Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Reevu Rearview Helmet Review!

10K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  VR4Mit3000GT 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted back in December when I purchased the helmet that I would write a review for those that were interested, but skeptical of buying this helmet... so here it is...MY review....

First off, I bought the helmet from kneedraggers.com and was very pleased with the transaction! I happened to get it on sale since it was around the holiday season when I purchased it....interestingly as I am typing this, I checked and kneedraggers does not sell this anymore... but here is my original thread on this helmet.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328369&highlight=reevu

I'm sorry it took so long for me to review this, but I wanted to ride it for a while and actually see the likes/dislikes of the helmet over time....

DAY TIME RIDING:

It does take getting used to. It took me about 30-45 minutes to get passed the fact that I had a rearview mirror and to not stare at it. It is NOT there to stare at and use a mirror like you would in a car, it's just to glance at and see what is in your blind spots and what is behind you. The little mirror you see out of can be adjusted both up and down, as well as tweaked forward and backward for different riders.
The image of what is behind you is a little bit distorted, but it's clear in seeing that there is something there... and for everyone that is worried about this application on a sport bike you can see fine with the riding position. All it takes is a very slight nod of the head up or down to see what is there and is not uncomfortable at all. The sun does not blind you as the view is tinted.... it hasn't bothered me at all.

NIGHT TIME RIDING:

First thing everyone wants to know is, how do the lights effect your vision. Simple answer is, I do not get blinded at all from the glare! The stock rear visor is tinted so having a light there is actually a good thing telling you that you have something behind you. Otherwise it's just black and you cannot see anything.

General Comfort:

Airflow seems to be good... I only have to compare what helmet I came from, which was the Scorpion EXO1000. It is little quieter than the Scorpion is in my opinion, but I can still hear the wind. I have not worn a high dollar helmet before, so I can't compare to it, but reviews I've seen on youtube say it competes with them. It weighs a lot less than my Scorpion does though, however the vision seems a bit cramped. With the little mirror that you see out of above and the wind deflector over your nose, everything is a little narrower so looking down at my gauges require me to tilt my head down as opposed to just glancing down with your eyes like in my Scorpion helmet.

Overall:
Basically I would highly recommend this helmet! Everything is interchangeable from the front AND rear visor, to the padding inside being snapped in place. The quality in general is kinda mediocre. I think in some places they could have done a little better, but for what you pay it seems about right. Btw, they go for around $400 dollars and you have 3 or 4 colors to choose from.
I would say it completely changes your entire riding experience for the better and makes you feel much safer knowing what is potentially behind you. It has already saved me 4 times at least. Also makes you feel safer at traffic lights being able to see who is coming up behind you! Riding in groups too makes it a lot easier to locate your fellow riders.

Another thing I was curious about is the mirror fogging up. So far it has not fogged up, but with the airflow it makes it less likely to fog up. Even getting caught in a rainstorm the other night, this did not effect the mirror and my vision at all surprisingly.

If there are any questions specifically you are curious about feel free to post it on here and I will try and answer them as soon as I can! I hope this was helpful at least a little bit! I am no professional critic when it comes to these sorts of things, so I appreciate you taking the time to read this review!

Thanks in advance!

Edit: One more thing I wanted to mention is the strap when putting on and taking off the helmet. It is a quick release so even when your gloves are on, it's extremely easy and convenient to take off and put on your helmet without feeling like it's going to fly off your head!

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks for all the replies!!

It really will matter how you would have the mirror adjusted for yourself, but when I ride in the tucked position I find it to be natural because my head is already tilted up (which if I'm in an upright position I find myself slightly tilting my head up to see out of the mirror). That is just the way I have it set up for me though. Because you can move the actual mirror forward, backward, and tilt it at an up and down angle I think every rider will experience something slightly different. Everything is "slight" though... it's not a dramatic head shift to see.

But no, I have not had any problems as far as finding a comfortable riding position... It's truly a very comfortable helmet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.