1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
LIFE IS SHORT
12,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gay or not Gay, you make the call

"Real Men Prefer Manual Transmissions"
By Dirck Edge

As automatic transmissions move more aggressively into the world of motorcycling over the next few years, we may eventually see the same sort of thought process associated with automobiles. Sports car drivers have traditionally preferred manual transmissions, while touring or luxury car drivers preferred automatics.

Indeed, there may initially be some macho resistance to automatics on motorcycles across the board. We predict automatics will take over a significant part of the market, eventually, but manufacturers will be concerned about customer resistance to this change. Manual transmission motorcycles (like cars) will always be available, of course, but the comfort and convenience of an automatic (together with moving all manual controls to the hands and away from the feet) will draw its share of customers . . . particularly commuters and tourers.

So while you may hear more than once that "real men prefer manual transmissions", the arrival of motorcycles with automatic transmissions in significant numbers is inevitable.

·
Akrapovic xplane
6,024 Posts
thats what my cage is for

·
Starting construction!
1,662 Posts
Do they mean clutchless, or completely auto??

Because racebikes are already halfway there (clutchless upshifts), and there are clutchless downshifting systems out already too - tested but I dont think they're there yet.

Complete auto would be a worry...

·
will work for tires
97 Posts
Was that article published in a magazine or what? I could definetly see automatics getting big on highway touring bikes like a goldwing or some BMWs (if they don't have them already. I think those big scooters like the Silverwing have automatics. don't they?). I could never imagine having an automatic in the traditional sense on a sportbike. Why would I want to add all the weight, loose all the extra HP through a torque converter, and sacrifice control??? Sign me up under "customer resistance."

Like most people so far I just don't believe it will ever happen. Thankfully.

·
lost
914 Posts
well think about it,I mean some supercars are going towards automatic eg the McLaren SLR. even the Aston Martin DB-9 you can either use automatic or paddle shift.
Just hope superbikes dont go in the same direction

·
Registered
390 Posts
The FJR 1300 already comes with an optional clutchless shifter, just tap up or down on either the foot shifter or a button on the handlebars and the gears change. It's still got a fully functional clutch, so it leaves you with the ability to shift normally when you feel like it, then switch over in traffic. I think it even shifts into neutral if you roll to a stop.

I would say keep that shit away from sportsbikes just on principal, but if it doesn't add any real weight, many people would probably prefer to have it as an option. I have only driven one automatic car in my life, and I kept kicking at a phantom clutch and couldn't stand it. Given the option I would rather have the big 4 develope some launch control or something cool like that to play around with.

·
Registered
527 Posts
F that...

The only auto I've owned is my current truck. It was fine until I started riding and rediscovered the fun of a manual.

Now I wish it was a stick.

But, no one sells a 1/2 ton pickup with a stick anymore - at least not with 4wd, a decent interior and the big V8...

·
Registered
96 Posts
A constantly varriable trans would be cool, and theres a bike around my town with one of them, custom chopper kinda thing. The trans keeps the motor in the power band of the motor neerly 100% of the time.

Sounds weird taking off though, motor revs and when you think theres a shift coming up it just stays at that RPM

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ted G said:
A constantly varriable trans would be cool, and theres a bike around my town with one of them, custom chopper kinda thing. The trans keeps the motor in the power band of the motor neerly 100% of the time.

Sounds weird taking off though, motor revs and when you think theres a shift coming up it just stays at that RPM
Yeah a CVT might be kinda cool. Not sure how well it would work in the motorcycle realm but I think there are possibilities there.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.