Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen on r6mn a guy that his front wheel was not aligned with his steering... now i cant seem to find how that is possible.. but since i remounted the forks i think that this is happening to me (not that bad though)

is it even possible? is it in my head? how can we adjust that? ive set both forks 99% same height and same torquing on bolts.

thanks

·
My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i will do that in a few minutes... but what i meant is:

look at your forks, mark a notch to keep the same side facing the front (or rear...)

lets say you remount them 180 degres... like what was facing front, is now facing rear

will that change anything? i dont think so since the tube is perfect all around

·
My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the glass trick proved they are straight...

now someone told me about untightening all upper and lower tripple bolts and just putting your wheel between your legs and turn (adjust) the steering so all is centered.. is that even possible? i tought the piece holding both forks would assure everything is centered (unless its bent itself)

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
you fork tubes are pretty strong. They can get twisted a bit in the tripple clapms though, just like when you were a little kid on a bicycle and crashed and the wheel was not pointing straight anymore.

This is fairly common with upside down forks, as the forks are pretty strong.

To fix it you basically remove the forks from the tripple clamps, loosent he top tripple clamp nut, and reinstall everything.

there is a bit more to it, but thats the just of it.

·
The Patient
1,643 Posts
only if your forks or your triple clamps are bent, forks are pretty tough but hthe triple clamps are friggen butter, they beend for no reason at all, if you tire is misaligned from your handlbars then odds are your triples are bent,

you can restraighten the forks and wheel by tightening the clamps a bit and banging the wheel straight but then you put pressure on your bushings and seals and they will wear prematurely,
if everything is straight, when you tighten the the triples down on the forks, the automatically want to find 90 degrees to the fork uppers.

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
that has not been my experiance.

if you remove both forks, and loosen the top tripple clamp nut so the top clamp will move right and left independant of the bottle clamp when you put the forks back in you will see if the tripple's are bent or not.

The first fork will almost always go in no problem, when you put in the second leg is should slide right in place. If it slides through the bottm clamp but then does not line up correctly with the top clamp the lower clamp is bent.

I have found that in non bike totaling accidents is pretty common for the forks to spins slightly in the clamps with actually bending either the forks or the clamps.

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
if u checked with the glas and the forks are straight than 99% the triples are good also .
i think its in your head.
there are still a few things u can check:
check for even settings on the forks for compression /rebound /preload.
check if the chain adjusters are even at both sides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.