Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I called Ti-Force regarding the issues with the exhaust tips pointing in a strange position. They stated that they should be okay when actually mounted on a bike.

However, they also sent a picture of the following can with an optional conical end cap. This cap will cost $100-200 extra. They have not yet decided on the pricing. If you want a system with the end caps, you might want to e-mail them. The more interest in the caps, possibly, the lower the price!

Attachments

·
FOREVER ON MY GRIND
567 Posts
Not bad.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skip at Ti-Force also mentioned that the R1 pipes are rated at 102db. This is much louder than the normal Ti-Force pipe which is usually 98db!

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,485 Posts
I don't understand why this is "optional?" They should take their time while designing the pipes so that the angles of the end caps aren't "strange."
Maybe they rushed to keep up with demand.....or are just trying to squeeze out an extra $100-$200 for their system? :dunno

·
fear is healthy
1,038 Posts
You beat me with the Ti Force end cap shape.I saw this at the trade show and think they should be talked into making it a standard feature as it would make it cheaper if ALL of the silencers are the same and not an option!I would not want to pay an extra £100 for the different shape but if it was standard I think it could be the nicest system available.

Attachments

·
Down with the sickness
281 Posts
Looks just like their dirt bike pipes. Many of the exhaust manufacturers design their dirt bike pipes with this kind of end cap.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
R1Fanatic said:
I don't understand why this is "optional?" They should take their time while designing the pipes so that the angles of the end caps aren't "strange."
Maybe they rushed to keep up with demand.....or are just trying to squeeze out an extra $100-$200 for their system? :dunno
Sorry, I guess that I was not clear enough. The normal end cap will point straight (as it should) when the pipes are actually mounted on a bike. See the picture below.

The optional conical end cap is just that an optional appearance choice. This cap is expensive to make, so they must charge extra for it. Possibly, if a bunch of us want to get the system with the optional cap, we can arrange a group buy.

Attachments

·
6,485 Posts
PurpleLion said:
Sorry, I guess that I was not clear enough. The normal end cap will point straight (as it should) when the pipes are actually mounted on a bike. See the picture below.

The optional conical end cap is just that an optional appearance choice. This cap is expensive to make, so they must charge extra for it. Possibly, if a bunch of us want to get the system with the optional cap, we can arrange a group buy.
oh, ok, thanks for the clarification PurpleLion. I initially thought there was a flaw in the standard design.

:hellobye

·
Super Moderator
21,669 Posts
PurpleLion said:
This cap will cost $100-200 extra. They have not yet decided on the pricing.
It's a good looking pipe, but still it should come stock with those
new ends. Everyone is going to want them and they know that.
So, as a option they are trying to get one to two hundred more
dollars from what's going to be a high demand and high priced
product without those tips. Sounds like very good marketing to
make more money for the company. It just makes me mad to
see a system that looks that good and then they make you turn
around and sink more money into some little cosmetic add on
like those tips. Who knows maybe they will decide to make all the
new pipes for the '04 with the tips.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem is that there is a high capitial equipment cost associated with those tips (stamping dies, I think) and they have to have some way to recoup that cost. I don't see it as unfair. You can choose the same tips that everyone else uses, or, you can pay moreto get a more distinctive look.

And yes, they do look a little retro. They remind me of the pipes on a 1970 Norton Commando (the R1 of its day).

Attachments

·
6,485 Posts
Re: Re: Revised Ti-Force Cans

Skeeter said:
It just makes me mad to
see a system that looks that good and then they make you turn
around and sink more money into some little cosmetic add on
like those tips.
Yup, that's what I was thinking. If Akra, Yosh, etc. can price their Titanium and Carbon Fiber pipes the same, why can't Ti-Force do the same with the end caps?
Oh well, I like the Yosh pipes on the '04 better than the Ti-Force anyways....

·
fear is healthy
1,038 Posts
It looks like the conical end can is being used on another bike already so look at the image and let me know if you agree..........
So I would hope it should not cost too much to have it on all R1 systems. :dollar

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
I agree...
I bet it'll look pretty good. I just wanted to see how the exits looked next to each other. I'm still waiting to see what the Arata '04's will look like as well.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
It would be better if they produced the system with the outlets pointing slightly downward and inward, rather than outward. Pointing them outward is almost certainly an aerodymanic error, as on the stock pipe, a functional design compromise for the purpose of aesthetic appearances.

·
fear is healthy
1,038 Posts
The shape only makes them look like they aim outward but in reality they just aim straight or very slightly inwards if it is based on the MX cones.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts