Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
glad to see people are getting this taken care of. but in the future guys; if you live in a dessert dont park your bike in the sun. that kinda seems like common sense to me
So where do you suggest guys in a desert park? Under a tree?

Not too many of those in your average desert mate!
Thats common sense to me!:hammer:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have just checked my 2010 R1 and they have fitted frosted piece's under the light. I have attached a pic below to show the mod.

·
R1SP only the best will do
2,639 Posts
No I think it gets melted by the sun being focused through the head lamp, like a magnifing glass. I'm not too sure what they do to fix it but i think it is something like a sticker that go's on the under side of the head lamp to block the light from focusing.
Had mine done last year before any damage appeared. Yeah it's just a small sticker placed where the sun magnifies the rays through the bug eyes.:fire

·
Registered
995 Posts
i'm thinking to remove the glass ... it would look way better without the external one, it got another one inside ... i need to check how it impacts the light beam

·
I am my battery's tender.
2,217 Posts
Mine has some melting spots now. I don't park facing the sun anymore. I will get it fixed by the dealer sooner or later.

·
look for special phrase here
9,923 Posts
Just talked to the dealership after he called a few guys. Apparently this doesn't happen to any of us in the midwest (at least nobody has reported it :dunno ) which doesn't surprise me that I'm the exception :crash the first person he talked to said they were doin the fix by applying a frosted vinyl/sticker. He thought was to "hokey" and would eventually start peeling which I'm glad he didn't settle with that. One of the next people said to replace the whole housing. So looks like I'm getting the '10 frosted housing and they are also replacing all the melted plastics :jump just waiting on parts then I can throw the hids in :hammer:

now if I could only get the cct fixed also.... :crash

·
look for special phrase here
9,923 Posts
Here are some pics i took with the phone. I have better/actually clear ones on the camera but that would require me to hook it up to a computer

here you can see 2 burn marks right next to each other in the gray area

you can't really see it in this one but it's just to the right of the light reflection

also note that in each of the light marks/reflections is where the paint is starting to become wavy. I doubt you'll be able to see it though with these pics :crash

**in the 1st and 3rd pic the wavy marks are just to the right of the reflection

·
Registered
12 Posts
my 09 is in geting a new starter motor atm, dealer called me and told me he was gonna replace headlight surounds also due to this issue. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just checked my 09 today that has just under 900 miles on it and I have the melting spots as well. My bike is always garaged except for ride time, but the bike did sit outside at the dealer. I'll hit up the dealer sometime in the next couple days and try and get those frosted lens.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Just talked to the dealership after he called a few guys. Apparently this doesn't happen to any of us in the midwest (at least nobody has reported it :dunno ) which doesn't surprise me that I'm the exception :crash the first person he talked to said they were doin the fix by applying a frosted vinyl/sticker. He thought was to "hokey" and would eventually start peeling which I'm glad he didn't settle with that. One of the next people said to replace the whole housing. So looks like I'm getting the '10 frosted housing and they are also replacing all the melted plastics :jump just waiting on parts then I can throw the hids in :hammer:

now if I could only get the cct fixed also.... :crash

Speak for yourself. I have it going on with my 09 right now and I live in Wisconsin. Dealership is looking into it at the moment. I should be hearing back soon.

·
Banned
12,673 Posts
got em on mine too. anyone know if the dealer will just give you the stickers or do they insist on putting them on. i hate having them morons touch my bike. the last time was a nightmare

Attachments

·
Fire for effect
2,593 Posts
speaking of recalls has anyone got any information on the CCT? Been reading some disturbing things that the 09 has problems... would like to know in advance what I'm getting myself into when I get home and pick one up.

61 - 80 of 417 Posts