Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
R1 & Done
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Wow from the looks of the pics you would think it was a super low mileage bike. I’ve had 2 zx7 and wow fairing parts were expensive for that baby. Hard to believe how heavy the pieces are on that bike. But it was the shit in my eyes right up until the R1 came out. Actually the R7 was is and always will be a dream but I knew it just wasn’t going to happen. Lol so the R1 has been my passion since 1998. I’ve always been a Yamaha fan with the exception of the love I had for the zx7. It’s so weird seeing one in person nowadays they look like a dinosaur. Lol but it sure is a pretty one.
A very good friend of mine owned it and he took great care of it. The R7 is awesome, Iconic Motorbikes has one right now. They deal with classic sportbikes, imma a huge fan of there stuff. I do love the R1 over the ZX7R for sure, I actually bought this bike to take to an advanced riders course but that is post poned.

We appear to have a similar taste in bikes, This was my ZX7
Beautiful man, still have it?

·
R1 & Done
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Nice bikes brother! Love that kawi!
Still riding my 03 gixxer with almost 150k
That is awesome. Mind posting some pictures? Have you had to do anything major to it over the years or just routine maintenance? I love hearing about high mileage sport bikes:burnout:

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,329 Posts
Wow that is awesome a 03 gsxr 150k ??? Wow
Hey I’m now curious as to why you picked up a zx7 for the advanced riders course when you have the R1 and a gsxr 750 both of which I’d prefer for a advanced course myself. Just curious??

·
Registered
363 Posts

Attachments

·
R1 & Done
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wow that is awesome a 03 gsxr 150k ??? Wow
Hey I’m now curious as to why you picked up a zx7 for the advanced riders course when you have the R1 and a gsxr 750 both of which I’d prefer for a advanced course myself. Just curious??
R1 i dont want to wreck cause it's a 50th

GSXR1000 i dont want to wreck cause it is a unusual paint scheme and it is close to mint and its my eleanor

CBR1000R i dont want to wreck cause it is a limited edition and rare

Yamaha R6 I daily drive it.

Those first 3 are all bikes i drooled over and loved when they came out, now im older and i enjoy them and treat them like queens. I dont really care for Kawasaki and the ZX7R if i wrecked it it wouldnt be the end of the world for me. Ive actually never wrecked but I also dont want to beat on or damage something i have sentimental value towards or dreamed about. Hope that makes sense.

·
R1 & Done
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
363 Posts
It was worth me turning my screen upside down to see, thanks for sharing man it looks like it is in great shape.
Thanks! I had a 90 zx10 that I put 100k on, but it didn’t run really well at that point. The suz won’t stop runnin😬 I’ve change a few ecu’s and fuel pumps. At 100k change timing chain. It burns a little oil, but still moves out pretty quick. It’ll launch better than my 17r1m too:crying:

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,329 Posts
R1 i dont want to wreck cause it's a 50th

GSXR1000 i dont want to wreck cause it is a unusual paint scheme and it is close to mint and its my eleanor

CBR1000R i dont want to wreck cause it is a limited edition and rare

Yamaha R6 I daily drive it.

Those first 3 are all bikes i drooled over and loved when they came out, now im older and i enjoy them and treat them like queens. I dont really care for Kawasaki and the ZX7R if i wrecked it it wouldnt be the end of the world for me. Ive actually never wrecked but I also dont want to beat on or damage something i have sentimental value towards or dreamed about. Hope that makes sense.
I see now it makes more sense, the R1 is my passion and always has been since 1998 when they first came out. Before that the zx7 was my love and I had a 94 and a 96 model zx7. My current 04 R1 is my absolute favorite bike I’ve ever owned. Found it a year or so ago absolutely mint with 715 miles on it. 4,500 miles on it now and I love it.

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,396 Posts
Cool story bro! Ian can be ur best friend...He loves yellow too :lol

I forgotten how BIG the headlights were on these 04-06's. Some jap must of got a little off the drawing board with that one :lol

·
R1 & Done
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks! I had a 90 zx10 that I put 100k on, but it didn’t run really well at that point. The suz won’t stop runnin😬 I’ve change a few ecu’s and fuel pumps. At 100k change timing chain. It burns a little oil, but still moves out pretty quick. It’ll launch better than my 17r1m too:crying:
That's awesome man. How come you had to change ECU so many times though? When you swap them out will it start right away or does it need to be flashed at that point?

·
R1 & Done
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I see now it makes more sense, the R1 is my passion and always has been since 1998 when they first came out. Before that the zx7 was my love and I had a 94 and a 96 model zx7. My current 04 R1 is my absolute favorite bike I’ve ever owned. Found it a year or so ago absolutely mint with 715 miles on it. 4,500 miles on it now and I love it.
:surprise: 715 miles? wow man that's crazy. Got any pictures? How come the previous owner didn't put any miles on it?

·
R1 & Done
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Cool story bro! Ian can be ur best friend...He loves yellow too :lol

I forgotten how BIG the headlights were on these 04-06's. Some jap must of got a little off the drawing board with that one :lol
Lol sounds good....who is Ian though? lol

Yeah I had a 2010 and a 1999 before this and you are right the headlights do have alot more real estate then other years.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That's awesome man. How come you had to change ECU so many times though? When you swap them out will it start right away or does it need to be flashed at that point?
The first Ecu lasted about a 100k .
Spark and timing would start to scatter when it would get hot. It was difficult to diagnose as well.
I’m not sure if they ever flashed the old bikes. Just put it in and fires right up.

·
R1 & Done
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The first Ecu lasted about a 100k .
Spark and timing would start to scatter when it would get hot. It was difficult to diagnose as well.
I’m not sure if they ever flashed the old bikes. Just put it in and fires right up.
Is that a common issue for that year or just a freak thing

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,329 Posts
:surprise: 715 miles? wow man that's crazy. Got any pictures? How come the previous owner didn't put any miles on it?
Well the guy selling it actually had 3 for sale and all 3 were his bikes he bought brand new. A 98 R1,04 R1 and a Ducati. The 98 R1 was his daily I guess you would call it with 3,500 miles on it the 04 (mine) had 715 and the Ducati had 66 miles on it. I guess he just liked taking care of them more than anything. Here’s a pic of mine when it was for sale and one of it now.

·
R1 & Done
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I think the real question would be how many sport bikes even hit a 100k before they’re destroyed from other things?
This I have read alot on, more so when searching for the info on how much longevity you can get from a sport bike engine. The more I read the more I found out the engines can actually live into very high miles BUT dont because they are usually wrecked. I would say a solid 90% get wrecked or dont reach over 60K miles

·
R1 & Done
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well the guy selling it actually had 3 for sale and all 3 were his bikes he bought brand new. A 98 R1,04 R1 and a Ducati. The 98 R1 was his daily I guess you would call it with 3,500 miles on it the 04 (mine) had 715 and the Ducati had 66 miles on it. I guess he just liked taking care of them more than anything. Here’s a pic of mine when it was for sale and one of it now.
That's awesome, I laughed when you said it was his daily driver with 3500 miles.... hahaha. The bike looks incredible, would love to find a low mileage older bike like that in a future. I can understand enjoying taking care of them more then enjoying riding them. You will see in my signature I have more then one person could ever drive and enjoy but i enjoy them all in different ways. Some of those ways are just maintaining them appearance and mechanically.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This I have read alot on, more so when searching for the info on how much longevity you can get from a sport bike engine. The more I read the more I found out the engines can actually live into very high miles BUT dont because they are usually wrecked. I would say a solid 90% get wrecked or dont reach over 60K miles
I would say your numbers are correct. I’ve heard a lot of Busa’s Go the distance
When my Kawi hit a 100k most were in disbelief since it’s always the bmw’s that would get that sort of miles. When I bought the gixxer, it was the highest hp at the time 153 at rear tire and pretty light. I never thought it would hit a 100k due to everything being so light and a lot of hp. I even bet my old mechanic that it would be lucky to hit 60k! Now I think it’ll go 200k and since it’s not really worth anything, I’m going for it😬😬
It’ll be interesting to me to see if Yammie can go the distance. In 2000 I bought my first one. It was a great bike and I put 8k in the first 8 months, but it got stolen.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
8 Participants
Jimmy boy
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing