Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just put a deposit down on a 2006 5vy in red, cant wait to get it, my last bike was a 5pw 2 years ago so good to be back on an R1.

I'd really like a gear indicator. Which one would you all recommend? I would prefer a plug and play but can solder if need be.

Cheers
Dave

· Registered
2,185 Posts
Did you have this on your old bike? reason i ask is i never had this at all on my old bikes and for the most part always knew what gear i was in. My xplane was the first time i had 1 and i can honestly say i never used it, im no pro star by any means but you can totally tell just by the way the bike pulls. My duc came with the heal tech and its a nice unit but again im not looking down at that thing to see what gear im in.

· Crossed Up
1,587 Posts
Did you have this on your old bike? reason i ask is i never had this at all on my old bikes and for the most part always knew what gear i was in. My xplane was the first time i had 1 and i can honestly say i never used it, im no pro star by any means but you can totally tell just by the way the bike pulls. My duc came with the heal tech and its a nice unit but again im not looking down at that thing to see what gear im in.
I never needed one on my old bikes, but after having one on the R1 I wouldn't want a bike without one now. I used FT ECU to change the speedo on my R6 racebike to a gear indicator. Sure a guy mostly knows the gear he's in, but the instance where he does need/want the gear indicator it's worth its weight in gold.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never needed one on my old bikes, but after having one on the R1 I wouldn't want a bike without one now. I used FT ECU to change the speedo on my R6 racebike to a gear indicator. Sure a guy mostly knows the gear he's in, but the instance where he does need/want the gear indicator it's worth its weight in gold.
My last bike didn't have one but on one occasion on track I forgot what gear I was in, ended up being one too low and locked the back end up. Scary moment. A gear indicator is cheaper than a slipper clutch too haha

· Registered
1,365 Posts
I have this on my 07 but with blue LED and I cannot fault it. Excellent product :thumbup

.... unlike the Acumen I had previously which was a piece of shit. I was never able to get it to work despite buying the plug and play loom and following some trouble shooting emails from Acumen including unsuccessful harness butchering.

· R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,034 Posts
The only time I find it to come in handy is when I'm not sure if I'm in 5th or 6th gear.

I got one of these, its not an easy install but if you do decide to get one let me know and I will share my "how to" with you...

http://www.banggood.com/Motorcycle-Display-Digital-Gear-Indicator-p-949456.html
Can't beat the price.

· Registered
2,185 Posts
The only time I find it to come in handy is when I'm not sure if I'm in 5th or 6th gear.
our bikes come with 5th or 6th? :kekekegay::kekekegay:

I totally agree with that though. I dont know if the one on the duc is set up wrong but after this thread i went on a ride and was checking out the gear indicator and noticed that the gear didnt show up until the clutch was fully released. It must be set up wrong because wouldn't this defeat the purpose for track guys

· Registered
1,365 Posts
the gear didnt show up until the clutch was fully released. It must be set up wrong because wouldn't this defeat the purpose for track guys
It's set up correctly. It works by comparing the ratio of wheel speed and RPM. Until the clutch is released the ratios its reading don't fit what it knows. When the clutch lever is fully released the ratios will be back to what its learnt and a gear will be displayed.

The only way to accurately have gear displayed before the clutch is released is for it to be read from the ECU. This is how factory ones work and also the GiPro DS series which plugs into the diagnostic system. Unfortunately Yamaha doesn't use a diagnostic port so we are stuck with the older method. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.