Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So was riding my 07 R1 the other day and the red light of death turned on. Red oil light. I stupidly always thought this was a light to let me know the bike is overheating, cause I ve only seen it turn on since the summer started for a few seconds when the bike was really overheating (240F+). But it would turn off pretty quickly once I was done filling the bike up (usually occured at gas stations cause I killed the engine while it was still pretty hot). But on Wednesday it turned on before the bike was even hot (165-180F). It turned off pretty quickly (<1min), but at this point i became worried but still rode it all the way home without revving real high (under 8krpm). Called my mechanic and he said its your oil pressure light, and in most instances you need to pull over immediately and shut the bike off. Now, please keep in mind this is an 07 with 5600 miles. I put on 3k of that in the last 6 months. So the bike has sat for some time. So some of the plastic parts might be breaking, like the sensors for example. My mechanic warned me of this. Also, yes the bike has oil :).

So has anyone had experience with this?
Where is the oil pressure sensor? Is it the one under the engine case by the oil plug? Or is that the oil level sensor? I cant seem to find the exact answer on diagrams.

Also has anyone switched them out before? Can i do it myself without going to the shop?

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Halfway in the window. Def less than i had, cause that sensor has had a tiny oil leak. Most likely cause of a bad gasket. Was meaning to replace it anyway, but your saying thats not even the sensor in question most likely?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
That is the oil level sensor. It's probably OK, they do start to come on when the level is about half. Try topping up the oil with say 200 ml.

They are sealed in the hole with an O-ring, but they can also leak along the cable. I'd suggest cleaning off the oil and then checking to see where the leak is.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Just to clarify, the engine has an oil level sensor but not oil pressure. Not sure why Yamaha make them that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just to clarify, the engine has an oil level sensor but not oil pressure. Not sure why Yamaha make them that way.
This is easy. A level sensor alerts you while it's still pumping oil. A pressure sensor alerts you basically as the engine is destructing.

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,763 Posts
That is the oil level sensor. It's probably OK, they do start to come on when the level is about half. Try topping up the oil with say 200 ml.
This. Just add enough to get the oil level 3/4 up the window and you shouldn't see the light again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So update. Turned out to be the oil. Did an oil change and replaced the sensor. Hopefully all back to normal. Getting bike on Wednesday. Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Oleg232000
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing