I personally feel that most people will have a better time on an R6 but no, they have to have the badest bike out there :lol

·
Bollocks.
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about the handling tho? IS the R6 that much more accurate in handling? or easier to handle?

·
The Blue One's are FASTER!!!!
2,467 Posts
A couple of guys on here have kept their R6 and bought an R1 too.:fact I loved my 600, just could not afford both.:(

·
Bollocks.
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why did ya choose the R1 over the R6 then? what made it that much better? is the handling on the "one" comparable? but just with alot more power available on the throttle?

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is just my opinion.

I've got both an R6 and an R1. I mainly ride the R1 but I occassionally ride the R6. I don't do track so all my experience is from the street but I find that R6 is lighter and more flickable. Naturally it lacks the power that the R1 has but it all depends on what you want. Personally I get more of an adrenaline rush from the One.

·
Bollocks.
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive never bin on an R6 nor an R1, but ive seen both fly past me on the road. The One is obviously faster but how big would uou say is the difference? I would guess alot no? Nonetheless the top speed on an R6 is still 160Mph stock isnt it?

·
Backin it in at a track near u
296 Posts
I've got both, My R6 is a dedicated Race bike and my R1 is my street bike. You really can't compare the two bikes, the R6 is so precise with it's handling almost to a point of the bike feeling "Nervous". The R1, even though it's not that much heavier, has a much more stable feeling, however it doesn't turn in or "flick" nearly as fast. The riding style for the two bikes are totally different. Aaron Stevenson from cornerspeed told me that the R1 is one of the few bikes that you steer with the back wheel, it really makes sense too when I see video of myself in the mountains and realize that i'm leaving black marks all over the place...
Personally I love both of my bikes, I really can't pick a favorite. I don't know that I would want all of the power that my R1 has on the track, I would highside almost daily.......

anyway, I hope my pointless rambling helps :)

·
Bollocks.
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes it does, so u agree that for on the street the R6 has more than enough power? Cause the price difference in europe is quite large, insurance wise aswell....

·
296 Posts
Oh yeah, I would say that 80% of the street riders will never use all of what a modern 600cc supersport bike has to offer. For just street riding, even club racing the 600's are perfect. It really depends on you and what you want. I love the flat out acceleration of my R1, but, I love the turning ability of my R6, don't get me wrong, the R1 handles awesome, it's just the difference between a 600ss and a Literbike are quite noticable.

Also, consider the difference in Insurance prices. I know here in the US, that my R1 costs 60% more than what my R6 does to insure, that is a pretty big price difference.....

here is me on my R6 with it's street clothes on

Attachments

·
USMC/0369 1986-2008
5,662 Posts
One of the things that helped me decide was that I new that I would have a passenger at times. I didn't want the sag from the weight and I wanted the power to pull (pax weight) when I needed it. Plus, I enjoy the looks on people faces, well you really don't see their faces when you crack the throttle and they disapear from your mirrors..anyway

The R6 is very very nice for a single rider. If you plan on just ripping asphault w/ no pax. Then it is perfect. You will be able to throw it into a turn very easy.

Just look at what you want out of it. If insurance is a matter, then go with the six. At least you will be riding and not letting it sit in the garage wishing you had a better job to put plates on it.

There's enough guys in this forum that have one or the other or both and they love the R-6.

Which ever one you get, remember BLUE is faster:rock

·
296 Posts
no, red is faster :p here she is in track form (which is the only form she is in now since I don't ride her on the street anymore)

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
The reason I went from my R6 to the R1 was b/c I wanted the low end torque the liter class offers. Also I got sick of all the gear changing.
However now that I see how out of my league I am with the R1 I wish i'd never done it. Don't get me wrong...I love my R1...but it's a beast. The R6 is just a lot more managable. :riding

·
USMC/0369 1986-2008
5,662 Posts
421R1 said:
no, red is faster :p here she is in track form (which is the only form she is in now since I don't ride her on the street anymore)
The only time Red is faster is when you finally catch up and you see my RED Brake-Light when I am waiting for you:yesnod LOL

·
296 Posts
franikk said:
By the way 421, nice ride:rock
Thank ya, maybe I can keep your tail light in view if we ever get to ride together, however where I ride, the bikes don't have any lights ;)

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
I'll take one of each.... Oops, I do have 1 of each...

I love them both for different reasons... The r1 is more fun for straight line hooliganism (or curvy hooliganism wheelying and/or spinning back tire out of corners)...

The r6 is definitely more flickable and I am much faster on the track/twisties on it... It is a blast because you can really wring its neck through the twisties w/out worry about all the stuff than comes with 140 hp...

Not sure which one I love more... They both totally rock...

- BA

·
Bollocks.
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
franikk, are you saying that on an R6 you'd have problems with getting you and a passenger up a steep hill or something???

·
296 Posts
Not that it won't pull a Hill with a passenger, however, when you're riding with a passenger on the R6, you really can tell a difference, On the R1 you hardly notice that they are there (in terms of power/handling)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts