Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

found this forum by chance & pretty glad, I pick up my new 2001 blue/white R1 tommorrow! :cool:

Wondering if some of you who have owned/ridden the R1 for ages could tell me a bit more about the handling & things to watch out for. Ive owned a Honda cbr250 rr for 2 years & gather the R1 gonna be.. well :eek: different

thanks

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

Well.. I haven't ridden the R1 for ages.. but my first impression was that it's a lot more faster and quicker in every sence ... from my old CBR900RR.

And going from a 250 to the R1, you'll feel A LOT of difference in POWER. But that's a good thing I guess.

Just be careful! The R1 is a bit sensitive to input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: new R1

thanks for the welcome Swedie,

Gonna take my time & get a feel for the R1, thats for sure! Hmm, heaps curious about the suspension, been reading how others trying different settings.. think I'll ask a mechanic at the shop. When I sit on it I can comfortably touch the ground, but would be good if was like an inch lower, are you able to adjust the rear to drop it a touch without spoiling setup?

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
:machinegu WELCOME :machinegu (my standard welcome)
You cannot adjust the rear ride height on a R1 without changing parts but either way it would affect the handling. First thing you need to do is have a cometant mechanic set the suspension for you(if he does not have you sitting on it or does not use zip ties he is not doing it right) and get a steering damper,these things should have come with one.

·
My R1 Eats My Pay Check!
152 Posts
Welcome !!!

I just have one recommendation:

Buy a steering damper!
Buy a steering damper!
Buy a steering damper!
Buy a steering damper!

Oh, did I mention, buy a steering damper!?!?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE: Steering dampner

this steering dampner, is it something I can fit myself without too much problem? Or should I get a mechanic to fit it?

:rock

I'm at work looking at console thinking I should have taken toady off & spent some quality time with my new R1.. pretty sad aayy, ahh well only 8 hours left till I'm on it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts