Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cant turn right king
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago i took my rear wheel off to get a new tire but then I had to put it back on. I was riding around and was on my way back home when all of a sudden it felt like i popped the tire, i get home and i find out that its kinda like.. I think the whole rim itself shifted to the right... The brake support i think shredded the ball bearing and the brake support itself you can see that it was rubbing against it... mainly cuz theres a 2-3mm deep gash that was ground out by the wheel. The axle itself is jacked up too, because the ball bearings basically exploded and turned it into confetty sanding down the axle.. so theres a gash in that now

Im woundering what should I do? Should i go buy a new rear rim w/bearings and axle or should i jsut buy a new axle and bearings... Also WHAT DID I DO WRONG WHEN I PUT THE WHEEL BACK ON?! DID I MISS A PART OR SOMETHING... from left to right... axle - (those blocks 2 change how far the wheel is on the swingarm) - the rim - the brake support - (the other block) - washer - Axle Nut

Is there right? how come my bearings blew?

what is the proper procedure for putting a rear wheel back on?

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
I would definately get a new rim and anything else that is defictive......Its your ass if you doing 100 mph + and somthing on the rear go's

This is a really dumb ???? but did you torqe down the rear nut?

sounds like everythin is put back on together right

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Maybe you got dirt and shift left on the bearing/spacer and it eventually grinded hard enough in the metal to make it weaker, so over a bump in the road it caused a crack and from there gradually just worn down and then snapped completely and this will cause the rearwheel to go back and forth whilst the bearing will try to spit itself out of its socket.

·
My R1 Is My Therapy....
424 Posts
Theres a little steel ring with a rubber seal on it that spaces the rim away from the brake mount on the right side, without it the wheel rubs right against the brake mount and could cause exactly what happened.......dont take any chances, replace the wheel because theres no telling what heat damage could have been done to weaken the structure of the wheel, axle too......:hellobye

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
DID I DO WRONG WHEN I PUT THE WHEEL BACK ON
The brake support should not be touching the ball bearing. You probably forgot the metal spacer that is slid in the bearing before installing the wheel (If I recall this right)

·
My R1 Is My Therapy....
424 Posts
Juerg said:
The brake support should not be touching the ball bearing. You probably forgot the metal spacer that is slid in the bearing before installing the wheel (If I recall this right)
Same thing i was talking about..... :thumbup

·
Mike
1,167 Posts
The spacers are not the same on both sides. If you accidentally swap em and put them on the wrong side, the alignment will be off. They look the same, but definetly are different sizes.

I bet this is what ya did, put the left one on the right and vice versa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts