Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident Antagonist
1,732 Posts
I'm not sure how much riding experience you have, so one thing I'll suggest before you ever attend a school is hit the books and videos. Keith Code from California Superbike School has written a few books that helped me out a lot when I first started riding.And if you plan on dropping money on a racing school the more prepared you are the more you'll get for you're money. A racing school is a great time and a great investment but watching the videos and reading the books before you go will improve how you do there and you're chances for analyzing your mistakes and improving at a faster pace. Trust me once you hit the track the day seems like its over before you ever really get going. I went to the California superbike school twice back in the early 90's and at the end of the day there was still so much more I felt I could improve. That being said the only school I can speak about through experience is the California Superbike School. It's a well organized and very proffesional bunch of people.But again, at any experience level, reading a couple of good books like "The Soft Science to road racing" or "Twist of the Wrist 1 or 2" really can open your eyes long before you ever hop on a bike. Get some good books and videos before you go.. its money well spent.

http://www.superbikeschool.com/
http://schwantzschool.com/
http://www.penguinracing.com/
http://www.fastfreddie.com/

Bapman

·
My Twins took all my money
2,456 Posts
Let's see, as mentioned Keith Code. You start on level 1 work to level 4. Then you can take Code Race. They might let you go straight to Code Race, I'm not sure, but I would most definately do the first 4 levels, it's really worth it. Guys that go to WSMC have decided to take it and have improved just in the first level.

Another one is Jason Pridemore's STAR motorcycle school.

Same tracks too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have done a lot of schools but the best one by far is Freddie Spencer's school in Las Vegas. I have only done the his pro school and I am going back for the second time this year. His is the only one I will spend the money on now. Look it up on net.

Mike

·
Dark Horse
3,031 Posts
fastbydrmike said:
I have done a lot of schools but the best one by far is Freddie Spencer's school in Las Vegas. I have only done the his pro school and I am going back for the second time this year. His is the only one I will spend the money on now. Look it up on net.

Mike
What other schools have you attended and how did each compare?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bapman,

I've been riding motorcycles for nearly 20 years. I'm turning 25 on the 17th and have been riding on the street since June of '96 (as soon as I could get my class M Permit). I've been to several trackdays already, but I wanted constructive criticism on my technique.

The main reson that I'm looking to do this is because of a friend I work with. In the late '90s his parents' business sponsored a race team (covering 70% of all costs), and had my friend to manage it. The team name was called: "Team Race Against Cancer", the riders name was Joe Cubbage. They were racing in the 250gp class on a YZR250gp. (What happened to the team is another story)

Anyways, if I am able to successfully complete 5 days of track riding/racing classes, he will set me up with a trackday where his parents would watch me ride. Then perhaps if they feel that I have the needed abilities to race, they will help sponsor me.

My friend has agreed that he'd put in $1 for every $2 that I put in towards the training/classes. (In my eyes, it's not a bad deal considering that I'll be having all of the fun!) He had also agreed that he'd help me gather other needed sponsors afterwards too!

So, I feel that this may be my opportunity to reach a dream! I won't know until I complete these classes though!

I have signed up for the "CLASS Motorcycle School" on Novemeber 23rd & 25th at Laguna Seca a couple of months ago. I was also considering signing up for "California Superbike School" at Infineon Raceway (Sears Point) on back to back days in December. Should I just go to the same school each time and perfect the info that they give me or should I switch out schools each time and pick up some of each?

All information & opinions will be greatly appreciated!

·
Resident Antagonist
1,732 Posts
r1ryder1770 said:
bapman,

I've been riding motorcycles for nearly 20 years. I'm turning 25 on the 17th and have been riding on the street since June of '96 (as soon as I could get my class M Permit). I've been to several trackdays already, but I wanted constructive criticism on my technique.

The main reson that I'm looking to do this is because of a friend I work with. In the late '90s his parents' business sponsored a race team (covering 70% of all costs), and had my friend to manage it. The team name was called: "Team Race Against Cancer", the riders name was Joe Cubbage. They were racing in the 250gp class on a YZR250gp. (What happened to the team is another story)

Anyways, if I am able to successfully complete 5 days of track riding/racing classes, he will set me up with a trackday where his parents would watch me ride. Then perhaps if they feel that I have the needed abilities to race, they will help sponsor me.

My friend has agreed that he'd put in $1 for every $2 that I put in towards the training/classes. (In my eyes, it's not a bad deal considering that I'll be having all of the fun!) He had also agreed that he'd help me gather other needed sponsors afterwards too!

So, I feel that this may be my opportunity to reach a dream! I won't know until I complete these classes though!

I have signed up for the "CLASS Motorcycle School" on Novemeber 23rd & 25th at Laguna Seca a couple of months ago. I was also considering signing up for "California Superbike School" at Infineon Raceway (Sears Point) on back to back days in December. Should I just go to the same school each time and perfect the info that they give me or should I switch out schools each time and pick up some of each?

All information & opinions will be greatly appreciated!

My point of view here will only be my opinion... because you really gotta listen to that little voice in your head here and do what you feel will prepare you the most. No one knows your strengths and weaknesses like you do.So you really have to tailor your schooling to your specific needs.

But my overall opinion would be,if you are having potential sponsors scouting you in the near future you should be exposing yourself to as much track time with instruction as possible. And be absolutely crystal clear with your instuctors what you are trying to do. At this point your abilities as a racer are probably as much a question mark in your head as in your potential sponsors.
You need to know where you stand with your lap times to know if you will be competetive, and if you aren't yet how close you are to being in the ballpark. Be optimistic but be realistic as well. Good luck

Bapman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts