Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just brought home my own wrecked r1.
Will need the whole community help support and knowledge to rebuild my baby. It is pretty bad at the moment.
will be looking into the details and ask about you guys opinion if it’s worth it or not.
But to not bike is sentimental attachment so gonna try very hard to get running.
many suggestions which I should keep in mind before starting.
Thanks

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,045 Posts
Inexpensive fairings;

Fairing stay;

Headlight assembly;

Some other stuff here and there. Did the speedo make it? Any damage to the harness? Any damage to the frame?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Inexpensive fairings;

Fairing stay;

Headlight assembly;

Some other stuff here and there. Did the speedo make it? Any damage to the harness? Any damage to the frame?
Main frame is good but sub frame got messed up. Speedo I have to double check. Someone took out the ecu not sure if towing company did or where did that happened.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,045 Posts
Most fairing kits can ship with a tank cover. If the tank isn't leaking, just throw a tank cover on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any idea on ecu ? On eBay it’s up to $400 any guess where can I get for little less money

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,045 Posts
Ebay is going to be your best bet. You can also call and check with mr motorcycle recycler, highside cycles and the like.

Honestly I'm thinking the bike is totalled. Your master looks broke, your subframe is broke you said, there is the front end damage, you need the ecu, the harness looks pooched. Might want to call that one a loss and part it out and get another bike. You can sell the engine for a couple grand, sell the exhaust, sell the frame, sell the dampener etc and offset the cost of a new bike. Initially it looked like just some plastics and the stay, the deeper the damage gets, the more it sounds like a lost cause.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ebay is going to be your best bet. You can also call and check with mr motorcycle recycler, highside cycles and the like.

Honestly I'm thinking the bike is totalled. Your master looks broke, your subframe is broke you said, there is the front end damage, you need the ecu, the harness looks pooched. Might want to call that one a loss and part it out and get another bike. You can sell the engine for a couple grand, sell the exhaust, sell the frame, sell the dampener etc and offset the cost of a new bike. Initially it looked like just some plastics and the stay, the deeper the damage gets, the more it sounds like a lost cause.
Oh it will be painful without an R1 🥺.
Where would I be able to sell the engine? Any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Do you think it can’t be rideable if I put in 1500-2k?

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,045 Posts
Do you think it can’t be rideable if I put in 1500-2k?
Ecu: $400 subframe: $350 plastics: $320
How much is left? No. I don't think you're going to be riding it for under $2,000.

Selling the engine, list it on Ebay bro. Or sell it to someone like mr motorcycle recycler or highside cycles.

Whatever you do bud, good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ecu: $400 subframe: $350 plastics: $320
How much is left? No. I don't think you're going to be riding it for under $2,000.

Selling the engine, list it on Ebay bro. Or sell it to someone like mr motorcycle recycler or highside cycles.

Whatever you do bud, good luck.
Thanks bro

·
Registered
395 Posts
1202067 is right. I would budget 4k to get the bike up and running, and maybe more to level where you don't feel you're riding a patched up machine. There's going to be stuff that's broken that you havent seen yet. Bent forks, rims, leaking rads, cracked structures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1202067 is right. I would budget 4k to get the bike up and running, and maybe more to level where you don't feel you're riding a patched up machine. There's going to be stuff that's broken that you havent seen yet. Bent forks, rims, leaking rads, cracked structures.
Yeah makes sense

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are so many pieces that we can't see. The expensive ones off the top of my head are the rear subframe, which a straight one off of eBay is around $300. A good condition tank $300. If forks are bent, $500 + upper/lower triples $50. Gauge cluster, at least $100.

Anyway, definitely more than $2K to have it up and running correctly. I'd just part it out and start out fresh.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts