Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Horatio Balsac
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've really been dissapointed with the current new 04 owners not posting more balls to the wall comparison's with current bikes. Yes, I know they need to be broke in, but when my friend picked his up Fri, he rode half the night in freezing weather, and most the day on Sat. to get it ready to face the gixxer on Sun. Well here are the results.

Weather: very windy, brisk 49 degrees

Length of race: To top speed - 2.5 mile stretch

Bikes: Red 04 R1 VS 2003 Blue White Gixxer 1K

Riders: Both extremly fast and closein ability. Both raced CCS and took 1 and 2 place in their respective midwest classes. Both weigh about 170-175. Both in full leathers.

Starts: Roll on only. It was decided that drag starts would not give us a good read of the two bikes head to head power.

First Pass going with wind, starting 2nd gear
Gixxer jumped to a slim lead, R1 then passed gixxer 1K and had 4 bike lengths by .5 mile. Race stays that way until top speed is reached. Speedo on the R1 reached 189 with RPMS to spare. Speedo on Gixxer reached 186 with RPMS to spare. Despite differing top speed #s both bikes seemed equal at top end. R1 WINS!

Second Pass going into the wind.
Gixxer actually won the race by 2 bike lengths! I'm beside myself and reconsidered my deposit that I have on the blue! I couldn't believe it.

Third and final pass with the wind
R1 wins by 6 bike lengths.

In case you have trouble reading between the lines, the gixxer has far better aerodynamics and wind protection than the new one. Even at a full tuck shoulders and helmet are still well exposed on the new R1. The gixxer on the other hand hides the rider well. BUT.....the R1 is faster!!!

In the end, it was decided that on a calm day, going balls to the wall, the R1 has more go juice than the gixxer. Also with the addition of a double bubble windscreen on the R1, it would not have been such an issue.

Also the guy with the new one, who also won his CCS class, said the R1 handles remarkably like his race R6, and the breaks are even better. It was a cold day, and he said he could have dragged his knee at any point.

I am now really excited about my 04. I'm next on the deposit list, should get mine next week. I'll let you know more.

:thumbup

PS: Just so you guys know, both bikes are fairly close. In a dead stop drag race, the best rider will win (that wasn't necessarily the case with a stock 02 R1), wether their on the Yamaha or Suzuki. BOTH BIKES ARE JUST AWESOME!!! Anyone should be happy with both.

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
I believe the reason the GSXR1000 won when racing into the wind was that the GSXR1000 has more torque than the R1.

·
Horatio Balsac
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fantatic:

I actually did my first track day last year at Gateway on my 02 R1. It was the best thing I've ever did as far as increasing my riding skill and having a blast on a motorcycle.

This year though, I can't go until June because I'm a teacher and baseball coach so my spring is full. I am going back later in the summer though. I want to hit the drag strip this time too. I've done that at KCIR in Kansas City and it was also a blast. My friends who race though told me that Gateway is a smaller track, and I would probably have more fun going to another track like MAM.

My summers are free, we need to try and ride together sometime.

·
Horatio Balsac
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gixxerman, it was a blast, and the weight of the riders is in the post.

·
Horatio Balsac
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wayburn said:
'04R1vs'03GIX,,,,where's the 04 on the gix? dont count out bugs

your comparo = :bs

In case you didn't know, 04 Gix and 03 Gix are the same except on color scheme. Why is my comparo BS? I have no reason to lie. I'm not brand loyal as you can see from my previous bikes.

·
70,000 miles on 4 R1's 01-04
2,385 Posts
ScaR1 said:
In case you didn't know, 04 Gix and 03 Gix are the same except on color scheme. Why is my comparo BS? I have no reason to lie. I'm not brand loyal as you can see from my previous bikes.
it wasnt bs, it certainly was better than nothing, given it wasnt the most exact test for many reasons but your not a pro either, thanks for the test:thumbup

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,538 Posts
ScaR1 said:
Fantatic:

I actually did my first track day last year at Gateway on my 02 R1. It was the best thing I've ever did as far as increasing my riding skill and having a blast on a motorcycle.

This year though, I can't go until June because I'm a teacher and baseball coach so my spring is full. I am going back later in the summer though. I want to hit the drag strip this time too. I've done that at KCIR in Kansas City and it was also a blast. My friends who race though told me that Gateway is a smaller track, and I would probably have more fun going to another track like MAM.

My summers are free, we need to try and ride together sometime.
cool!! :rock

This trackday will be my first, and I'm pretty excited! I've also heard that Gateway is a pretty small track (when not used for NASCAR races), and that the R1 will be a handful. I'm looking forward to the challenge.
A forum member posted this layout of Gateway's track. Looks like fun and I can't wait!! :jump

·
mmmmm...black bike
1,856 Posts
ScaR1 said:
Gixxerman, it was a blast, and the weight of the riders is in the post.

OOps I see it now :hellobye One more question....did they switch bikes??? That would help to rule out the bettter rider thought. :D I am glad to see that the R1 has caught up again....at least till next year :D

·
Horatio Balsac
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gateway is a good track for your first track day. Speeds are relatively slow compared to what I've heard about other tracks. By the 3rd or 4th session, you should be scraping knee! I'm excited for you, your going to love it. IMAGINE: NO CARS, NO ANIMALS, GREAT PAVEMENT, and also, ITS LEAGAL TO GO AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!

:jump :jump :jump :jump

·
Registered
785 Posts
Just be careful to get your bike preped ahead of time. You don't want to pull an all-nighter and then have brain fade while you're on the track!

·
Horatio Balsac
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MR_GIXXER_MAN said:
OOps I see it now :hellobye One more question....did they switch bikes??? That would help to rule out the bettter rider thought. :D I am glad to see that the R1 has caught up again....at least till next year :D
Your right Gixxerman, they should have switched bikes. It would have helped rule out another variable. Wish you were with us to suggest it :hellobye. We usually do that when testing new bikes, but these two guys are so close in skill and shifting tech. it didn't cross our minds.

These two guys race (now in an expert class) constantly. They're usually close in a race.

·
Horatio Balsac
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PurpleLion said:
Just be careful to get your bike preped ahead of time. You don't want to pull an all-nighter and then have brain fade while you're on the track!
:yesnod Excellent point. I actually had fun preping my bike.

·
mmmmm...black bike
1,856 Posts
ScaR1 said:
Your right Gixxerman, they should have switched bikes. It would have helped rule out another variable. Wish you were with us to suggest it :hellobye. We usually do that when testing new bikes, but these two guys are so close in skill and shifting tech. it didn't cross our minds.

These two guys race (now in an expert class) constantly. They're usually close in a race.

Yep I am not doubting their skills...but you can say the same thing if you got like Eboz and Mladin racing the bikes...they are both professional racers...but one could get the jump on the other. I sure wish I was there too it sounded like a lot of fun. (I know I sure would have mentioned it;) ) :hellobye

·
Horatio Balsac
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fanatic:

I believe turn 7 is a decreasing radius. This corner will take you a good part of the day to find the fastest line. The apex is very tough to hit at speed.

·
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
1,238 Posts
Swedie said:
I believe the reason the GSXR1000 won when racing into the wind was that the GSXR1000 has more torque than the R1.
That's what i was thinking...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts