Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
What Would Rossi Do?
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting back into racing. The R1M has largely rekindled my lust for the track. I sold my race bike some time ago and got into tournament bass fishing over the last 5 years. I love it, but it is a poor substitute for racing - nothing compares, actually.

Anyhow, I've been cruising the race bike classifieds to see what is available and what the trends are in terms of builds. Interestingly enough, there doesn't seem to be many R1Ms out there as built race bikes, unless I'm misreading things. So my research continues...

Seems to be a lot of regular 2015 R1s (Race/Track bikes) on the market...

Is it cheaper/easier to build a regular R1 to race spec than building an R1M for some reason(s) that I'm unaware of? What should I be looking for in terms of a competitive race spec R1 build in the R1M electronics era?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, Josh Herrin has raced in the American Super Bike Series AMA with his mostly stock R1S and was quite competitive.... albeit it was raining. From what I’ve observed is manually adjustable forks are used in favour of the R1M electronic ones... with the few R1M’s I’ve seen in a competitive setting. The R1M just has carbon bits which what makes it pretty. Race fairings are prettier so I’d suggest the R1 and spend the money you’d save on suspension, track focused bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
What Would Rossi Do?
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been out of the scene for a while, and that's one of the questions that seemed to be germinating in my head based on what I was seeing out in the wild...

Is the electronically controlled suspension just not as good as a regular race suspension? Seems like the answer is no based on what I've seen out there in track bikes for sale. If that is the case, it would be a shame for me, as I would think dialing in my suspension by wire would save a lot of time and frustration. It would also appear that the faster crowd favors a standard braking setup versus the R1M.

I guess I was hoping that a built R1M would be easier to tune than a more analog setup.

I've had a bike built before, and it's expensive in both time and money. It turned out great though. If I jump back in, it would have to be a built bike that's fairly well sorted. I'm keeping my eyes open and watching the racing boards for well-sorted bikes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Apart from the suspension there's nothing on the M you'd keep that's different to the regular R1 (S is lower spec engine internals). They offer a race kit for the M suspension, (not sure what it does).
Opinion is though you'll get a better result for the $ buying a regular R1 and and fitting the suspension of your choice, I've not ridden a M though to say first hand.
The electrical connectors do seem prone to crash damage on the M forks and that'll get expensive.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I race an R1M fairly competitively and I regret getting the M almost every time I look at it. The automatic suspension is pretty garbage and most run it on manual mode so it is basically overpriced aftermarket suspension that weights like 10lbs more between the extra ECU and wiring. You end up taking off the carbon bodywork, so that is worthless. The CCU can be added to the regular R1, plug and play. You can't run a YEC ECU or YEC harness, which means you are relatively stuck with ECU location and a heavy wiring harness. I ran into some flashing issues, most likely because it was an R1M, though not 100% confirmed. If the harness or suspension components break, you are going to have a hard time finding replacements.

There are 2 things that I kinda like about the R1M for racing, but they are not really worth the trouble: I ended up with the Ohlins SCU controlled steering damper and I really like the feel it gives. It feels really smart, tightening/loosening up as needed. Also, the stock forks on the R1M are a bit more hardy and crash-worthy... though I am very scared of the price tag when I do end up hurting them.

·
What Would Rossi Do?
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This! This is exactly the type of input I was looking for! Thanks, WolFeYeZ!

So you can't run the YEC harness on the M1 or the regular R1? I'm assuming you meant the M1...

Seemed like the R1M should have been an out of the box track weapon. In reality, it seems as though it isn't that great for competitive racers. I had high hopes that it was more of a turn-key racing platform. What I'm seeing out in the wild doesn't bear this out.

You racing WERA or CCS, WolFeYeZ? Thanks again for the insight. I'm sure I'll have some questions for you.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, YEC ECU and harness do not work on the R1M.

I race MRA, CVMA, USBA and Motoamerica. Feel free to shoot me some questions. I know a few things, but I am just a CPA that likes to race and build stuff mostly :p

·
Unacceptable
1,205 Posts
They offer a race kit for the M suspension, (not sure what it does).
I don't know if it's the same, but there is a kit offered by Ohlins that enables you to add a ride-height adjuster to the shock, as well as internal fork spacers so that you can match front ride height to the rear. Ironic that the fancy-pants mechatronic shock lacks a simple threaded lower clevis, while the pricey, plain-Jane standard shock does have one as standard. :laughing:

The electrical connectors do seem prone to crash damage on the M forks and that'll get expensive.
They can also leak if serviced incorrectly.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/417-yamaha-r1-r1m-suspension-setup-tires-wheels/623970-fork-leak-cap-bolt-steeper-motor-connector.html

·
2015 R1, 2008 R6
444 Posts
Yes, the electronic suspension is great for track day riders. But it is a "budget" Ohlins set up. Wolfez covered it pretty well. The only thing of value would be the lighter rims. Hardly work it. You can spend $2300 for an Ohlins shock and Ohlins fork Cartridges that will improve it better then the electronic suspension.

Its a great bike. Even with the stock suspension on the standard R1 feels pretty good once you find some good settings. Lack of enough ride height adjustment is really the only draw back on the stock shock.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have an R1M for a street bike that's fairly modified and a regular R1 for the track. The M has carbon that you would take off and the ohlins do add weight because of the ohlins computer and extra wiring so most guys take them off. They are a cheaper version the the road and track forks but they are better then a cartridge kit. They look nicer and the legs are coated so there's less stiction I had mine sent off for a revolve and respring for my weight and more travel so they are actually nice but for the track where they are likely to get messed up I wouldn't bother. If you can find an M for a good deal u can sell all that stuff to someone who needs it and pay for some new parts BUT if your going to have to pay more for it then just get the cheaper one since everything your gonna change everything off it anyways.

·
Avid two wheel therapy abuser
417 Posts
The extra money you would spend on the M just put it into a regular R1 (not S) in aftermarket goodies that will make it into a far better track bike imo

·
Registered
181 Posts
On a similar note, I will be removing the R1M suspension from my race bike and selling it as a package cheap here soon... everything you should need, full wire harness, sub harnesses, suspension ECU, freshly rebuilt forks and shock.

·
2015 R1, 2008 R6
444 Posts
R1M has the same cast magnesium wheels as the standard R1 (not the 'S' model).
For some reason I thought the R1M had upgraded rims. After reading up on it they are the same.

·
kickin' at the darkness
9,994 Posts
R1M is a gimmick to sell more 'road-bikes'... :yesnod

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
DarkHorse
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing