Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
-----2005 R1----
So the two most rear tabs on my tail fairing are broken off and it looks a little rough. It was like this when I bought it. There's even old glue where the previous owner apparently tried to glue the tail to the undertail :shake The guy didn't even use clear glue...

Has anyone on here *successfully* replaced fairing tabs? I know they sell a kit to mold and replace tass but it's pretty pricey ($35) for something that may not work. I'm considering buying a small sheet of ABS off of ebay and "welding" tabs on. I would just cut the tabs from that sheet I guess. I would like to avoid replacing the tail fairing if possible.

edit: Are the tabs in the most rear the same as the 2 that are more forward? If so I can just copy those and that would make this a lot easier. Thanks guys :thumbup

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After I get this tail to fit together nicely I'm going to try to either get my paint touched up or have my color changed. If I change it I haven't decided between paint or vinyl. I've been quoted the same price for both.

· Premium Member
12,696 Posts
I'm not sure which tab you're talking about. Is that on your 09' R1?
Yes. Very small tab that the windscreen puts a lot of pressure on but held up well with super glue.

If your tail is bad busted from previous owner, then that's an excuse to upgrade.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've used Quick Steel to repair broken fairing and headlight tabs before, it works great, you can shape it, sand it, paint it, etc, once it dries, its there for good .
I was thinking about this as an option too. I used it once before and liked it.
Other options I'm considering are plastic welding and superglue + baking soda

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. Very small tab that the windscreen puts a lot of pressure on but held up well with super glue.

If your tail is bad busted from previous owner, then that's an excuse to upgrade.
It's really not bad except for the tabs and the glue residue. I'd rather keep my fairings OEM if possible especially the ones near the exhaust.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NEW IDEA-----
Not sure if people will still open this thread but I don't want to make a new one if it's not necessary. What if I took both the tail fairing and undertail off and just glued/welded them into one fairing? I didn't realize it was a possibility until I saw this single piece race fairing online. Any downsides to doing this? Will it work?

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The previous owner told me that the guy before him broke the tabs and he blamed it on the Termignoni exhaust. I thought it was bullshit and he was just careless, is there anything to that? Someone on here said something about Termignoni fitment problems and it made me wonder.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, update: I have tried over and over and over to make these tabs and I can't do it. I ended up putting the tail fairing on and while holding it in place I used a soldering iron and plastic-welded the tail to the undertail from the inside where you can't see it

It looks good, the only downside is I can never take my tail fairing off now. That doesn't really bother me though because I never need to take it off. The only time it may be an issue is if/when I decide to change the color.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.