Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I needs some help making a decision lol. I love riding (as we all obviously do), i have no problem riding the street except for the fact that the r1 really isn't that comfortable and I tend to give in to my speed demon. I've really been thinking of posting my factory fairings for sale and getting a set of track plastics and never going back on the street with it. I'm from wisconsin so our season is shorter so I'm not sure how many track days i could really get in a year. What really worries me is i'm going to go thru withdrawls during the in between time of track days. Any one have any experience with that? lol

The one thing that really has pushed me to track only is because i'm a dumbass...and got an OWI back in november. (And no it wasn't on the bike, riding keeps me from drinking!) My insurance hasn't ran my record YET so i'm still paying a cheap rate, but when they do i'll be dropped or rates will go way up, obviously. This has me thinking i should just jump ahead of the gun and take it off the street.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't ride my 2018 R1M on the street anymore. Only track days now. Don't miss the street at all. Can't ride the bike the way it's supposed to be ridden on the street. Plus it isn't comfortable for long hauls your right. Much nicer taken it out and riding it hard all the time now. Don't have to worry about cops, idiots and dirt/water on the road!!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah it really is not a fun bike on the street. To get it to the fun zone you're already speeding. I may have to just get a set of track plastics and be done with it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
OUR12!
76 Posts
90% track now. To many 'road challenges' to go back to long sunday rides through the twisties. Plus the r1 gets shat mpg. Now I just ride it around the block to 'sweep out the cobwebs in the curves" and put fuel into it. It sucks, the time between track days, but riding on the street just squares off my tires that could be better used on track days.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just switched my R1 to track only. I don’t go through withdrawals. It’s nothing like the street because you are always aching to go fast and never being fulfilled or at least I wasn’t. I switched to track for a year now and don’t miss the street. I go balls to the wall per my standards and get my thrill out of the way once a month or twice a month. I haven’t ridden since December and I am not itching idk maybe I’m different because I also had a son and I stay home to spend time with him. But yeah no regrets. I got street plastics and rear sets sitting in a box now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
you can try track days with street plastics for now if you want to test the waters. its definitely more fun on the track but i do miss putting around so now the M i use for street and i have found i am a lot calmer and riding is more relaxed i don't feel the need to try to go fast on the street because why bother. if you have limited track days and u miss a couple because of other plans or whatever it is a shitty feeling so maybe don't sell the street plastics quite yet

·
Top Heavy
28 Posts
Best is if you can afford a dedicated trackbike and a streetbike.
Even though I prefer the track for most my riding, a put to get coffee or food with friends is nice now and then.
My R1M is my coffee getter and my PaniR is my trackbike.
Even for a coffee getter I enjoy the tight aggressive riding position of the R1 much more than anything more relaxed like the S1000RR.

·
My R1 is my Pacemaker
567 Posts
I went full track last year.. I had a 07 r6 track prepped w all I needed and kept my M for street until I decided to take her for some laps at a track day and that was the last time she ever was a street bike.. immediately after that TD I went full race bike on the M and sold the stock carbon fairings but I'm debating getting another M for the street as I do miss riding if not a M ill get a reg R1.. with my new work schedule I can do TD or Racing every weekend thru Sunday anymore so I don't want to cut back on my Mileage... you will love it as long as you can consistently make it to track days

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I sold my R1M because I didnt feel it was a bike meant for the streets. I switched to a 1299s and love it a lot more for the street. I've recently gone back to the track now and wish I had my R1M (where it can be stretched out a lot more). I'll likely switch back over to the M for the track.

·
Twisty Roads for me!
859 Posts
IMO, I say do both. I will never give up street riding when you can make yearly trips down to Deals Gap and the roads around it. I have a total of 4 sportbikes, and they do both Track and Street duties. I believe the street is more about the adventure than going balls out like you can on the track since the track is between 1.5 miles to 5 miles, which is much easier to learn than highly technical roads. My 15 R1 is by far the most comfortable street bike that I ever owned, and the worst for street riding/track was my old 2011 S1000rr.

Stan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts