Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Tin Foil Hat
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
He said grade 5. The new M has one use only case bolts, they could have used steel there too.
It's done for a reason and the OP stated his reasons for using TI.
No one says it's the strongest material out there but then he's not riding a Howitzer into battle either.
:lol :fact

·
Registered
232 Posts
Personally, I would be careful selecting bolts in some of the high load areas of the motorcycle. Ti case bolts are a no brainer, they just hold the covers on, not much of any load. Ti axles? Sure, fairly thick and beefy, not much chance of shearing a Ti axle. A sprocket bolt is a fairly high load bolt. Sure Ti bolts will work assuming you have the proper strength. It is not a bolt I would take a chance on in I was unsure of the quality of the bolt. Imagine the chaos that could happen if your sprocket bolts sheared of at 100 MPH.

·
Tin Foil Hat
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Yeah I've though about that. Then I look at the little m6 bolts that hold on the brake rotor. They probably see the same amount if not more than the sprocket. Thoughts? Ti bolt has 880MPa, and 950MPa tensile strength minimum. Maybe my conversions off, but that's 149388.831 psi.

·
Save a life, grope your wife!
1,488 Posts
When are you guys going to realize that high grade steel is stronger than titanium? Titanium is not some magic metal, it has benefits (lightness) at the cost of some negatives (namely, strength) when compared to high grade steel.

If you had to make a fastener that weighed 2 oz, titanium would have the advantage, as you could make it larger. But you're replacing a particular size of bolt/fastener with titanium, which makes it weaker.

I work on M777 howitzers, which use titanium extensively in the carriage and spades, to keep the weight down so that the gun can be air-lifted. There isn't a single titanium fastener on the gun. Know why? It's not as strong as high grade steel.

Seriously, it's your money so spend it how you want, but don't go fooling yourself into thinking you're smarter than the engineers who designed the bike.

An argument in a thread where none existed. The R1 isn't launching explosive projectiles at enemy ground forces either. I think the Grade 5 Ti bolts he got are more than enough for the job. Probably enough to hold together that peashooter you mentioned too.

https://www.probolt-usa.com/titanium/titanium-bolts-flanged-hex-race-spec/titanium-hex-head-m10-x-1-25mm-x-30mm-race-spec-1.html

·
Tin Foil Hat
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
An argument in a thread where none existed. The R1 isn't launching explosive projectiles at enemy ground forces either. I think the Grade 5 Ti bolts he got are more than enough for the job. Probably enough to hold together that peashooter you mentioned too.

https://www.probolt-usa.com/titanium/titanium-bolts-flanged-hex-race-spec/titanium-hex-head-m10-x-1-25mm-x-30mm-race-spec-1.html
:lol I love you sometimes

In all seriousness, this wasn't to start an argument. I had every intention to have Ti road threaded, and use that as stud. I actually have two pieces of rod here (no pun intended). But I sat back and though about it. Came to the conclusion that I could just do it with bolts instead.

Now, next serious question. How should I safety wire these. All six tied together, or just do two to each other, in a backwards S fashion?

·
Mad Thou Rider
2,742 Posts
I don't believe the hub has every changed. If you've never pulled the studs before, a propane torch to heat them up will be nice to have.
thanks, good info.

any chance you can throw the stock studs on a kitchen scale? im curious as to the actul weight difference.
:lol I love you sometimes

In all seriousness, this wasn't to start an argument. I had every intention to have Ti road threaded, and use that as stud. I actually have two pieces of rod here (no pun intended). But I sat back and though about it. Came to the conclusion that I could just do it with bolts instead.

Now, next serious question. How should I safety wire these. All six tied together, or just do two to each other, in a backwards S fashion?
if it was me, Id be doing them as the 'S' tyle, so that if one loosens, the other tightens.

If you do all 6 in one peice, and the wire breaks (Rare I know) then A) you have a LONG peiece getting tangled in stuff, and B, all bolts would be able to loosen.

Doing them 2 at a time should mean less stress on the wire, shorter lengths to get jammed /tangled, and even if it breaks, only 2 bolts could start to loosen, instead of all 6 - which I would consider important given the ti to alu requiring anti-seize in stead of loc-tite issue.

·
Tin Foil Hat
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
By the way brother, that looks sawheeet!:boobies

You get the other sprocket in and safety wired yet?
Yes sir, everything is in and going really well so far.

Attachments

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
Looks really nice!!! I just mounted my BST's and found out when I was putting my sprocket on that the hub is totally different in size and it only has 5 bolts instead of 6 (pretty strange) What sprocket you running on the front. I noticed you went down 2 in the back, I did the opposite and went up 2 in the back and down 1 in the front and the down low power is sick. My days of going over 160 are over.

·
Tin Foil Hat
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Looks really nice!!! I just mounted my BST's and found out when I was putting my sprocket on that the hub is totally different in size and it only has 5 bolts instead of 6 (pretty strange) What sprocket you running on the front. I noticed you went down 2 in the back, I did the opposite and went up 2 in the back and down 1 in the front and the down low power is sick. My days of going over 160 are over.
Im currently -2 front, and -4 rear. So that puts me at 15/43. Pretty close to a -1 ratio, which slightly more top end. I think im going to buy another cush assembly (about 100 bucks) to make swaping sprockets easier. Ill probably throw a 44t on that one.

fvcking righteous! I may steal this idea in the near future.

So far im loving it man. Rotational mass is hard to drop, because theres only so much you can do. Those studs were pretty heavy.

·
LIVE EVERY MOMENT!
2,381 Posts

Driven is only sprocket i found that has 49t sprocket for bst wheels . I found out same way you did. Lol. Go to http://www.solomotoparts.com/

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
:jump:jump
Driven is only sprocket i found that has 49t sprocket. I found out same way you did. Lol. Go to SoloMotoParts.com - Motorcycle Parts, Gear & Accessories

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks for the info. I ordered the Driven sprocket from MotoMummy along with a Shorai battery. I'm a bit disappointed though. I placed the order on April 1st and still haven't received my parts yet.:icon_cry:

Edit: Spoke to early, the parts just came in. Off to the garage:jump:

61 - 77 of 77 Posts