Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
2005 Yamaha R1
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
oh baby...

Still need to paint the tank and some trim pieces, but otherwise she's almost ready for a trail run. I'm installing the steering damper on right now!

Ray

·
I pretend my R1 is Rossi
195 Posts
So it's been a few years now... How is the paint holding up? I read somewhere else that someone got a Chinese fairing kit and a year later the clearcoat was cracking, and colors under it had faded. Of course you don't need to worry about fading, but I'd love to know how these fairings are holding up for people.

·
2005 Yamaha R1
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So it's been a few years now... How is the paint holding up? I read somewhere else that someone got a Chinese fairing kit and a year later the clearcoat was cracking, and colors under it had faded. Of course you don't need to worry about fading, but I'd love to know how these fairings are holding up for people.
Yes, it's phenomenal - still looks as good as the day I bought it. I store the bike inside my home (in the entry way), so it's climate controlled, but the body work still looks amazing. Whatever paint & clear coat they used, it holds up very well. The only area that isn't pristine is one small line where my girlfriend sometimes drags her boot when getting on and off the bike (she's only 4'9, so sometimes her right boot marks up the edge of the rear fairing a bit). Usually I can just rub the color out with a rag or some polishing compound.

Overall, A++ on whoever made this particular body kit.

Ray

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
14 Participants
YZF-Rich
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing