Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
CCS #228
881 Posts
This is the first I've heard of this but I think it is total BS how the justice system worked in those instances. $70 for a ****ing fine :eek: :mad: but cops are more than happy to give us as motorcyclists 3 times that when we hit secluded twisties :rant

RIP to those killed :(

·
Registered
633 Posts
What....the....f#@k?! There is no scenario that I can run through my head that would justify this guy getting off (from the info in the article.) How can this guy cross the center, kill 3, seriously injur 2, and NOT be found guilty? I don't care what lawyer he hired. What the hell is that? Even if the riders were speeding, they were on their own side. This pisses me off!! :boom

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
before you get all owrked up, maybe you should do some more investigation..............

Yes, the driver di kill three and injure several others.
Yes, the driver was negligent, he fell asleep at the wheel.
Yes, he did cross the center line.
Yes, he was driving a Union Pacific Van and was over his alootment of driving hours.
However, the LAW in Iowa allows juries to consider convicting a person on a lesser count than charged, UNLESS the defense counsel asks them not to.

So, what happened in a nutshell, was that the hotshot prosecuter, who should be tarred and feathered, decided he was going for a slam dunk to get his name in the papers, and charged the driver with crimes that meant he had to be proven to be CRIMINALLY negligent and acting in a CRIMINAL maner. Once he made these charges, the defense counsel asked for no lesser charges to be considered. Because it was easily proven that the driver did not act in a CRIMINAL way, but rather excercised poor judgment instead, the jury was left with no option but to find him not guilty of the charges.
They were however able to find him guilty of the traffic offenses that he was issued, which amounted to a $70.00 fine.
Unioin Pacific settled the ccivil si=uits out of court for undisclosed amounts and now the driver has to live with his actions for the rest of his life.
WRONG?
YES!!!!!

But i am more upset with the prosecutor and his stupidity than the driver who merely exercised poor judgement.

BTW, yes i knew one of those killed.
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts