Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I'm wondering.. what ways are there to reduce the weight of the R1?

I got the MIG high-pipe.. is it lighter than the stock slipon?

·
2001 Red R1
71 Posts
Well one way to reduce weight is to eliminate the radiator fan. I know what you are thinking, but I have done this in my Suzuki 750 w/no problems. The hotest the tempeture got was 214 w/the fan and w/out the fan was 216, the trick is to keep on moving if you are on traffic for long periods of times. Remember I also live in Miami. "hot hot" and it works. Im planing on doing this to my R1.:eek:

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea!
How much weight is put off by doing that?

I know what you're talking about. I've been to West Palm Beach area.. and Dude, it was so damn hot that I bathed with clothes on! haha

I wanna go there again (were there in July)

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
Go on a diet? One of my riding buddies is 220lbs; I weigh 160. What are the chances of shaving 60lbs off an R1?:D

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True true

You shouldn't fill up the tank to full if you want to head out to do some major stunting :)

Btw, I gotta tell you this. I could bring up the CBR900RR in 6th gear with FULL tank!!!!! I'm so fucking proud over it!! it's a shame I destroyed it. :rolleyes:

How much would that helium do?

What's 1 Lbs in Kg?

·
Registered
313 Posts
helium would not make a difference at all , your talking about a gas. helium weight a fractions of an pound lighter than air. not even that heavy, how much does air weight.:hellobye

·
R1 xTc
244 Posts
I know that a stainles Hindle full system with a tatainium end can will save you 15kg or 33.069lbs.
Thats with power gains every where above 3000 rpm.

:)

·
2001 Red R1
71 Posts
I really don’t know about filling your tires w/helium or riding naked on the street,:eek: but for sure this is a list of thins I know for a fact that can help you on the weight department.

1. The best thing you can replace to loose weight is your exhaust system, especially if you go w/a Full system. Akrapovic has probably the lightest full system and is probably one of the most powerful one out there.
2. You can remove the radiator fan as I already mention.
3. You can remove the horn and horn bracket.
4. Convert the chain, front and rear sprocket to a 520. This will make the bike lighter and quicker.
5. Remove the chain guard cover.
6. Replace the front turn signal lights w/flush mount ones. This will remove some weight and reduce air friction.
7. Remove rear view mirrors. This will remove weight and reduce air friction.
8. Remove the rear left foot peg for the passenger.
9. Remove any reflectors and reflector brackets from the bike. It has 2 in the front wheel along.
10. Replace the tail section w/an undertail section. This will remove some weight and reduce air friction.
11. You can replace the front brakes liquid holder w/a clear tube w/a cap on top.
12. Add bigger holes to your rear brakes disk. Or buy on already made. This will make the bike lighter and quicker.
13. Replace the front and rear wheels. Marchesini wheels are made out off magnesium very light very expensive.
14. Replace the front and rear wheel shaft w/titanium ones. “expensive”
15. Replace steel bolts w/anodyne ones.
16. Remove the air induction system like maxprimal already mention.

Well, I can’t think of any more thins at this time except for the obvious ones like.

1. Going on a diet.
2. Going to the bathroom before riding.
3. Putting $1.00 of gas a time.

Good luck.. :rock

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
n: I'm not overweight and I cannot reduce my weight much more.. so I'm fine thank you :p

R1_Dave: Really? that much? How much does the manufacturor system weight?

I got the MIG high-pipe. I don't want to loose it. Can I buy half a system?

Nice list there Rick! :eek:

·
My R1 eats me...And I love it!
260 Posts
ok here are my mods which i did all with weight reduction in mind. different brake lines front and back-use kevlar not steel braided-steel is heavy. different rear and front sprocket-lost good bit there. and by the way muzzy is the lightest system for the r1-5lbs. for a full system. carbon fiber chainguard, undertail, and bar-ends- the stock bar ends weigh a lot- but make sure you can handle the bike witout. lose the air induction and the exup goes with the muzzy replacement. also replaced the exup servo with a electronic box to simulate it. all nonstressed bolts were changed to anodized blue-tank,windshield,fairings, and engine bolts. It was the best looking bike I ever saw 'till that stupid azz:bash pulled out in front of me:cryin . Now im doing more to it so I can drag it and am waiting for my 2002 to come in.:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
some nice work done the Phoenix. Care to show us a photo? I wanna see if it "looks" .. like has reduced weight.

I don't know if i can afford to do all those stuff.

·
R1 xTc
244 Posts
Swedie I saw an ad in one of my mags, can't find the thing now.................

I try to find it but have a look at www.hindle.com. I also found this:-

Mitonga Racing
Norbersgatan 19
214 50 Malmo, Sweden
Phone : 46 40 19 41 40

Try calling them as there your Hidle distributer in Sweden.....Have fun.........;)

·
Back from retirement
81 Posts
light exhaust

graves motor sports has a full titanium system,, that weighs only 7.2 lbs,,,, and is claimed to have a dyno reading at about 145hp w/ 78lbs of torque

SPEED IS MONEY,,,,,,, HOW FAST DO YOU WANNA GO :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
maxprimal: sure :D

I don't want to change the high-pipe.

321 cya: I bet that's with heavy carb tweaking

·
Born to do trackdays
386 Posts
Weight of tyres

Hi, you can also have a look at the weight of the tyres. I cannot find the links now, but I seem to remember that there is quite a big difference between different makes.

·
Born to do trackdays
386 Posts
Reduce the battery size

Hi, one of the heaviest things on your bike is the battery. There's an article somewhere on the net about power-to-weight ratios and a weight-reduction exercise on a Honda SP1 (I think). One of the biggest reductions came from changing the battery to the smallest size that can start the enigine and is a specialized light-weight design. There was quite a couple of pounds saved with this.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts