Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I prevent the fans from operating until the engine is running and alternator is providing power?

I have owned and operated an 05 R1 since April 2005, 76,700 miles ago last Saturday. I have rebuilt it after a crash in 2012. My current battery is a YUASA with 190 CCA purchased and installed September 2014, approximately 9K miles ago. I have been working through electrical issues ever since accident rebuild. I have frequently placed battery on slow charger, probably too often. I am worried that I have ruined and expensive battery. My most recent learning however is the battery sounds and behaves as if it has a low charge after bike has been ridden for 40 mins. Usually if I stop for gas, or accidentally stall due to clutch misuse. My assumption is that fans engage whenever the ignition switch is on and the engine temp is 190 or above. I am also assuming that the fans are drawing enough charge that there is not enough battery voltage left to start the bike. Could I be correct? The bike consistently starts when engine is cool.

Are the fans supposed to run if the engine is not engaged and the alternator is not providing power?

I'd appreciate any help at all!
Thanks!

· Do it once.. Do it right!
46 Posts
If your fans are kicking on at 190, that's too early.
Pretty sure the thermostat is set to open around 180 to 190.
Most engines are set to run in this temp range.
My 05 R1 fans kick on around 217 then are off at 210 as it cools down.
It's late at night for me (otherwise I'd look for you) but check to see if there's a resistance check for the coolant temp sensor.

Ken

· Do it once.. Do it right!
46 Posts
Btw - the fans will run if the engine is not running, key is on, and temp is above 217.
Verified this while doing a coolant flush.
While doing the flush, Twice I ran the engine til fans cycled (i.e. 217 to 210) and then shut down the engine. I'd anticipate the temp rise and turn the key right back on and watch the temp rise 20 seconds or so after shut down.
I'd leave the key on and let the fans run to cool the coolant in the radiator.
The fans would then turn off when the sensor was at 210.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.