Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
So hard to find any good deal on R1, don鈥檛 wanna leave R1 family group 馃ズ
When I bought my most recent bike, I kept the previous so I wouldn't have to leave 馃ぃ

The last R6 I rebuilt still ran my friend around $5k on parts. He got a full exhaust, new set of OEM fairings for $500, and velocity stacks with flash. As soon as we pieced that thing together and took it back on the road, we immediately discovered the front forks were tweaked and rear tire had a consistent leak. He had to get a bunch of other things aside from that. This was well over a year ago. We just concluded today that his stator has failed prematurely and are in the process of replacing both stator and rectifier to ensure his bike runs correctly. We originally thought it was his battery being OEM (I still stand by my statement that the OEM R6 and R1 battery is absolute hot trash), so we ended up replacing it to a lithium one. But he finished a ride today, said his bike was acting funny, and it took his bike 16 minutes to reach full charge after a ride. Something is screaming rectifier and stator to me. We still don't know if there are going to be additional issues we find once we tear his bike open or if the replacement of those 2 parts will fix his bike misfiring and running like crap mid ride.
Anyhow, repairing the R1 you've shown is probably more of a nightmare than you'll really want to deal with. It's suffered far more visible damage than my friend's bike, and I already hate his R6 because I never believed Yamahas could be as finicky as his is. I concur with the other guys telling you to sell the thing and just start out fresh again.

Registered
'08 r1
I saw a couple of minty looking '05s for 3,500 today on fb marketplace. They had some newer bikes, but they were spendy. Cycle trader is about dead and I've been finding bikes on cl and fb marketplace mostly.

Dealerships pay dirt for bikes and sell them for gold. That leaves private sellers unloading the bikes themselves. They don't want to pay to unload it so they list where it's free. It's unfortunate no one has made a site to dig across free classifieds like fb marketplace and cl and the like and bring all the listings to one spot, but so far as I know, that hasn't happened.

Deals are out there bro, you just gotta dig.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There are so many pieces that we can't see. The expensive ones off the top of my head are the rear subframe, which a straight one off of eBay is around $300. A good condition tank $300. If forks are bent, $500 + upper/lower triples $50. Gauge cluster, at least $100.

Anyway, definitely more than $2K to have it up and running correctly. I'd just part it out and start out fresh.
馃憤馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I saw a couple of minty looking '05s for 3,500 today on fb marketplace. They had some newer bikes, but they were spendy. Cycle trader is about dead and I've been finding bikes on cl and fb marketplace mostly.

Dealerships pay dirt for bikes and sell them for gold. That leaves private sellers unloading the bikes themselves. They don't want to pay to unload it so they list where it's free. It's unfortunate no one has made a site to dig across free classifieds like fb marketplace and cl and the like and bring all the listings to one spot, but so far as I know, that hasn't happened.

Deals are out there bro, you just gotta dig.
Looking into 13 one looks pretty nice also found one 14 same as mine but is little too far away from me

Registered
'08 r1
Good luck bud. You going to part that one on Ebay? Or call one of those we buy wrecked bikes guys?

Registered
If you buy the plastics, you can cover up what it needs. If you buy plastics and a sail, you can windsurf down the highway and look pretty bada$$ doing it...

One Liter Duck Eater
Hey guys just brought home my own wrecked r1.
Will need the whole community help support and knowledge to rebuild my baby. It is pretty bad at the moment.
will be looking into the details and ask about you guys opinion if it鈥檚 worth it or not.
But to not bike is sentimental attachment so gonna try very hard to get running.
many suggestions which I should keep in mind before starting.
Thanks
Ah! I see what the true problem is... you have green rims馃ぎ. All joking aside. If you want to rebuild it and your budget is limited, you could rebuild it during the winter. Winter prices aren鈥檛 as bad. If you need to ride it this summer, then your either pay the piper, or part it out. I would clean her up first in order to make a judgement call on the rebuild first. Just by first glance, your going to need:

Headlight
Full wiring harness
ECU
Forks?
Case covers
Fairings
Windscreen
Taillight
Seats
Tank
Clip-ons
Gauges (12-14 different from the 09-11)

This is at a quick glance.

Registered
'08 r1
Ah! I see what the true problem is... you have green rims馃ぎ. All joking aside. If you want to rebuild it and your budget is limited, you could rebuild it during the winter. Winter prices aren鈥檛 as bad. If you need to ride it this summer, then your either pay the piper, or part it out. I would clean her up first in order to make a judgement call on the rebuild first. Just by first glance, your going to need:

Headlight
Full wiring harness
ECU
Forks?
Case covers
Fairings
Windscreen
Taillight
Seats
Tank
Clip-ons

This is at a quick glance.
You forgot the sub frame, the plastics, new front brake master, resivior and lever, signals and anything we can't see (radiator? Rear sets? Etc etc etc). But yea, it'll buff out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Headlight
Full wiring harness
ECU
Forks?
Case covers
Fairings
Windscreen
Taillight
Seats
Tank
Clip-ons