Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Baby Blue
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2001 R1. I LOVE IT! Had a YZF600R. A world of difference. Anyway I am wondering if there is anyway to remove the rear fender without cutting it. It looks like I need to cut the retaining pins that hold the fender to the undertail. Is this true or is there another way. Also if I cut the pins, how do I re-attach the rear fender to the undertail? I was thinking of buying some small screws but its a bitch to get your hands down in there.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
First :machinegu WELCOME :machinegu
Ok down to biz.Yamahakid is right do not cut the push rivits just push the small part up and pull them out. Are you wanting to cut the big ass billboard license plate part? if so get an intergrater kit for the rear turn signals then take off the plate and blinkers,I know you don't want to cut it but you really have no choice either way weather you buy an undertail or just cut off the back it has to be cut no matter what. DO not cut the part that has the rivits(plastic thingys) unless you get an aftermarket undertail(www.hotbodiesracing.com). Let me know if I can help.

·
Baby Blue
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know exactly what your talking about. I took a brief look yesterday and saw the pins and wasnt sure if I had to drill them out or what. I will try your method. Thanks a lot man.

·
Baby Blue
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks Yamahakid and Twisted Logic. right now I was thinking of just cutting the rear license plate bracket(until I get enough money for a nice undertail kit). I have a dremil with a nice cutting disk that will work good. I am ordering an integrater kit from that web-site you gave(nice models!) so I can get rid of the rear lights. With Christmas and everything cant really afford to buy a lot for it right now(its very tough deciding...presents for family or bike????). But next spring would like to get IVAN jet kit and Leo-Vinci high mount slip-on. Oh these long winter months in CT.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Hey bro I understand the lack of $$$$ thing,I just got an undertail for my 2000 about a month ago. If you use a dremel it will work great but make sure you file the edges cause they are gonna melt under the heat and speed of the dremel tool,but that is fine.I cut mine while still on the bike,it is easier to tell where you need to cut that way.Be careful not to cut into the storage area.Wiring the intergrator kit from Hotbodies is a piece of cake. Let us know if you get into a jam.

·
Baby Blue
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help man. Im going to try cutting the bracket this winter, then wire up the kit when it comes in. Waiting for Spring is the hardest part. Later

·
:)
387 Posts
i just recently cut my license plate guard off. here is what i used and it worked great ! ! ! i took off my license plate and used masking tape to make sure i have a straight line to cut accross. i used what i would call a drywall saw. it is a small hand saw with really fine tooth pattern. i did it by hand while still on the bike. after i slowly cut it off, remove the masking tape and use a finger nail file (stick, not disk: don't laugh) because it is really fine and remove the "burr" from the cut. i'm not opposed to dremel tools, i have one myself, but power tools without a proper guide (straight edge) to cut against can make it look very unprofessional. it only costed me $.99 cents; and that was to replace the finger nail file for my aggrevated wife...... haha. :eek:

good luck. let us know how you do....

·
Baby Blue
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great tip Selftc! I have a small sheetrock saw at home, just need to get a finer tooth blade. Your right that will probably work better than the dremil. Cant wait to try it!

Hotbodiesracing, first let me say thanks for the babes on your sight. Could you tell me what kind of plastic you make the undertail out of, and if it comes with any warrenty say if the plastic cracks or something.

·
Registered
79 Posts
warrenty

Fiberglass actually (same as everybody but the canadian guy) I've had one return out of hundreds and yes I'll warrenty it, but the only way it'll break is if you mishandle it, I was surprised at how much bending they'll take befor ethey crack(I had to find out!)

Roger

·
no refunds allowed
79 Posts
I have a whole set of pics I took doing that fender chop, but photopoint seems to be down, so i can't post them.

If you dremel, be careful of how you cut it... I went a little too fast and cut in to my trunk when I did mine and made a hole about the size of a marble :bash

I would take the painted tail section off and drop the undertray off the frame so you can flip it over and cut from the inside a bit easier. Takes more time, but it will be worth it when it looks better. good luck!

·
Baby Blue
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in Rocky Hill, about 10 minutes south of Hartford.

I think I might take selftc's advice and use a fine tooth sheetrock saw. That way I can control it easier. My only concern with taking the undertray off is not having a vice or anything to put it in to keep it from walking when Im trying to cut.

·
:)
387 Posts
i'm not saying my advice it the best way of doing it, but based on using that method, it was very easy. as far as a vice is concerned, i kept the tray on the bike and used my other hand to hold it steady. the key thing is to mask it off with tape and use that as a reference line to make a straight cut. even with a fine tooth hand saw, you will still need to file it to remove the plastic burr created from the cut. only took a total of about 10 minutes. good luck......

·
Registered
54 Posts
Scooter, I live in Woodbury, closer to danbury. Do you ever go to super sunday at the dairy? I have a 2k R1 that I put to the mercy of my dremel. If you take your time and a lot of care, it should come out to look like an after market undertail. (minus the paint) Mine came out excellant after about three hours of fine sanding and detailing with the dremel. Good luck!

·
Baby Blue
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No I have never been to Marcus Dairy, but my parents live in Danbury and I used to drive by there a lot. Even when its not Super Sunday they always have lots of bikes there. I think I might start with the sheetrock saw and finish with the dremil to grind down what I cant get to.

Happy Holidays everyone!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts