Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I took my rear tire off to change as usual the other day. After reinstalling the wheel setup, I reset my piston to put onto the rotor. Went to use the rear brakes and NOTHING. So I bled the brakes, the pedal firmed up, but then just got real "spongy" when I tested (but still fairly firm if that makes any sense). Tried bleeding again, same deal. Noticed the piston still moved, but seemed to not go any further (kinda a back and forth motion onto the pad). So I took the caliper back off, checked the piston while free and it came out as it should. So I put them back in, bled yet again, and still not strong enough to press the pads. What could be the issue? Should I just get a new caliper/master cylinder combo and be done with it? Thanks in advance.

·
The Lead Farmer
25,425 Posts
That or is just a stubborn bleeding job. I've come across a few that were a bitch to bleed throughout the years of bleeding brakes.
He didn't open the system prior to reinstall, so I wouldn't think it would be an issue. Almost sounds like an alignment problem. Bearing, spacer- something.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sounds like mine was not too long ago. I ended up rebuilding the master without any luck. Ended up being the caliper that was bad. I tried everything..clamped the pistons down and bled just to be sure there wasn't air behind them. Tried power bleeding as well and I also had speed bleeders lol. It was a pain in the ass until I replaced the caliper. Came right back to life. Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone....i'ma double check the spacer, if it's that i'ma feel like a real :butt ... LOL but worst case, new caliper, maybe suttin a little better than OEM :dollar

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
AnonymousR1
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing