Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would start a thread documenting the rebuild of my recently acquired 01. It's in rough shape and there's lots of work to be done. Mechanically I'm starting with the electrical system. Basically nothing works. It has been hacked up and poorly repaired by the previous owner/owners. It didn't have keys when I got it, so I got a cheap ignition switch from Amazon just to get me started. The next obstacle is the right handlebar switch. The original is in bad shape. Going to attempt to repair it for now, but will eventually replace both of the bar switches. I have a feeling most of the electrical components will probably need to be replaced.

The story I got from the previous owners is that he had the bike for a year or so and that it started on its own when he got it. Then the starter button stopped working so he was starting by jumping the solenoid. Eventually jumping the solenoid stopped working so he started pop starting it, but then he lost the keys and that's when gave up and decided to sell it. Supposedly it ran "really good", though.

I was able to get it turning over by jumping the solenoid, but it was turning over really weak. Took the starter apart and found that two magnets had come of the can and were wedged in there and the armature was grinding on them. One of corners of one magnet had broke off and is missing about 25% now. I glued the mags back in the can hoping that it will at least work well enough to use to help sort out the rest of the electronics, but will be getting a new starter asap.

From the little bit I was able to get it turning over the engine sounded good. It's full of fluids and isn't leaking or anything, so I'm hopeful that the engine is good, or at least not trashed.

My plan for now is basically to try to get running to the point we're it's reliable and safe and ride it for a while, then this winter I will completely tear it all the way down and give it a complete and proper restoration.

Cosmetically, all the plastic is rough, and I am missing a few peices. I got an aftermarket upper fairing because the original was beyond saving. I am going to reuse the rest of the original fairings, but they all need some significant repair work. I have started those repairs already. I am a collision repair tech, so that stuff is relatively easy for me since I have the resources available.

Well I guess that's pretty much the whole story for now. I'll update as I go. Will probably need some help along the way too.:cool:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost done with the repairs on the tail. A little more sending and it will be ready for primer. I didn't think to take before pics before I started working, but basically there were a bunch of small cracks, a few big cracks, and a couple chunks missing. Started the repairs on the lower fairing too. Got an after market upper fairing but the fit is pretty bad. I am not surprised considering I basically bought the cheapest one on eBay. It will need a lot of work to make it look right, but it should be good in the end.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fuel tank

Hood Automotive design Bumper Paint Trunk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great job!!!!!

I have the same 2001 in Red like yours and had many newer R1s 2002, 2004, 05, 06 LE and soon a 2022. I can tell you that the 2001 is super special. Part of the first R1 series iconic design and the last one with sweet sounding carbs!!

Keep it and enjoy it forever. Don't repaint the tank if you can since it seems in excellent shape and will give more value to your bike when finished, since it is the original paint job and has the original Yamaha graphics that look cool and make it authentic. Red is my favorite color, after the original white R1 from 1998!!

Try to get the original blue titanium exhaust for your R1. Will be an awesome iconic bike!

More pictures as your progress...:) ! Very exciting project!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great job!!!!!

I have the same 2001 in Red like yours and had many newer R1s 2002, 2004, 05, 06 LE and soon a 2022. I can tell you that the 2001 is super special. Part of the first R1 series iconic design and the last one with sweet sounding carbs!!

Keep it and enjoy it forever. Don't repaint the tank if you can since it seems in excellent shape and will give more value to your bike when finished, since it is the original paint job and has the original Yamaha graphics that look cool and make it authentic. Red is my favorite color, after the original white R1 from 1998!!

Try to get the original blue titanium exhaust for your R1. Will be an awesome iconic bike!

More pictures as your progress...:) ! Very exciting project!
Thanks! I am very excited to get this up and running again. Unfortunately the tank is not in very good condition. I didn't show it well in the pics, but it had a few significant dents and the paint was already in rough shape. Also, the bottom of the tank had several dents in it as well. I believe someone tried the compressed air method on it already and over did it, then had to hammer it back into shape. But yeah, unfortunately the tank is not in great shape. I will get it fixed and working for now, but I'm already on the lookout for a nicer one. I will post more pics as I go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts