Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
My R1 is my M1....
409 Posts
I think it's 'supposed' to be done the way I did the 2 piece rotors on my car.
Goatse....you would be correct. However, to pass an aircraft inspection the wire twist rate you have is technically a bit too tight. The reasoning behind this....the tighter a twist rate you produce, the more induced work-hardening is placed on the stainless wires....this in turn increases the probability of failure over time. Just remember we are talking specifically about aircraft. But, in reality it applies in any situation with vibration and or heat cycling. Just my 2 cents worth!

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,438 Posts
What is the twist rate supposed to be?

·
Tin Foil Hat
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Update... not safety wired yet, waiting in a 43t sprocket. But looks snazzy.

Attachments

·
Tin Foil Hat
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
looks great what length bolts did you go for in the end?

Do you know if the hub assembly is the same on earlier models?
Ended up with m10x1.25x30mm Ti Race Spec. Ended up going through probolt, bolt length is perfect.

·
Tin Foil Hat
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I don't believe the hub has every changed. If you've never pulled the studs before, a propane torch to heat them up will be nice to have.

·
Tin Foil Hat
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Front rotor bolts thread into the wheel. Some aftermarket wheels come with bolts as well. Not saying you're wrong, just giving some examples of Bolts v. Studs.

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
i use aluminium nuts to hold the sprocket . also aluminium nut to hold the front sprocket for more then 3 years already i think .
both torqued to much less torque then oem spec .
no issues.

if your chain and sprockets are perfectly aligned there should be no axial forces on the bolts (except initial tightening).

·
I miss my R1
2,984 Posts
Don't forget you are also going Ti thus adding even more strength.
When are you guys going to realize that high grade steel is stronger than titanium? Titanium is not some magic metal, it has benefits (lightness) at the cost of some negatives (namely, strength) when compared to high grade steel.

If you had to make a fastener that weighed 2 oz, titanium would have the advantage, as you could make it larger. But you're replacing a particular size of bolt/fastener with titanium, which makes it weaker.

I work on M777 howitzers, which use titanium extensively in the carriage and spades, to keep the weight down so that the gun can be air-lifted. There isn't a single titanium fastener on the gun. Know why? It's not as strong as high grade steel.

Seriously, it's your money so spend it how you want, but don't go fooling yourself into thinking you're smarter than the engineers who designed the bike.

·
Tin Foil Hat
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
When are you guys going to realize that high grade steel is stronger than titanium? Titanium is not some magic metal, it has benefits (lightness) at the cost of some negatives (namely, strength) when compared to high grade steel.

If you had to make a fastener that weighed 2 oz, titanium would have the advantage, as you could make it larger. But you're replacing a particular size of bolt/fastener with titanium, which makes it weaker.

I work on M777 howitzers, which use titanium extensively in the carriage and spades, to keep the weight down so that the gun can be air-lifted. There isn't a single titanium fastener on the gun. Know why? It's not as strong as high grade steel.

Seriously, it's your money so spend it how you want, but don't go fooling yourself into thinking you're smarter than the engineers who designed the bike.
Okay, not to pick apart your argument, but the engineers also put 3 pot calipers on my bike. The engineers over at pvm use bolt for their wheels, so do a lot of German manufacturers. I'm not saying I'm "smarter", I'm simply modding my bike, finding ways to make it lighter that work. We all know unsprung and rotating mass is the best weight to cut. I have a ti front axle, it's not the steel that came in the bike, I'm fine. Same with caliper bolts, pinch bolts subframe bolts...ect... Who knows maybe this won't work. The only problem I can see is the lack of loctite, but safety wiring should fix that.

Also, what grade are those studs? I'm assuming grade 5 zinc plated?

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts

titanium is stronger then grade 5 steel , weaker then grade 8 steel .
its strong enough to replace 100% of regular fasteners on the bike .
there are no armor plates on a bike , no super strong grade steel needed.

engineers who designed the bike had cost in mind . for their race bikes they use titanium exclusively .

·
I miss my R1
2,984 Posts
titanium is stronger then grade 5 steel , weaker then grade 8 steel .
its strong enough to replace 100% of regular fasteners on the bike .
there are no armor plates on a bike , no super strong grade steel needed.

engineers who designed the bike had cost in mind . for their race bikes they use titanium exclusively .
Fine, titanium is some wonder metal that has absolutely no drawbacks at all.

This is the emperor's new clothes, only with metal. You guys are freaks :p

*edit* Oh, for the record, an M777 howitzer costs over 3 million dollars, I guess they used steel to keep the costs down? ;)

·
I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,633 Posts
Fine, titanium is some wonder metal that has absolutely no drawbacks at all.

This is the emperor's new clothes, only with metal. You guys are freaks :p

*edit* Oh, for the record, an M777 howitzer costs over 3 million dollars, I guess they used steel to keep the costs down? ;)

He said grade 5. The new M has one use only case bolts, they could have used steel there too.
It's done for a reason and the OP stated his reasons for using TI.
No one says it's the strongest material out there but then he's not riding a Howitzer into battle either.

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
yes they did .
if you work on the m777 , and know it costs 3m , you should know that this is an upgrade of the m198 , same gun , just without the ti upgrades .
can you tell us how much the original cost ?
upgrading this guns fasteners to ti will have negligible effect on its weight .

the f35c costs more then 100m , and it uses ti fasteners all over :grin2:

·
Tin Foil Hat
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
yes they did .
if you work on the m777 , and know it costs 3m , you should know that this is an upgrade of the m198 , same gun , just without the ti upgrades .
can you tell us how much the original cost ?
upgrading this guns fasteners to ti will have negligible effect on its weight .

the f35c costs more then 100m , and it uses ti fasteners all over :grin2:
:fact

41 - 60 of 77 Posts