Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
My LE ate me
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'm not on crack, or anything else. I have worked on my bikes and cars for 30 years plus. I am licensed electrician. I am changing my battery on my '06 and found the battery terminals on both my new battery and old one to match. However, my bikes red positive cable is and has been hooked up to the negative side of the battery since new, and vice-versa. I have speedo healer, power commander all working normaly. Bike shop says red cable is on right side of bike, like mine, but their battery is marked positive on the right side. Can anyone clear up my polarity dilemma?:dunno

·
President Elect
1,904 Posts
Welcome to bazzaar world my friend.....mechanic for 30 years....seen it once!!! if battery is discharched totally and charged the opposite the ground becomes positive and the negotive becomes possitive ...like the old english style small cars were originally made....the body is positive instead being ground...my buddy came down from two states and said he was haveing some strange issues with his car.....the first thing I noticed was the positive terminal on his battery showed ground!! put a new battery in it and all his small electric issues dissapeared....questioning him about the situation revealed thats what happened...he charged the battery in reverse polarity and it ran OK but some of the secondary components (blower motor and charging) systems didn't work right...strange things indeed.....

·
My LE ate me
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but that means my original battery was charged wrong(doubtful), and all accessaries I have hooked up would have had problems. None. Also, old and new battery are marked identically. My bike has worked puurfectly for three years.:flex:

·
My LE ate me
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I just found out the hard way. What are the chances? How can the stock battery be charged backwords? Why did everything, including accessaries work normally? My negative cable doesn't even reach! F!*>*^#!!!. I guess phil was right. My main fuse is now blown due to a factory fu&$%^#@! up. Live and learn. :ugh old battery, new battery in bike.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
Well I just found out the hard way. What are the chances? How can the stock battery be charged backwords? Why did everything, including accessaries work normally? My negative cable doesn't even reach! F!*>*^#!!!. I guess phil was right. My main fuse is now blown due to a factory fu&$%^#@! up. Live and learn. :ugh
Phil is the electric guru in these parts!
I may have a fuse. Have to check. I live close by in Lawndale.

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
show pics . it is almost impossible to put the battery the wrong way.

·
My LE ate me
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
check previous post. It shows the same installation position.

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
i dont know whats going on there .
if u will connect the battery the wrong way , the ecu / speedo cluster wont work .so u wont even be able to charge it backwards. the only way the bike can run with reversed connected battery is if u reverse charged the battery in the first place.

·
My LE ate me
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly, thats why the battery must have been reversed charged from new, and the dealer reversed the cables to make it work from the beginning.

·
My LE ate me
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
juice flowing normaly

My problem has been solved. My battery was in fact charged with reverse polarity. Then, the dealership I purchased the bike from installed the battery reversed, with the poles on opposite sides. (it can be done). Everything is as its supposed to be now, with all juices flowing properly.:rock

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
My problem has been solved. My battery was in fact charged with reverse polarity. Then, the dealership I purchased the bike from installed the battery reversed, with the poles on opposite sides. (it can be done). Everything is as its supposed to be now, with all juices flowing properly.:rock
Which dealer so we can watch out!?

·
President Elect
1,904 Posts
....Thanks Sal for your input....your always a good voice for info....DDR1 seems..may have "fixed" his problem...but just a quick note... about history of my experience with reverse polarity......DVOM will show 12 volts no matter how the leads are hooked up...no matter what your working on....if polarity is in question....the display on DVOM will show a negative sign on the left side of the voltage display...if polarity is reversed...easy to overlook!! My buddy drained his battery totally years ago charged the battery in reverse....droped his daughter of in west va ...came through Md ..into Va
with battery light on with wierd electric problems....as previous post stated... I put new battery in and one fuse and all was well.....

·
Will stoppie for coyotes
495 Posts
Well I just found out the hard way. What are the chances? How can the stock battery be charged backwords? Why did everything, including accessaries work normally? My negative cable doesn't even reach! F!*>*^#!!!. I guess phil was right. My main fuse is now blown due to a factory fu&$%^#@! up. Live and learn. :ugh old battery, new battery in bike.
FWIW, that battery is not installed in the bike properly. It's supposed to be laying in its side, with the top of the battery facing the rear of the bike. (Turn it sideways 180 degrees, then tilt 90 degrees to the rear.) If you put it in properly, the positive terminal will be on the right side of the bike and the cables will reach properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yamaha R1 battery appears to be reverse connected

I just spent a full day with this problem.

I removed the seat on my Yamaha 2011 R1. The red cable was hooked to the right side of the battery and the black cable to the left. There is no way to see the markings on the battery as they are covered by the bike's case.

I disconnected the cables and lifted out the battery.

When I set the battery on the work bench upright I noticed the right side of the battery was labeled negative and the left side positive !!!!!!!!!

Impossible - right?

I checked and all batteries that size when standing upright have the negative terminal on the right side.

No way the Red cable will reach to the left side, so battery must be in backwards - right? WRONG!!!

The battery was correctly hooked up - Positive to Red terminal, Black to negative terminal.

How could this be?

Well the answer is astoundingly simple.
The battery on its side when in the bike!
Now the right side of the batter is positive.
Left side is negative.

The problem is the battery is almost as wide as it is tall.
When we removed the battery we didn't realize it was on its side.
Since my whole life batteries are upright, it never occurred to me that is was on its side from the beginning correctly hooked up - positive terminal to red positive cable.
Negative terminal to black Negative cable.

So put the old battery or the new battery back in the bike on its side and the positive terminal will be on the right side near the red cable.
And the negative terminal will be on the left side near the black terminal.

Wish someone had noticed this before and saved me a day of frustration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yamaha R1 battery appears to be reverse connected

I just spent a full day with this problem.

I removed the seat on my Yamaha 2011 R1. The red cable was hooked to the right side of the battery and the black cable to the left. There is no way to see the markings on the battery as they are covered by the bike's case.

I disconnected the cables and lifted out the battery.

When I set the battery on the work bench upright I noticed the right side of the battery was labeled negative and the left side positive !!!!!!!!!

Impossible - right?

I checked and all batteries that size when standing upright have the negative terminal on the right side.

No way the Red cable will reach to the left side, so battery must be in backwards - right? WRONG!!!

The battery was correctly hooked up - Positive to Red terminal, Black to negative terminal.

How could this be?

Well the answer is astoundingly simple.
The battery on its side when in the bike!
Now the right side of the batter is positive.
Left side is negative.

The problem is the battery is almost as wide as it is tall.
When we removed the battery we didn't realize it was on its side.
Since my whole life batteries are upright, it never occurred to me that is was on its side from the beginning correctly hooked up - positive terminal to red positive cable.
Negative terminal to black Negative cable.

So put the old battery or the new battery back in the bike on its side and the positive terminal will be on the right side near the red cable.
And the negative terminal will be on the left side near the black terminal.

Wish someone had noticed this before and saved me a day of frustration.
Thank you, I’ve been researching this very same problem with my 2014 R1 today, was confused as to why my battery terminals didn’t match my cables. Reading and watching YouTube videos I had seen someone mention about the polarity of the battery being charged backwards. So I installed it the way I thought I had taken it out. But I ended up blowing a fuse and gave up on it. Got back online late in the evening and found this forum and your post. Now the battery is installed properly will have to get a new fuse tomorrow and see if it will crank properly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts