Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, does anyone know how you are identified on one of those cameras at the intersections? Is it off the front license plate or does the camera in the opposing lane also get a shot from the rear of the car? I've started seeing a bunch of things pop up around here. Big brother is watching!!!

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
We don't have them yet but they can get you catacorner or from the rear, depends on the system and how they set it up. Some even get a front and rear view of the vehicle. Also, depending on local precedent they may or may not attempt to id the driver. A secret I've *cough* heard of , about toll cameras , is to ride to the extreme right or left at speeds below 35mph (in fla. at least) . That way the bike does'nt set off the toll sensor and the speed cameras not set off which would get you for sure.

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*cough**hack* Yeah, on the tollway here in Houston, you just simply ride the dashed white line between the two lanes for a free pass..........the trick is avoiding the popo sitting on the other side sometimes....LOL I was just wondering about the cameras because bikes don't have front license plates:crash Yeah, go ahead, try to ID me with a full face helmet and heavy tint visor:finger

·
the Green Bastard
6,974 Posts
The only ones I've seen here in colorado only take a picture from the front...I don't know of any others that take a pic from the back....

Run as many redlights as you want!

WOOOHOOO!

·
Registered
261 Posts
In my city in Colorado, we have 2 types. The speeding ones that is a minivan that sits on the side of the road and if you are speeding it takes a picture of the Front of your car only, but we also have a red light one, that if you blow the red light it takes like 4 pictures of you from different angles. So they do catch your license plate.

·
the Green Bastard
6,974 Posts
On2Wheels said:
In my city in Colorado, we have 2 types. The speeding ones that is a minivan that sits on the side of the road and if you are speeding it takes a picture of the Front of your car only, but we also have a red light one, that if you blow the red light it takes like 4 pictures of you from different angles. So they do catch your license plate.
Dayum...where is that at?:dunno :butt

·
I suck less than you
466 Posts
It only gets worse.

You Sods... Stop your whinging.

Here in Melbourne Oz, our redlight cams are so old they're rusting and being replaced with the next generation of revenue raisers. The 'Speed & Red Light' Cam combo.

Nice isn't isn't it?

We can get done for speeding (we have a 3Km buffer too!! They so naice.:rant:) and red light breaches in one hit. I guess they've done it just to save us time. Thoughtful.

On the topic of your redlight cams, here are some things to think about. Firstly ours only take from the front. And secondly, they typically are not all active at once. They install the pole roadside but move the internals from point to point. At least thats what they were doing here until these new items appearred. Keep in mind that there are many models available globally so yours may work in both directions.

And I'm qualified....

Melbourne is apparently the most heavily road-camera-policed city in the world, netting AUS$450-500M per annum in a city of only 4 million.

We have a wide range including fixed cams, mobile cams (not cops), redlight cams, bus lane cams, The fixed items on most freeways that earn on average $260 per minute. (sorry TOO FAST but a waste of money they are not.) Make no mistake folks every government on the planet will develop a similar addiction to this revenue stream before long.

The reason??

They can get away with it all in the name of road safety!! AND continue to blame us when the road tolls aren't in alignment with their "Preventative measures".

On the upside, we (bikers) don't have to pay tolls. They tried it and the Motorcycle Riders Association staged a protest. A few thousand of us all did laps of the most congested part of the tollway during peak hour. Seems to have worked. They canned the idea.

Yay.

However, our gov is investing $16M to develop some method to identify registraion in the front of all bikes.... Because they don't get revenue from us.

·
Registered
851 Posts
would they even bother sending you a notice in the mail if you ran a red light? they have to prove the registered owner is also the rider. so obviously with a helmet on...its impossible. half the time those cameras are not even on. only during peak time.

·
...Is just so addicted to R1..
902 Posts
It's irrelevant..

Funny as it sounds, it's really not funny- IDing is irrelevant- at least in NY, where the cameras have been shooting for a couple of years now... They don't worry about ID ing the driver- the simply mail a ticket to the registrant of the vehicle - the way they get around the legality issues of this is by the fact that you do not accrue points for such violations- because they CAN'T ID the driver - no matter how clear the picture. Unless a cop ID'd you in person and wrote you, you can't enforce points against a person- it would be really unfair and the insurance/legality ramifications would cost the tax paying middle class american another fortune (like the fuucking martha stewart bullshit that THANKFULLY should be coming to an end shortly). The camera thing is strictly for municipal revenue...

1700warrior said:
*cough**hack* Yeah, on the tollway here in Houston, you just simply ride the dashed white line between the two lanes for a free pass..........the trick is avoiding the popo sitting on the other side sometimes....LOL I was just wondering about the cameras because bikes don't have front license plates:crash Yeah, go ahead, try to ID me with a full face helmet and heavy tint visor:finger

·
I suck less than you
466 Posts
We wish we we're so lucky....

Here, you get a letter in the mail AND you lose points. The only way to avoid the fine and points is if someone else submits a statutory declaration that states they we're riding/driving your vehicle. If someone else was using your vehicle at the time the infringement occured and refuses to sign the doc, then thats just tough love baby. Its your fault for letting them use your vehicle.

Basically your guilty until proven innocent.

The only advantage is that, should you be low on available points, you may be able to get a sympathic friend to take the blame although you would of course refund them the cost of the fine for such a noble deed.

From where I sit, you folks enjoy a refreshingly liberal road policy.

ontiK...

·
Registered
596 Posts
The picture is taken of the rear plate.
My co-worker had a ticket mailed to him for running a red, nice clear shot of the rear of his truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts