Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my install of A&R Race Baffles today on my 2007 R1.
I'll let the pictures do the talking (if I can figure out how to add photos here now)

:(

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2007 Race Baffles with 4" cut mufflers.

I'll add this too:

I just made my own block off plates by making 4 cuts along the sides of two brass pipe caps, then securing them to the covers. Inside I filled with Chalking. Should be fine, the REEDS are on the under sides of caps. Now not used.

For the EXUP valve, I just cut the valve off, so I can reuse the cover piece, then just disconnected the two cables coming out of the EXUp motor, thus not tripping code.

EXUP THINKS it's doing it's thing, but not VALVE there now, nor cables to valve from EXUP motor.

I removed both Cats by cutting open the med-pipe and hammering chisle in to remove the CAT "honey-combs", buddy has taken pipe to weild it back up together, or I'd have taken some shot of it too. :(

In short :

Cats removed / EXUP VALVE removed (re-used EXUP cover) / Removed EXUP cables at EXUP motor / Emissions plates BLOCKED & Emissions PUMP removed / Blocked hole in AIR BOX that fed line to PLATES / Cats removed / A & R Race baffles w/ mufflers cut 4 inches shorter

waiting patiently for EX=Cat pipe (mid-pipe) to come back

Anyone heard a bike done like this

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
looks good! I wounder what it will sound like. You should post a sound clip

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fired It Up :)

I fired it up with my other Mid-pipe (WITH CATS in PLACE) just a while ago.
It has a LOUD DEEP Bark :)

It's kind of nice having a wrecked 2007 R1, and a new 2007 R1 ... I can experiment on one set of stuff, and keep the other set good.

I have my buddy TIG welding my OTHER MID-PIPE tomorrow (WITHOUT CATS), and I'll check them out tomorrow night maybe if I'm home.

To be honest, I THINK the set up that's on bike now is going to be LOUD ENOUGH for me. I'm thinking the CAT-LESS mid being welded might make the bike WAAAY to loud.

I'll let you know.
:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
sweet I want to do this but I dont know if I will cut down the mufflers. Could you take a few more pics of the exhaust on the bike. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More photos Of RACE BAFFLES

Ok,

Here are more photos of the race baffles on the R1 with the Factory Mid-pipe on with the CATS cut out of them.
They were TIG welded back together by a buddy today.

The bike sounds like a GP now my buddy said as I took it out for a few runs up the road. He couldn't hear what it sounded like over 9000 RPM, because being SO COLD out, I couldn't let it rip past 9000 without breaking tire loose in 2nd.

IT IS LOUD, VERY DEEP, and BARKS! I'd say it's in the 110db range!

I took some sound video with g/f's camera, but she has to download it, them email me them :)

hope it helps.
P.S. I paid $148.00 U.S. A&R Race for baffles, $30.00 to buddy to weld up DE-catted mid-pipe again, and $3.95 for 2 copper pipe caps & 2 stainless steel hose clamps (to block off Emission caps), $7.95 for high heat FLAT BLACK paint for Mid-pipe.

TOTAL = $189.90

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I kind of figured that might happen.
I figure it's no show boat, and will primarily be my track bike next year for Mosport, Shannonville and now Calabogie Race Tracks. For street use, it'll be mainly for what we call here our "Two Wheel Tuesdays" where my KLR650 just seems a bit WAY to out of place :)

I wonder, I could probably put that CLEAR 3M stuff there to take the residue instead of the body work ...

I might look into that, thanks a lot for pointing it out again

christ

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HI,

I don't have sound clips, just say to you DO IT !!
My buddy, a LIFELONG R1 lover took the bike the other day for a 45 minute ride. Highway, and backroads...
His first words after coming back and taking his helmet off was "This bike sounds *^@#-ing fantastic"!!!
Then he said "I never wear earplugs on a bike, but on THAT bike, I NEED HEAR PLUGS! It sounds like a GP bike, and when I would come off the gass, it was amazing sound, the rumble of a GP bike!!"

When I can ride it next (it's snowing like CRAZY here now) ... I will make a run by video.
PLEASE keep in mind it's WAY loud !! But NOT tinny, or hollow sounding AT ALL. Just VERY DEEP, and really great sounding. Another buddy riding with me on his ZX-10 with Hindle said he's NEVER heard any bike sound like mine in his 20 years of riding.

:)
What a happy camper I is.

·
Smooth like #40 Grit Sandpaper
141 Posts
looks good, and your buddy is a talented mig welder, if that's his regular pricing ($30) he's working too cheap IMO, nice work...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.