Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
bandit bob
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps this post is coming from Scotland ,We are racing our 1999 R1 this year we have set the sag ,We would like suspension settings start point . Have replaced springs front and rear for a 15 st rider any help would be appreciated ,Many thanks to our American friends Rob

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Hi Chaps this post is coming from Scotland ,We are racing our 1999 R1 this year we have set the sag ,We would like suspension settings start point . Have replaced springs front and rear for a 15 st rider any help would be appreciated ,Many thanks to our American friends Rob
To be honest (this is coming from someone who rode a 2000 R1 from Ireland to Croatia via IOM TT, Scotland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Germany, Switzerland & all in between 2 years ago) the rear shock is a piece of shit. It's got major fundamental flaws in design that won't go away with any clicker adjustments. If you want to ride with the stock rear shock, the best of a shit situation is probably: adjust rebound & compression all the way in, then 1-2 clicks out for Comp & 1/4 - 2/3 turns out for rebound. It's pointless trying to adjust much further, as the stock shock with stock oil is going to give you shit, shit damping. (that being said, if you're just racing for fun, do half a season on the stock shock and then upgrade. It will blow your mind.)

The forks are OK, not great - just make sure you keep fresh oil in them and get a decent set of fork seals in there (SKF are the best, and this is the kit # for the 98-01 R1 forks: SKF Fork Seals - Road )

Why is this important you ask? The forks don't have replaceable bushes - if the oil gets thin the bushes score the fork tubes, and fork stanchions are a LOT more expensive than just keeping the oil fresh. The SKF fork seals help to keep the bushes healthy too by taking a little bit of pressure off. Also, leaking forks? Not allowed on the race track, so that's another reason to keep them healthy. (I have 2 left forks in my garage right now off my 2001 R1 that are done - bushes have eaten into the fork tubes)

Back to the rear shock... have a chat with Maxton, they do a rear shock for the 98-01 R1 which fixes all the flaws, and considering Maxton's expertise in designing a solution for the 98-01 R1, money worth spending if you are serious about grip.

I did a few laps over the Mountain on the Isle of Man back in 2013 with the 2000 R1 I mentioned earlier, before I took it around Europe. It had Maxton rear shock & Maxton fork carts, and how it flew over the mountain had blokes in my group with newer, faster bikes wondering WTF!?!?

If you can, get Maxton to spec you fork carts to go with the shock. That's the best solution. However, if you're on a budget, here's what I've done...

The 2001 R1 I bought last year had stock suspension, and handled like a wallowy piece of shit. It's got an Ohlins rear shock now (it's almost as good as the Maxton was, it's going to need a revalve to get there), and I'm ordering custom fork piston valving from Daughtery Motorsports: Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification

Jamies' site doesn't look that great, however let me tell you, Jamie Daugherty is a ****ing good suspension engineer. He absolutely, absolutely knows how to engineer you a solution for your specific needs - and he's affordable. Tell him Joe Stewart (aka Platinumgrit) from the IBSF referred you.

Anyway, long story short - the right springs are a good start. But if you're going to race? You really need to get a decent rear shock. Don't wait 'til a highside to sort that rear out.

Oh, and if you're thinking of KTech, don't. Ktech are good, but, they simply don't have the data and won't solve the problem you have with the 98-99 rear end as well as Maxton will.

·
My R1 go to warp drive
498 Posts
Jamie Daugherty has positive reviews all over. When it's time to rebuild my fox shock, I'm sending it to him, and I'm currently building a zx6r track bike, what ever his suggestion is to get the suspicion sorted based on my level is what I'm going with

1 - 3 of 3 Posts